Cannot connect to Wi-Fi at home

mca19580

Reaction score
Verizon says they can't help....Geek Squad says its Verizons fault...
I'm using all of my data...help:mad:

doniago

Reaction score
What device are you using to try to connect to wi-fi, and what kind of wi-fi router do you have? What exactly happens when you try to connect? Can you provide screenshots? The more info you can provide the better.

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
Welcome aboard!

Some phones cannot connect to older routers - look at your phone spec's vs the output of your router (wifi G, N, etc)...

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
Welcome aboard

Were they not able to connect to WiFi at Best Buy? Have you tried another public hotspot?

OP
M

mca19580

Reaction score
What device are you using to try to connect to wi-fi, and what kind of wi-fi router do you have? What exactly happens when you try to connect? Can you provide screenshots? The more info you can provide the better.

I have a Droid. Spent 2 hours on the phone with Verizon Wireless....a waste of my time. Went to Best Buy...Geek Squad was equally useless. Stuck unable to connect to my own home wi-fi, causing me to have to use data to go online, which is ridiculous. I pay for two phones an now am afraid to use the phone for anything more than e-mail or texts for fear of going over my data limit. Under normal circumstances, both of us together come nowhere near our 2 gig limit.
The phone keeps saying 'connecting' but is not. This didn't start until I took the updates on my phone.

rustydog

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 9
You didn't answer the question on being able to connect to another router (Best Buy). Does either phone connect to your router? Is your router secured? Does anything connect to your router via wiFi? Your phone may be connected to your router but the router may not be connected to your internet. Connected only means your phone is talking with your router. Complaining here will not resolve your problem.

Last edited:
OP
M

mca19580

Reaction score
You didn't answer the question on being able to connect to another router (Best Buy). Does either phone connect to your router? Is your router secured? Does anything connect to your router via wiFi? Your phone may be connected to your router but the router may not be connected to your internet. Connected only means your phone is talking with your router. Complaining here will not resolve your problem.
I was able to connect fine on Best Buy's wi-fi, but when I get home the 3G and 4G on my phone are blue (not white) which they tell me is using data. I have a Verizon GT704WG wireless router. My laptops and Kindle are fine.
Spent hours with Verizon reconfiguring my internet but the phones still won't connect. I'm not tech savvy like all of you. However, Verizon Wireless and the Geek Squad are supposed to be but neither of them can figure it out.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Try an app called Wi-Fi Fixer. It's free and might solve the issue. If you need help with it post back and someone will walk you through it.
If that doesn't work,I'm going to ask you some questions you might have already gone through because you're not being very descriptive in what you've already tried.
1) Have you done "forget network" of your home router? If not do that then put it back like when the phone was new. To do that go to phone settings, Wi-Fi , tap the Wi-Fi icon, long press the network at your home, tap forget. Tap home button. Go back to settings, tap Wi-Fi icon, tap add network, if it doesn't show back up on its own, or tap the your home network, tap input your "network key" (aka password).
2) Have you double checked to make sure you put your password into your network exactly correctly? The phone will not give a warning that it's the wrong password, it'll only just not connect.
3) Have you already changed the security on your router while working with anyone at tech support. If so do you know what you changed it to?
4) Have you tried any other secure network, such as at a friends house or work? Best Buy is an open, unsecured network, so basically anything will connect without any effort other than tapping CONNECT.
There are some routers out there, Verizon uses Belkin brand often, that just don't play nice with Android BUT since your Fire is already working fine I am not convinced it's an incompatibility issue yet.
Before you do any of the above steps beyond installing Wi-Fi fixer turn off your mobile network. Settings, mobile network, tap the icon.

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
Notetoo

Last edited:
S

SFGate

Welcome to the site. Hope you were able to resolve this. DancingNexus

OP
M

mca19580

Reaction score
Try an app called Wi-Fi Fixer. It's free and might solve the issue. If you need help with it post back and someone will walk you through it.
If that doesn't work,I'm going to ask you some questions you might have already gone through because you're not being very descriptive in what you've already tried.
1) Have you done "forget network" of your home router? If not do that then put it back like when the phone was new. To do that go to phone settings, Wi-Fi , tap the Wi-Fi icon, long press the network at your home, tap forget. Tap home button. Go back to settings, tap Wi-Fi icon, tap add network, if it doesn't show back up on its own, or tap the your home network, tap input your "network key" (aka password).
2) Have you double checked to make sure you put your password into your network exactly correctly? The phone will not give a warning that it's the wrong password, it'll only just not connect.
3) Have you already changed the security on your router while working with anyone at tech support. If so do you know what you changed it to?
4) Have you tried any other secure network, such as at a friends house or work? Best Buy is an open, unsecured network, so basically anything will connect without any effort other than tapping CONNECT.
There are some routers out there, Verizon uses Belkin brand often, that just don't play nice with Android BUT since your Fire is already working fine I am not convinced it's an incompatibility issue yet.
Before you do any of the above steps beyond installing Wi-Fi fixer turn off your mobile network. Settings, mobile network, tap the icon.

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
Notetoo
Unfortunately, I'm not tech savvy like most people on here, so forgive me if I don't immediately pick up what you're telling me.
1) I have tried forget network many times. No luck. I re-enter the password and it still won't connect.
2) The password is correct. I checked the box so I can see exactly what I'm entering to make sure that it's correct.
3) I don't think that we changed the security on the router but do still see an old Linksys router showing up on the home network on one of our computers. When Verizon reconfigured my internet, they probably should've asked me to turn all of my devices on. I don't know of this could be our problem.
4) When you ask if I've tried any other secure network, do you mean actually entering their WEP key or access code on my phone? I only have one other access code (at work) and I've only used it to get online with my Kindle.
Maybe this is the issue and reason that Wi-Fi fixer cannot fix. I think the Verizon tech support people may have messed me up.

Mark

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
You last post brings up a question. Are you in fact using WEP. That could be a problem. Do you have enough control over the router to change it to WPA/WPA2 - TKIP?

OP
M

mca19580

Reaction score
You last post brings up a question. Are you in fact using WEP. That could be a problem. Do you have enough control over the router to change it to WPA/WPA2 - TKIP?
I wouldn't know how to do that. I currently have WEP, which I understand is not as strong as WPA or WPA2.

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
You're correct, WEP is weak and doesn't work well with some devices. You may want to do a search using your router model and the words wireless security so that you can access the router directly. It may be at 192.168.1.1 or something close. Use a browser to access it but the password may be admin or that could be both the PW and name or something else if it's still relatively stock.