Cannot Re-root after Applying OTA - Ideas?

JeffDenver

Reaction score
My phone otherwise works normally. I was rooted before, applied the OTA, and now cannot get re-rooted. Super One-Click (what I used before) is not working.

I followed the directions here...which is what I did last time. Everything looks the same. It even reboots the phone and tells me it succeeded. But I still do not have root access.

Hs anyone successfully re-rooted? (I dont mean via Voodoo OTA app...I mean the "normal" way)

OP
JeffDenver

JeffDenver

Reaction score
According to XDA, "oneclickroot" no longer works after the update.

But you can still root. In this thread they give a process to re-root. It does work, but it is a bit convoluted...I am still trying to decide if I want root this bad, heh heh...

[CONFIRMED] Root after OTA - xda-developers

mschoaf48

Reaction score
Just thought I'd share my experience. Should have checked the forums, but I didn't. I was unlocked and rooted using the original process. I used Titanium to freeze a bunch of the unwanted junk. Today, I allowed the OTA udpate to happen and lost root also. Phone remained unlocked, though. Following the link posted by the OP, it narrowed down what I had to do to a few simple steps.

Assuming you already have Android SDK, HTC drivers, etc. all installed from your original rooting, do the following:
1. Download the Amon Ra recovery image. You can find it under xda-developers - View Single Post - [Recovery] Amon Ra style vigor
2. Power off your Rezound
3. Pull battery and re-insert
4. Launch boot menu by holding volume down button and power at the same time
5. Put it in fastboot mode
6. Issue the "fastboot flash recovery <recovery image file from step 1>"
7. Power off, pull battery and re-insert, launch boot menu again
8. Put it in recovery mode. This should be Amon Ra recovery now.
9. Select Developer menu -> Install su and superuser
10. Normal reboot
11. Go to market and download Superuser app

Voila...good to go now.

I know this seems like a lot, but if you already had everything installed from rooting before, it should only take about 10 minutes. There might be an easier way to launch the new recovery other than another battery pull, but that's what I did and it worked for me.

Hope this helps some others.

Matt

OP
JeffDenver

JeffDenver

Reaction score
The funny thing is, I still have the Superuser app installed. In fact, I dont see an option to UN-install it.

Also had partial root access with Root Explorer...I could view the system folder and even copy stuff from it (though I had no write access). It was weird.

I think I will try that process tonight.

mschoaf48

Reaction score
Exactly the same as me. And I figured once I ran through the recovery step I wouldn't have to re-download superuser since it was already there. But once I got to step 11, I didn't have superuser installed anymore and did a simple market download.

Best of luck.