cannot check in 4SQ without gps

raiteens

Reaction score
Hi folks,
I have get my new Samsung galaxy S5 and already have a problem.
I cannot check in Foursquare using WIFI only. Its asking me to switch on gps. I dont get it why because on my old Samsung galaxy s2 I could check in with wifi only. Of course its no so hard to switch onmy gps location but I think with Wifi should be enough. This is really annoing.

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum

I don't use 4SQ but if it is for location of your device in the case of it being stolen the only accurate way to do that is by way of GPS.

OP
R

raiteens

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum

I don't use 4SQ but if it is for location of your device in the case of it being stolen the only accurate way to do that is by way of GPS.

hi. thanks. Its good idea and maybe it could be so. The question is if I can turn off this feature to check in 4SQ without turning gps on.

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
This is just a guess but if what I said above is true then no, it would need to be on. I leave mine on all the time and it came in handy when I thought I lost my phone about a week ago but the GPS said it was in the house. Less worried and I found it. There are a few apps that do require GPS in order to function correctly.

OP
R

raiteens

Reaction score
This is just a guess but if what I said above is true then no, it would need to be on. I leave mine on all the time and it came in handy when I thought I lost my phone about a week ago but the GPS said it was in the house. Less worried and I found it. There are a few apps that do require GPS in order to function correctly.

yes, its quit good if you can find but gps takes too much of battery energy so I better turn it off. Just very strange that in previous android versions I could check in 4SQ with wifi only. IT would be logical if I could choose the way of check in etc...anyway, seems that I cannot change it.

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
Again, I'm making a big assumption about what it's doing. It's not that it can get a location by WiFi or even by cell tower but it is potentially very inaccurate.