Can you use google voice and send MMS through verizon?

cortosis1982

Reaction score
I'm thinking of porting my number to google voice as it would save me a lot of money each month on texts. But I'd still like to send MMS which gvoice does not support. Can I use gvoice for everything else but still send/receive mms through verizon and just pay by the text?

TheJester34

Reaction score
If you mean not have a calling plan through Verizon I don't think so. Pretty sure you have to have a calling plan. If you wanted you could use GVoice and use it for your texting and drop that from your bill. Friend of mine does it on AT&T. Since it's data, it doesn't require a texting plan. That's assuming it's just you on your bill though

OP
C

cortosis1982

Reaction score
No that's not what I'm asking.

I currently have verizon and pay $20 bucks a month for texting. If I port my number to google voice I will still be using verizon for the calling plan but can text through google voice for free, without mms. If I do that can I still send and receive mms with the same phone number and just pay verizon per mms text? I figure a handful of pictures a month should still be way less.

DROOIID

Reaction score

I currently have verizon and pay $20 bucks a month for texting. If I port my number to google voice I will still be using verizon for the calling plan but can text through google voice for free, without mms. If I do that can I still send and receive mms with the same phone number and just pay verizon per mms text? I figure a handful of pictures a month should still be way less.

No. What I would do is get a gv number if you don't and tell people you changed your number to that. Then tell people who send you mms messages to send them to your old number.

Phranc

Reaction score

If I'm not mistaken, porting your number to another service will cancel your calling plan with VZ, and if you are under contract you will pay disconnect fees.

csimo

Reaction score
You could just use TextPlus for both SMS and MMS... it's free. You could then cancel your Verizon texting plan. TextPlus uses data, and they assign you a texting phone number.