Cannot install non-Market apps

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by Thazz, Feb 21, 2011.

1. Thazz

Thazz New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    (This is my first post in this forum--if this post fits better in one of the other sections, let me know)

I recently got an HTC Inspire 4G from AT&T. Great phone. Then I discovered that I cannot use Skype to make voice calls unless I am on wireless. This perturbs me because another friend of mine with a Motorola Android can do so just fine on Verizon.

So I discovered a version of Skype I could download that would allow me to make voice calls over 4G. Then I tried to learn how to manually install an app from an APK file.

Of course, the phone doesn't allow me at first to install non-market apps. Every web page I googled shows the same screenshot: go to settings > applications and check the "unknown sources" box.

But it wasn't on my phone.

A quick call to HTC tech support revealed that AT&T specifically requested this to be disabled so that users CANNOT set it to allow non-market apps. For our own protection, of course... riiight.

I tried using Android Injector to install the app from the desktop (after installing USB drivers and enabling USB debugging mode). It kept failing, with an error that there is insufficient disk space... which seems unlikely, since the SD card is mostly empty and I have 0.93 GB of internal storage space remaining.

I tried Droid Explorer, but that failed to completely install--that's what I get for trying beta software, I guess.

So is there a way around this? How can I make Skype calls over 4g? How can I make the phone allow me to install non-market apps? Is this a case where "rooting" would help?

2. sheisme33

sheisme33 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Call att ask to speak with tech support tell them you need to talk them about an update you didn't get yet. they'll ask for your ime number number and send you the update to download from unknownsources immediately. They told me it hasn't been sent to some areas yet.. hope this helps..

Last edited: Jun 23, 2011
  3. sheisme33

sheisme33 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    allow unknown sources htc inspire

I did this 2 days ago now I can upload and install anything that I want..

Last edited: Jun 23, 2011
Search tags for this page
how to allow installation of non-market applications on htc

how to allow non market apps on htc inspire

how to install apps on htc inspire 4g
how to install non market apps on htc inspire

htc inspire allow non market apps

htc inspire download from unknown sources
inspire 4g allow non market apps
non market apps htc inspire
on a htc inspire how todownload unknown app
unknown sources application disappeared after software updat