1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Cannot find a cool enough kernel, hot phone (rooted stock 2.1)

Discussion in 'Bugless' started by Womp, May 6, 2010.

1. Womp

Womp New Member

Installed Pete's rooted 2.1 stock. I love the snappiness and simplicity - official OTA with root - However no matter what kernel I have thrown onto the phone it seems to be very warm to hot. It has been averaging anywhere between mid 90sF to 115-120F. Even idle right now in airplane mode on my office desk Temp Monitor is showing 102F with the p3 600mhz LV Kernel.

What the crap?

I don't necessarily need overclock (Even then 800mhz is fine with me), but I want the WiFi tethering option available whenever I am in a clinch.

I've tried a varied assortment of LV kernels from 600-800mhz and my phone just seems to run damned hot. I've only started checking the temps when I installed Cyanogen to try the other week and found it was very warm. Up until then I was using AdamZ Smoked Glass with the default kernel and for all I know it may have been this warm all this time, but with warmer weather coming in I'm getting a bit paranoid

So if any of you experts out in the field can recommend me some ideas I'm all for them. And yes, I wipe data/cache profusely. It doesn't help. :/

Thanks guys.
  2. Diordna

Diordna New Member

Have you tried seeing the temperature without a kernel? To see if it for sure is a kernel?
    Or maybe try the nextheme or SG instead? It's just fine for me running nextheme with 1.1 GHZ.
  3. jntdroid

jntdroid Super Moderator Premium Member

i haven't done it with pete's stock root, but with the "pure" adb stock root, i've used p3's 1ghz and 1.1 ghz and it's been fine - though personal usage also plays a part obviously

do you have anything running in the background, even while "sleeping" that could be pushing the ondemand processor speed up all the time?
  4. JhankG

JhankG New Member

Try a MV kernel.
  5. powerwagon

powerwagon New Member

I would agree with the above post...you may want to start looking at apps running in the background. Sounds to me like you definitely have something that is drawing on the CPU for extended periods of time. I would back up your apps, then delete all of them and add them back one at a time, carefully monitoring the temps. You should then be able to find out what is running up your cpu temp.

good luck!
  6. Womp

Womp New Member

Nothing that I can see, just the usual suspects that keep the phone going. I like to think I run a pretty lean ship. I'm already pretty OCD about this stuff although I am not in a task killer every two seconds either.

When I installed the Verizon 2.1 stock initially the battery temp hovered in the mid-high 70F's...Now with a kernel installed it's almost 90F just idling.

I considered this last night as well. Can you recommend me one? I've always run LV and haven't had much luck finding any low range 600-800 MV ones.

Thanks...I'm actually getting tired of messing with the phone and at this point it is cutting into my sleep. :p I just want to stick with something that is stable, snappy and won't explode in my pocket. I don't need it to run 1.21 gigawatts either. hehe.
  7. powerwagon

powerwagon New Member

Do you have a task manager running? If so, delete it and install auto memory manager from the Market...use the pre-determined "aggressive" setting and see if that helps. That may keep whatever app is running up your battery temps from running. There is a donate version and free version...I would get the free version to start out with, then go donate if you like it.
  8. Diordna

Diordna New Member

I also have the usual running, and I use ATK when I feel like I opened to much different things. I even have SetCPU as a widget installed and I don't think it does to much harm, even though a lot of people are saying I don't need it so I'm thinking of ridding that? lol
  9. Womp

Womp New Member

I have Task Panel lite which I honestly only use at reboots to kill auto starting apps like Slacker, or if an app such as the browser gives a random wacky moment otherwise when I am done I manually exit it.

I honestly don't see anything in particular running that could be the culprit...

Actually, as I look now...I'm idle at 71F after trashing that BBC News app (It was a recent install and it looked a bit 'off')

Could that have been it? dancedroid
  10. JhankG

JhankG New Member

Who's kernel are you using right now? I idle at around 20 Celsius (68 Fahrenheit) running a LV kernel at 1.2ghz. Even though the temperatures you mentioned are by no means hot or dangerous, they still shoudn't be that high when idling.
  11. Diordna

Diordna New Member

lol my phone is at 59 F / 15 C!

It's idle but I actually think I need to play with it just to heat it up 0.0
  12. Diordna

Diordna New Member

But when I screw around with it, installing some apps and stuff for like 8 minutes it goes to 102 F lol
  13. jntdroid

jntdroid Super Moderator Premium Member

some people are reporting the latest setcpu update is causing their systems to run noticeably hotter than prior to the update, and the dev is looking into it and basically said not to use the active widget if not needed as it checks things much more frequently and therefore puts more of a load on the system

plus i think pete says not to use setcpu with 1.0... i think ?
  14. Diordna

Diordna New Member

Yeah Pete doesn't recommend it lol
    But thanks for the info, I'll get rid of the widget then (or just uninstall all together?)
  15. Womp

Womp New Member

Using P3's 600mhz LV kernel.

I'm not using SetCPU right now...I'd prefer not to anyway, although I have it. I'm not much for overclocking anyway.

Still idling around the 77F-82F mark...Honestly, I have nothing outside the main Droid apps running. I've been using Temp Monitor to check the temperature.

I don't get it....

Yesterday while running the 800mhz one my phone was in the 120F range just using the GPS Navigation.
  16. Womp

Womp New Member

Installed Beast 1.0 restored my phone...In the process of installing the apps the temps were as high as 141F with the stock kernel included with the update.zip I'm at work in an air conditioned environment.

So anyway...It's gone now and I've just reinstalled rooted stock 2.1

Nothing on it except ASTRO and Temp Monitor in the way of apps.

I'm going to try installing a LV 600mhz kernel but if anyone has any suggested MV ones I could try, it'd be appreciated.
  17. peterjariel

peterjariel New Member

I just installed BBv1.0 just to be right, to install a kernal u just do it the same way as the rom (update.zip in sprecovery) right or am I wrong
  18. powerwagon

powerwagon New Member

Very interesting...I suspected that the active widget was causing problems. I know it slowed my phone down considerably. Went back to standard widget and all is absolutely fine now.
  19. FSRBIKER

FSRBIKER New Member

Are you guys wiping then wiping and then wiping again before the install? Without wiping everything multiple times it is very hard to tell if you don't have something left over from a previous install causing a conflict.
  20. adrynalyne

adrynalyne Premium Member Premium Member Developer

Unless your ambient temperature is lower than that, thats an impossible temperature to be at. Sounds like the sensor readings aren't as accurate as we would like them to be.