Cannot send text or sms over wireless network...

LabShark

Reaction score
I am on vacation where there is poor 3G/4G connection, but the wireless is great. But I cannot send any txt or sms messages at all. I have to drive a few miles to where 3G is up and running. I can text and sms fine from my home network.
Any ideas?

:)

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Text messages are sent via the network.. as far as I know what you're experiencing is a poor connection... try rebooting your device and trying again...

DROID RAZR MAXXIMIZED!!!! PREPARE TO BE VANQUISHED!!!

Last edited:
OP
L

LabShark

Reaction score
Text messages are sent via the network.. as far as I know what you're experiencing is a poor connection... try rebooting your device and trying again...

WiFi at our location is great strength. I can browse over it easily.....just not send texts of any kind.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
WiFi at our location is great strength. I can browse over it easily.....just not send texts of any kind.

It's because you don't have cellular signal from Verizon. Neither SMS or MMS will work over WiFi alone. They both require an active connection to Verizon's cellular network just like making a phone call. It's part of your account that's tied to your phone number, so they're sent via the cellular network and not a WiFi network. If you don't have cellular signal, there's no way to send either.

Last edited:

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Yeah, as I said... texts are mobile network.. not wifi .

DROID RAZR MAXXIMIZED!!!! PREPARE TO BE VANQUISHED!!!

OP
L

LabShark

Reaction score
I did not know that. I have my data off at home when on wifi
And can text just fine......but not sms. Odd.

Trash Can

Reaction score

What I believe you are trying to say is that you can send/receive SMS text messages, but not MMS/picture messages with the above configuration. MMS messages require a cellular data connection.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL

You might have your cellular data off, but your cellular connection to Verizon's voice network is not off. You can still make and receive phone calls when at home on WiFi, right? That's what allows you to send SMS messages too. They are sent via the voice network, and that will work whether you're connected to WiFi or not. MMS messages are sent over Verizon's data network (and I think you meant to say "but not MMS" since you need to be on 3G/4G to send those), so you'll need a cellular data connection to send those. If you're on WiFi, and your cellular data connection is disabled, MMS messages won't send/receive.

So, if you don't have a cellular connection of any kind (like you described in the first post), you won't be able to send/receive either.

Last edited:

joshxdroid

Reaction score
You can use an app such as pinger free for texting over wifi. It will give you a different number, but it works. I use it on my non activated devices.

OP
L

LabShark

Reaction score
I guess I am a bit confused as well as using incorrect terminology. At the end of that day - my phone is useless....except for web browsing. I cannot make or receive calls. I cannot send or receive ANY form of texts that I am aware of. Perhaps I have a setting wrong. I cannot even send a 4 letter test text to anybody. I get the error....."message not sent".

Maybe a better question is "Is there a way to send any type of text message when there is only Wifi but no 3G/4G signal?

Mobile data is set to "On"
Wifi is good strength
Global data roaming on
Network mode = Global
Ethernet is greyed out and disabled
Running ICS

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Maybe a better question is "Is there a way to send any type of text message when there is only Wifi but no 3G/4G signal?

Not from your Verizon number.

You can use third-party apps such as Google Voice to send text messages, but those will be sent from your Google Voice number and not from your Verizon number. joshxdroid also mentioned another app in his post that does the same thing. You can also download other third-party apps that are essentially an instant messenger - they work solely over a data connection. Some register via your Verizon number, but actual messages are not sent as texts - they're sent as instant messages from the app.

Nothing is set up incorrectly on your phone. Any service you get from Verizon requires a connection to Verizon's network. Phone calls and text messages require a connection to Verizon's cellular data network. If there's no connection to Verizon's cellular network, you won't get any of Verizon's services.

Last edited: