Cannot hear the Droid X ring/alert-everyone needs to call Verizon & Motorola

Mrhh56

Reaction score
I had the Motorola Droid, with the slide out keyboard, and could hear every call coming in and every text/email alert. Now I have the Droid X and cannot hear it unless it is very quiet. I just got a leather case for my belt so I am certain I will never hear the phone ring if the phone is in the case. Even with the phone face down on the console of my car with the stereo on at low volumes I cannot hear the phone ring. One lady posted she cannot hear the phone if its in her purse....good point and proof the volume is not high enough.

I spent over an hour on the phone with Verizon. I urge everyone to contact Verizon on a phone other than the Droid X so they can walk you through the usual steps that will not correct the problem.

Luckily, the Verizon representative I worked with contacted Motorola with me on the line. After their usual steps the Motorola representative obtained the Motorola Droid and the Droid X and compared the volume and everyone agreed there is a difference.

Now contact Verizon and Motorola so we can keep our X's. If this cannot be fixed I will be forced to get another phone.

FireDroid

Reaction score
It is lower but the D1 had a crazy loud speaker! I miss it also but that is what you get for making a slimmer lighter design, something had to give.

As much as it sucks I just used ringtones and notification tones with the high pitch tones VS the low DROIIDDD tone.

squire2001

Reaction score
Soo Quiet

I agree! I never missed anything with my Droid1. I have a the tv on and my phones 5 feet away from me with the volume on max... I cant even hear it sometimes. I hope Verizon puts out some tweek for this :blink:

denlem

Reaction score
It is lower but the D1 had a crazy loud speaker! I miss it also but that is what you get for making a slimmer lighter design, something had to give.

As much as it sucks I just used ringtones and notification tones with the high pitch tones VS the low DROIIDDD tone.

Using a louder modified ringtone may help, but that doesn't help Pandora, Slacker, You Tube or other videos.

Also, it's a slimmer and lighter design, but it also doesn't have to house a keyboard and related hardware so size is no excuse.

jaydog88

Reaction score
Mine is also not very loud when it comes to ringtones or music etc....
One thing I did noticed though, I used it alot today and the low battery beep went off. It was really loud like my first droid phone.
I think there is something that needs to be changed in a update to make it louder....

sin vicious

Reaction score
I had the Motorola Droid, with the slide out keyboard, and could hear every call coming in and every text/email alert. Now I have the Droid X and cannot hear it unless it is very quiet. I just got a leather case for my belt so I am certain I will never hear the phone ring if the phone is in the case. Even with the phone face down on the console of my car with the stereo on at low volumes I cannot hear the phone ring. One lady posted she cannot hear the phone if its in her purse....good point and proof the volume is not high enough.

I spent over an hour on the phone with Verizon. I urge everyone to contact Verizon on a phone other than the Droid X so they can walk you through the usual steps that will not correct the problem.

Luckily, the Verizon representative I worked with contacted Motorola with me on the line. After their usual steps the Motorola representative obtained the Motorola Droid and the Droid X and compared the volume and everyone agreed there is a difference.

Now contact Verizon and Motorola so we can keep our X's. If this cannot be fixed I will be forced to get another phone.

Wow some if you people eaither have a defect X or hearing problems. Yes its not a boom box, but this product was never created to be one.. if you want loudness for pandora put some head phones on. The droidx is plenty loud.. i hear it ring with normal ringtones and hear fine on speaker phone.

dukelx2005

Reaction score
No we dont have a hearing problem,

there is something def wrong with the DROID X when it comes to Ringtones and Alerts even Alarm. Its very low pitch I always miss calls now

bishop7262

Reaction score
have to agree that the volume is extremely low at the highest setting. This is an awesome phone but I am missing calls and my alarm does not wake me up because it is so low. I do not think that everyone is exaggerating...this needs to be fixed by an update. I am extremely surprised that there has not been more news about this on any websites.

dukelx2005

Reaction score
Right well i hope its corrected soon cause i love the phone and its the best droid i owned and ive had all of them lol

Humpa

Reaction score
I have the Droid and the Incredible too. I don't notice any difference in volume without comparing them. I still hear my ringers and alarms (though most people just use vibrate now so as not to disturb the rest of the world, don't they?) - I use a Droid alarm every morning since November. When I switched to the X I didn't notice any difference in volume.

I'm not saying there is not something wrong, I'm just saying I'd never have noticed a thing.

One thing I would have noticed is the volume of the line out (headphone jack) - that is identical to the Droid. I use the Droid and the X as an mp3 player, and they are the same volume when I "A and B" them to test their sound thru my stereo system. That's about all I care about though - as long as the speaker is loud enough for normal use.

cp1224

Reaction score
I will switch phones with anyone who thinks it's just that I have a hearing problem.

bje1982

Reaction score
I will switch phones with anyone who thinks it's just that I have a hearing problem.

Ill trade you a already rooted droid or a stock one right now for your defective x pm me

sh5345

Reaction score
I agree that the Droid X is not loud enough. I have missed several calls when the phone is in my purse. I am also having trouble hearing and receiving calendar alerts. My Palm would continue to alert me of an appt at least 3 times. The Droid X only gives one alert, if at all, and if you happen to be away from your phone you miss it. Again, the volume level of the alert is not significant to get your attention.

GThree

Reaction score
I had the same issue until I updated my phone with the new Droid X update. It's not the Froyo update, so don't get it twisted. Make sure you're running the newer and current system version. It corrected my low sound quality.