Cannot boot into recovery

Discussion in 'Bugless' started by lighthazard, Jul 6, 2010.

1. lighthazard

lighthazard New Member

Using BB 0.2.1 FROYO on a Motorola Droid - all is well and there are absolutely no problems, but I'm going to need to drop by Verizon today to get a new one (physical power button's spring is messed up, so I cannot easily turn it on and off) so I want to format everything. Problem is that I cannot seem to boot into recovery mode.

I used the switchboot to speed up boot time, when I couldn't get back into recovery mode, I ran the switchboot script again to restore the original animation and still no fix.

Any ideas on what's going on?

I am not above restoring using SPRecovery, but it'd be nice to be able to do this without SPRecovery. Thanks!

Also forgot the mention:
    I tried to reboot it using ROMManager and even the terminal to boot into recovery, but it just boots twice. What happens is that it sticks to the Motorola logo for a while, blinks, restarts, and then goes into normal boot operation showing the logo, and then the DROID into the system.
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2010
  2. gatewayad

gatewayad New Member

Is there a reason you dont want to use SPRcovery, that is the easiest way to get it back to stock. Just make sure you reboot it back up and make sure any "rooted" remnants are gone then go into settings>privacy and do a factory data reset then take it back to the store
  3. lighthazard

lighthazard New Member

I apologize if I used the wrong phrase, I am willing to use SPRecovery to get back to the stock image, but I'd like to make a backup of the current rom I have now, it's like the perfect build for me. I'd hate to have to lose it.

I just realized I used the wrong program, when I said SPRecovery, I meant the SBF image, not the application.
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2010
  4. gszeman

gszeman New Member

Open ROM manager...flash clockwork recovery. Flash clockwork recovery again. That will fix your issue.

Search is your friend...there are about 18000 posts about this already.
  5. lighthazard

lighthazard New Member

Thanks for your help gszeman, but I already tried this, twice.
  6. wricks

wricks Premium Member Premium Member

Try sliding the keyboard open and do ROM Manager again. Hold down the x key before it reboots the second time. Should take you to recovery. Had to do this a number of times for kernel caused boot loops.
  7. DroidFan88

DroidFan88 New Member

In ROM manager, do a backup of the rom you are using at that point so you can restore, if need be. Once you do that, in rom manager, flash spr recovery and then shut down your phone. While re-booting, hold the X key and the power key until the recovery screen comes up then you can do your thing.
    I've had issues many times in the past with the same situation you are talking about. For some reason, clockworkmod, at times, won't go into recovery when your doing the X and power thing. When that happens, I do what I told you and it's always worked.
  8. lighthazard

lighthazard New Member

How can you backup if you cannot get into recovery mode? wricks, I tried your solution, but it did not help. I'll keep trying.
  9. BayouFlyFisher

BayouFlyFisher Rescue Squad Rescue Squad

10. BeGood

BeGood New Member

Hope this may help. I had to unplug and remove battery, here fun part, hold power button and x button and put battery back in, that worked for me. That is my short story.
  11. Eitel

Eitel New Member

Open ROM Manager, scroll down to the Alternate Recovery section and flash SPRecovery. When it's done, scroll up and flash Clockwork Recovery again.

Flashing Clockwork twice doesn't solve the problem. Flashing an alternate recovery and then clockwork again does.
  12. lighthazard

lighthazard New Member

BayouFlyFisher: It still fails to reboot correctly.

BeGood: That didn't help, unfortunately.

I just used the SBF image and reimaged with RDLite. Thanks for all your help guys.
  13. Uberg33k

Uberg33k New Member

I just wanted to say that I had this problem too and I tried all the steps listed here to no avail (reapplying CMR, installing SPRecovery from terminal). Nothing worked. I did manage to eventually fix it. Perhaps this might be of some help to people in the future.

1. You need to start at a freshly rooted 2.0.1 or 2.1. No ROMs or anything. If you're already at the point of hanging on the M at bootup and you've seemingly lost root on all your apps, you'll have to RDL back to this point.

2. As soon as you're there, get ROM Manger open and go down to Utilities and run through the Fix Permissions script. If you see a lot of text with chmod's being issued, you're good to go. If not, you may have to re-RDL your phone. Just to be certain everything is good, I went ahead and went to Download ROM -> Bugless Beast -> Fix Permissions. Download it, your phone will reboot, and it'll run at boot up.

3. Open ROM Manager again. Scroll all the way to the bottom under All ClockworkMod Recoveries. Select 2.0.2.0. Whatever is in this release seems to fix the problem I was seeing. This issue seemed to stem from CM forgetting it had root (?) and therefore couldn't boot itself into recovery. Note I'm not saying that's definitive, just what it appeared to me to be doing.

4. Now install any ROM or kernel you want. You shouldn't have any issues with permissions being lost or hanging at the M on bootup anymore.

This was several hours worth of troubleshooting yesterday. I know that means a wipe of the phone, but all can be easily restored with a Ti Backup or AppBrain. If someone else runs into this issue and can find an easier fix, please post that up, but this will get you where you need to go.
Search tags for this page

droid x cannot boot into recovery

droid x cannot boot to recovery

htc one can not get into boot

note 2 cannot boot into recovery