Cancel agreement to "Use enhanced location service"

DanielFFF

Reaction score
I don't want to "Agree" to Google's "Use enhanced location service", but yesterday (after turning on 'Location') I accidentally clicked Agree, and now I want to undo that. How do reverse my agreement?
(Galaxy S4; Kitkat 4.4.2)
Daniel

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Pull down your status bar, tap the icon at the top, tap the gear, go to location, tap where it says mode High Accuracy and choose another.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
D

DanielFFF

Reaction score
Thanks FoxKat, but that only disables enhanced location till the next time I turn on Location.

And It's not so much that I don't want to use enhanced location services, it's that I don't want Google to use them to track my location. What I was disagreeing to is Google using my enhanced location, not the enhanced method per se.

I notice from searching the web that some phones have a 'Location Reporting' menu option that you can enable/disable, but my phone doesn't have that menu item; only 'Location History'. I've disabled that, but I don't know if it also disables Location Reporting.

Daniel

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Thanks FoxKat, but that only disables enhanced location till the next time I turn on Location.

And It's not so much that I don't want to use enhanced location services, it's that I don't want Google to use them to track my location. What I was disagreeing to is Google using my enhanced location, not the enhanced method per se.

I notice from searching the web that some phones have a 'Location Reporting' menu option that you can enable/disable, but my phone doesn't have that menu item; only 'Location History'. I've disabled that, but I don't know if it also disables Location Reporting.

Daniel
You can turn off location tracking in Google directly but it's a bit difficult to find.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Oops!

OP
D

DanielFFF

Reaction score
Thanks to everyone here who tried to help. With the help of a member on Stack Exchange, I found the answer (my S4 is rooted):
-----
If you have root access, edit this file:
data > data > com.google.android.gms > shared_prefs > nlp-prefs.xml

Change the value of confirmNlp in the following line to true.
<boolean name="confirmNlp" value="false" />

Reboot phone.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
That's great information. Thanks for sharing. It's very fortunate that you can edit that by being rooted. If not rooted the only other option is a Factory Data Restore and just make sure not to agree the next time out.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Once again, great info and that's what makes this forum great... People like you who share! Bravo!