Cannot update to 4.3 - Service Unavailable

NickNacNo

Reaction score
I've been trying to run the software update on my phone, as well as other update ideas for nearly four weeks unsuccessfully, so I'm hoping that you guys can help me out. I've tried researching this problem on my own to no avail. My Verizon S4 (SCH-I545) is currently running Android version 4.2.2 and I believe the phone is not rooted. I don't know if this is needed also but the Baseband version is I545VRUDMI1.

Here is what I've tried thus far:

1. The first thing I tried was the regular update via the phone. I go to Settings > More > About phone, and click Software update. A pop-up appears that has "Software update" as the header with a Status = Not available, Status last checked on = Not available (more on this later), and a button that reads 'Check New' at the bottom. When I click 'Check New', it performs an update check and comes back with "Service Unavailable; Software update is temporarily unavailable. Try again later". I've tried this at least 50 times over the past month. I'm fairly sure the Verizon update service IS available so I don't know what is causing the issue.

2. This phone isn't the original S4. My wife dropped my first one so I believe the replacement I received is a refurb, however, I cannot confirm this. In researching my "cannot update" issue I believe I read somewhere that refurbs can have issues that prevents them from updating. I found at least one comment where a user encountered the same unavailable problem with their refurb and performed an FDR, and this fixed their problem. I decided to hold off on an reset for a while because I didn't want to lose my settings, homepage, etc. but finally gave in. As of today, I've done five complete factory data resets, both through the Settings menu and from the boot menu, but still haven't been able to update to 4.3. A couple of things to add- before I did the FDR, when I tried to run the software update the "Status last checked on" = 10/08/2013. After the FDR it now reads "Not available" (mentioned above in #1). I also need to note that I've unsuccessfully tried clearing cache from the boot menu numerous times and every time I get an error. I don't know why this happens but figured I should mention it.

3. My Kies fiasco. I installed Kies on my machine before performing any FDR in the hope that syncing, backing up my entire phone, and restoring it from Kies would save me time and the heartache of setting up my phone after the FDR. Unfortunately, the restore only partially worked so I lost all of my saved app and game info, and I'm still trying to get all of my settings the way I want. I wasn't able to find a way to perform the update to Android version 4.3 but I was able to update the firmware version through Kies. I don't know what the old firmware was but the current is PDA:MI1 / PHONE: MI1/ CSC:MI1 (VZW). I don't know what this info is for but Kies does confirm that this is the latest firmware for my phone.

So that's where I stand right now. I'm dreading going into a store because I'm sure they'll want me to replace the phone again and I don't want to do that. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do and what could be preventing the update? I prefer to not run anymore FDR's but will if I have too. Thanks.

OP
NickNacNo

NickNacNo

Reaction score
I've been trying to run the software update on my phone, as well as other update ideas for nearly four weeks unsuccessfully, so I'm hoping that you guys can help me out. I've tried researching this problem on my own to no avail. My Verizon S4 (SCH-I545) is currently running Android version 4.2.2 and I believe the phone is not rooted. I don't know if this is needed also but the Baseband version is I545VRUDMI1.

Here is what I've tried thus far:

1. The first thing I tried was the regular update via the phone. I go to Settings > More > About phone, and click Software update. A pop-up appears that has "Software update" as the header with a Status = Not available, Status last checked on = Not available (more on this later), and a button that reads 'Check New' at the bottom. When I click 'Check New', it performs an update check and comes back with "Service Unavailable; Software update is temporarily unavailable. Try again later". I've tried this at least 50 times over the past month. I'm fairly sure the Verizon update service IS available so I don't know what is causing the issue.

2. This phone isn't the original S4. My wife dropped my first one so I believe the replacement I received is a refurb, however, I cannot confirm this. In researching my "cannot update" issue I believe I read somewhere that refurbs can have issues that prevents them from updating. I found at least one comment where a user encountered the same unavailable problem with their refurb and performed an FDR, and this fixed their problem. I decided to hold off on an reset for a while because I didn't want to lose my settings, homepage, etc. but finally gave in. As of today, I've done five complete factory data resets, both through the Settings menu and from the boot menu, but still haven't been able to update to 4.3. A couple of things to add- before I did the FDR, when I tried to run the software update the "Status last checked on" = 10/08/2013. After the FDR it now reads "Not available" (mentioned above in #1). I also need to note that I've unsuccessfully tried clearing cache from the boot menu numerous times and every time I get an error. I don't know why this happens but figured I should mention it.

3. My Kies fiasco. I installed Kies on my machine before performing any FDR in the hope that syncing, backing up my entire phone, and restoring it from Kies would save me time and the heartache of setting up my phone after the FDR. Unfortunately, the restore only partially worked so I lost all of my saved app and game info, and I'm still trying to get all of my settings the way I want. I wasn't able to find a way to perform the update to Android version 4.3 but I was able to update the firmware version through Kies. I don't know what the old firmware was but the current is PDA:MI1 / PHONE: MI1/ CSC:MI1 (VZW). I don't know what this info is for but Kies does confirm that this is the latest firmware for my phone.

So that's where I stand right now. I'm dreading going into a store because I'm sure they'll want me to replace the phone again and I don't want to do that. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do and what could be preventing the update? I prefer to not run anymore FDR's but will if I have too. Thanks.

OP
NickNacNo

NickNacNo

Reaction score
Have you tried using Verizon Software Assistant to repair the software?

I knew I was going to leave something out. I did try the Verizon Upgrade Assistant the other day and it says I'm currently up to date.

I didn't do the repair assistant though. I just started it and it will take 30-90 minutes. I will follow-up after its complete. It looks like the VZ backup in the Assistant is almost exactly the same as the Kies backup but I'm hoping this one will actually "restore" my old settings & apps this time around.

OP
NickNacNo

NickNacNo

Reaction score
I just completed the VZ Repair Assistant with a backup and restore. Still in the VZ program on my desktop and the Upgrade Assistant says my phone Status = Up to date and the option to upgrade is grayed out. My phone's Android version is still at 4.2.2 and when I try the Software update on the phone I get the "Service unavailable" message.

GVLBob

Reaction score
It's now time to call Verizon and get them to fix your phone. I believe there is a setting somewhere they need to reset.

OP
NickNacNo

NickNacNo

Reaction score
I spoke with Verizon this morning and explained to the rep. all of the steps I've tried in trying to get the update. They confirmed my account and data was in good status but couldn't determine why the update isn't working. They put me through to Samsung support who then tried to push the update directly to my phone but that still didn't work. I discussed with the Samsung tech all of the work-arounds I attempted and it was decided my phone needs to have a software refresh directly from Samsung. Now the only option I have left is to send the phone in to Samsung for them to do this and he said it will take 10 - 12 days to complete, after they receive the unit. If this doesn't work and they decide my unit is eligible for replacement they may do that. Unfortunately, I must have my phone for work so I cannot go without it for that long and Samsung wouldn't send me any loaner phones during this service. I pressed on this too.

So now my only option is to go to Verizon and see if they'll give me a loaner for the next few weeks, then send my phone off to Samsung. At this point my frustration with this whole update saga is very high and I'm to say to hell with it, except for the fact I have to have 4.3 to use the Galaxy Gear I "might" get for Christmas. Other than that I'm trying not to think about what I'll be missing by staying on 4.2.2 for the infinite future.

GVLBob

Reaction score
I would try another Verizon rep. I'm guessing that there is a setting at Verizon end that is blocking the update.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

tech_head

Silver Member
Reaction score
This does suck.
On the flip side, I now keep an extra LTE phone, just in case.
We have 3 LTE phones in my house and one is bound to fail at some point.
Having a spare means we at least don't have to go without a phone if one dies.

OP
NickNacNo

NickNacNo

Reaction score
I called Verizon this morning and talked at length with a different rep. He basically explained to me that when the original Android 4.3 was pushed there were some fairly big bugs so Verizon stopped pushing it out to customers that hadn't updated yet, and this is likely why I'm unable to get the update. Verizon just released a new version with a fix for the bugs included on December 11. He said they are currently rolling this out in stages and I should receive the update soon.

This is good news if what he said is actually true so I'm just going to be patient and hopefully 4.3 will come along in the next week or so. Thanks for everyone's help.

J

jay.le

Hey guys!

I read this thread and was hoping to hear back if waiting for December 11th had fixed the problem.
My phone (Galaxy S4) does pretty much the same. It is also a Verizon phone, rooted. Nothing of the other steps did help.
Since my phone Status is showing "Standard", it shouldn't be a problem with the root etc.

I bought the phone from a friend who extended his contract and didn't want. I'm using a different provider, so I guess I can't really ask Verizon. Maybe Samsung would be able to help.

Did anyone of you has any other ideas?

Thanks!