Cannot hear the Droid X ring/alert-everyone needs to call Verizon & Motorola

latexyankee

Reaction score
It's stupid low. Update never fixed a thing with mine, or most people. Now I never had a moto droid and I'm not an engineer, but someone please tell me why the speaker is on the back of the unit? This wouldn't matter with the device being in ones pocket, but the reason no one can hear it when it's sitting right on the coffee table is because the sound comes out of a speaker pointing away from you. Stupid stupid stupid. I hate it, drives me effin crazy.

Humpa

Reaction score
It's stupid low. Update never fixed a thing with mine, or most people. Now I never had a moto droid and I'm not an engineer, but someone please tell me why the speaker is on the back of the unit? This wouldn't matter with the device being in ones pocket, but the reason no one can hear it when it's sitting right on the coffee table is because the sound comes out of a speaker pointing away from you. Stupid stupid stupid. I hate it, drives me effin crazy.
I don't use speakerphone, so I don't care.
But when your on the phone, if you turn it over and place it on the table it has a handy feature that automatically puts it in speakerphone mode. I guess the thinking is that to use speakerphone with a speaker on the back, you lay it face down.

Droidxer10

Reaction score
please consolidate volume/speaker problem reports into other threads

There are already several main forum threads for reporting and documenting experiences with the Droid X low volume/speaker problem. Here are two of them:

1) http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-x-general-discussions/59913-droid-x-speaker-volume.html

2) Volume issue on new Droid X - Verizon Wireless Community

Also, here are two informative posts about the matter:
3) http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...me-speaker-problem-post669676.html#post669676

4) http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...ed-low-volume-speaker-problem.html#post654789

One of the links at (4) above it out of date. So please use and follow the links at (1) and (2) above. Also, please pay special attention to the information in reply (3) above

Last edited:

polwar

Reaction score
I've yet to receive my X (ship date of 8-3) but I know that with other phones that I've had with volume issues. Have you ever seen that movie crank? You know his annoying yet catchy ringtone? I've sent it to my phone from funformobile.com and it proved to be quite loud enough to wake me and I'm a really heavy sleeper.

EDIT: Well at least until they resolve the issue anyways.

gnad

Reaction score
First Droid buyer - Really Frustrated

This is a really really helpful, and thanks for posting it. The volume question is significant. Not only because I miss calls, but because the "email received" alert is so loud, it is totally unrealistic to say that there is a speaker issue. Seems more like a programming issue.

In fact the email received alerts are so loud they are driving me nuts. I lower the volume on them, but Ooops that means I can't hear the phone.

They don't seem to be in line with each other.

I have to tell you that it seems like the engineers are still running the show Jha. The intuitiveness and the ease of use just ain't there, at least that I have found so far.

There are already several main forum threads for reporting and documenting experiences with the Droid X low volume/speaker problem. Here are two of them:

1) http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-x-general-discussions/59913-droid-x-speaker-volume.html

2) Volume issue on new Droid X - Verizon Wireless Community

Also, here are two informative posts about the matter:
3) http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...me-speaker-problem-post669676.html#post669676

4) http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...ed-low-volume-speaker-problem.html#post654789

One of the links at (4) above it out of date. So please use and follow the links at (1) and (2) above. Also, please pay special attention to the information in reply (3) above

TruckerdOut

Reaction score
I had the same problem with my DX. My ringer was set to gradually increase. I turned that silly app off and the ringer and alarm work fine

Droidxer10

Reaction score
Droid X volume speaker problem persists, still no word from Verizon

The Droid X low volume speaker problem persists. Will Verizon ever do the right thing, and comment on the problem and/or acknowledge it while producing, or trying to produce, a fix (perhaps one that increases the volume potential of all Droid X units by coding the phone to send more power to the speakers when the volume is set to high)? The main way to get Verizon and Motorola to fix the problem is to call Verizon and Motorola to document the problem, to try their suggestions, and to report to them whether your low volume/bad speaker problem persists on your Droid X. I give detailed but simple instructions on how to do this in link (5) below, but also see the important info in link (4) below.

But first, begin by checking out this poll on the Droid X low volume/speaker problem:

Poll for Droid X users on whether they have the volume problem:
1) Thursday Poll: Experiencing Volume Issues With Your DROID X? | Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

There are Android, Droid, and Verizon webpages/forums reporting this problem all over the internet (including several on this forum). Here are two of the main threads on the problem:

2) Droid X bad speaker volume
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-x-general-discussions/59913-droid-x-speaker-volume.html

3) Verizon community forum on the Droid X bad speaker volume
Volume issue on new Droid X - Verizon Wireless Community

4) Here is one especially informative reply/post on the matter:
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-x-tech-issues/61895-special-post-how-make-progress-alleged-low-volume-speaker-problem.html#post669676

5) Here are detailed but simple instructions about what people need to do in order to get Verizon and Motorola to fix ths problem (note that the first two links in the post below are not up to date and are superceded by the two links at (2) and (3) above:

Special Post on How to Make Progress with the Alleged Low Volume Speaker Problem
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-x-general-discussions/61894-special-post-how-make-progress-alleged-low-volume-speaker-problem.html

Last edited:
Reaction score
I agree that the Droid X is not loud enough. I have missed several calls when the phone is in my purse. I am also having trouble hearing and receiving calendar alerts. My Palm would continue to alert me of an appt at least 3 times. The Droid X only gives one alert, if at all, and if you happen to be away from your phone you miss it. Again, the volume level of the alert is not significant to get your attention.

Why would you be away from your X. You are the problem LOL nah i agree the phone is not as loud as the droid. Most times it is not an issue but at some point it will come up i am sure.
thanks
Steve

Jenngirl

Reaction score
I have to agree that the Droid X volume is definitely an issue. My ring tones are barely loud enough to hear when I'm a few feet away, let alone in another room. My alarm is useless as it is so low it doesnt wake me up in the morning. There are definitely issues and I can only hope something gets done to fix it as I love this new phone.

padawan0620

Reaction score
Thank you Truckerdout, turning off the gradually increase volume option worked. I couldn't hear the alarm before now it comes through nice and loud!

Humpa

Reaction score
Thank you Truckerdout, turning off the gradually increase volume option worked. I couldn't hear the alarm before now it comes through nice and loud!
Changing the alarm settings fixed your ringer issue? Is that what you and TruckerdOut are saying?

padawan0620

Reaction score
I can only speak for myself, but that is what worked on my DX. I then turned the increase volume back on again to see what would happen and I almost couldn't hear the alarm. Turned it off again and the alarm is nice and loud.

Humpa

Reaction score
I can only speak for myself, but that is what worked on my DX.
The phone ringer volume was affected by the alarm setting?
Is this anytime the phone rang, or only if the phone rang while in dock mode or something?

Because there are a lot of people with low ringtone problems - and I don't think anyone would think to change an alarm setting. So I want to spread this info.

padawan0620

Reaction score
I'm only referring to the alarm. I haven't done anything with the phone ringing.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Now contact Verizon and Motorola so we can keep our X's.

Wasn't planning on giving mine up....
It's a minor annoyance to me.