Canalys: Android smartphone shipments up 886%, represents highest market share in US

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
6yjn69.jpg

2010, the year of the Android? You can certainly say so, after reviewing Canalys' latest smartphone market analysis. Compared to Q2 2009, shipments of Android handsets increased by almost 900%. That's 9x more shipped in this quarter than in the same quarter last year. How does this compare to the other smartphone platforms? The worldwide smartphone leader is still Nokia, who is the major provider of its "cheap" Symbian phones to China. Nokia saw 41% growth in smartphone shipments over the past year, shipping a record 23.8 million headsets in Q2. This represents over 77% of the total smartphones sold in Q2. However, Nokia is falling behind fast, as the worldwide smartphone shipments increased 64%. Apple saw a 61% increase, 41% for RIM, and as mentioned before, 886% for Android.

And what about total market share? Thanks to a 9-fold increase in smartphone shipments, in the United States, Android has jumped all other major platforms, with a 34% market share. RIM trails just behind with 32%, and Apple is at 21.7%. Now that Android has topped the market in the United States, and is growing exponentially worldwide, I don't see Android's presence slowing anytime soon. And as you can see with Nokia's strong worldwide presence (77% of total smartphones shipped), for Android to become as successful, more low-end Android phones need to hit the market. Although many of us scoff at these low-end devices, there is a huge need for these in China, as well as the developing world.

Canalys' take on the Android phenomenon:

‘The latest release of our detailed and complete country-level smart phone shipment data for Q2 2010 clearly reveals the impressive momentum Android is gaining in markets around the world,’ said Canalys VP and Principal Analyst, Chris Jones, commenting on the publication. ‘In the United States, for example, we have seen the largest carrier, Verizon Wireless, heavily promoting high-profile Android devices, such as the Droid by Motorola and the Droid Incredible by HTC. These products have been well received by the market, with consumers eager to download and engage with mobile applications and services, such as Internet browsing, social networking, games and navigation.’ The United States smart phone market grew 41% year on year. It is the largest smart phone market in the world by a significant margin, with 14.7 million units accounting for 23% of global shipments in Q2 2010. Android devices collectively represented a 34% share of the US market in the quarter, and with growth of 851% Android became the largest smart phone platform in the country.
Here's a market share comparison between China and the US:

1424fap.jpg

Via Phandroid
Source Canalys

Nibbz

Reaction score
think Steve Jobs wants to go back to his iPhone keynote and make some changes? Such as the part where iPhone was 2nd in the market share and Android was 4th. Damn android snuck up fast

Schoat333

Reaction score
This is good news for the Android community. Especially for support on app development.

Does anyone else get the feeling that Google is trying to take ove the world one market at a time?

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I confess I'm a little confused by what seem to be conflicting reports. Some talk about growth in sales (%, not number), others talk new users, still others talk installed base....

I thought I saw a report about 3 months ago where Android was maybe just a percent or two behind or ahead of Apple, and not it appears to have jumped to surpass RIM.

Basically from 22% or so market share to 34% in 3 months!!! - and I think most of RIM and IPhone shares are upgrades. I think Android is growing the market exponentially.

And just wait until VZW rolls out the LTE and the superphones come out later this year or Q1.

Reports of Android's demise have been greatly exaggerated (and you IPhone fanboys know who you are).

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Does anyone else get the feeling that Google is trying to take ove the world one market at a time?

I believe they intend to leverage Android to attack Mr. Softie on PC OS's. There are some interesting articles out there on the failure of Netscape and Linux and how MS defended its turf.

Google caught MS sleeping on the mobile platforms. It's all about creating synergy and integration for the end user. If android gains a huge share in mobile, a lot of users will be willing to trial ChromeOS or whatever they ultimately call the coming android/OS hybrid.

I honestly believe the only thing that can stop Google is the anti-trust laws.

zodder

Reaction score

I hear ya!

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint

I believe they intend to leverage Android to attack Mr. Softie on PC OS's. There are some interesting articles out there on the failure of Netscape and Linux and how MS defended its turf.

Google caught MS sleeping on the mobile platforms. It's all about creating synergy and integration for the end user. If android gains a huge share in mobile, a lot of users will be willing to trial ChromeOS or whatever they ultimately call the coming android/OS hybrid.

I honestly believe the only thing that can stop Google is the anti-trust laws.
You mean you want to stop Google? :rofl3:

Sweettooth

Reaction score
To take a short break from intellectual conversation, might I just point out the humor in current top dog Android holding onto the big, thick arrow in between its legs? That's one way to judge superiority! ;)