can you return (warranty out) the bionic with leak installed on it?

Bionic_Racer

Reaction score
Will verizon accept a bionic back even though .238 is installed?

Ive been having major issues with the phone but im worried that verizon wont let me return once they find out theres a leak on it..

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
That's a tough question to answer. Sometimes people are faced with resistance and others aren't. I think it's simply purely luck which one you'll be. Isn't there a way to FB back to the OTA version? I don't own a Bionic so I don't know.

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
Isn't there a way to FB back to the OTA version? I don't own a Bionic so I don't know.

It depends on which leak you installed. If you have .232 and below, you can go back, but if you have .235 and above you can't (you can only go forward).

To the OP, what problems are you having?

jwilly216

Reaction score
FoxKat said:
That's a tough question to answer. Sometimes people are faced with resistance and others aren't. I think it's simply purely luck which one you'll be. Isn't there a way to FB back to the OTA version? I don't own a Bionic so I don't know.

I wouldn't say pure luck cause there's a small chance that the rep will actually care. so the odds are in your favor that they probably won't care. But of course there's always that one employee that got bullied in high school by someone who looks like you, so.... best wishes.

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
They won't, and they will notice it. ICS is not out on the Bionic, and ICS is drastically different from GB. You MAY have luck doing the transaction over the phone, but what will probably happen is once the phone goes to where ever it goes (it's going to go here regardless if you do it in store or over the phone). If they see you've rommed or leaked they will end up billing you in full for the replacement phone.

Again, you may luck out, but you're taking a huge risk either way. Any way around this would be considered fraud, and cannot be discussed on this forum.

The only thing I can think of is to wait for the OTA to come out, go to it, and then request replacement. Ultimately, your scenario is one of the reasons it was highly recommended to not go past 232. If you ran into problems with your phone you couldn't fxz back to 905, and get a replacement effortlessly.

Sorry bud, but it looks like you're just gonna have to wait this one out.

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
This more than turning in a phone that's been rooted, but stock. They might miss that. But a different OS, would be harder to miss.

It may depend on what the OP is planning to do. Calling CS, saying that they have a problem and want a replacement phone? Going into a Verizon Store with a complaint?

To the OP, what are the major issues? It seems recent as you've posted on other threads about how great the phone was with .238. Are they leak realated?

jwilly216

Reaction score
tjk629 said:
They won't, and they will notice it. ICS is not out on the Bionic, and ICS is drastically different from GB. You MAY have luck doing the transaction over the phone, but what will probably happen is once the phone goes to where ever it goes (it's going to go here regardless if you do it in store or over the phone). If they see you've rommed or leaked they will end up billing you in full for the replacement phone.

Again, you may luck out, but you're taking a huge risk either way. Any way around this would be considered fraud, and cannot be discussed on this forum.

The only thing I can think of is to wait for the OTA to come out, go to it, and then request replacement. Ultimately, your scenario is one of the reasons it was highly recommended to not go past 232. If you ran into problems with your phone you couldn't fxz back to 905, and get a replacement effortlessly.

Sorry bud, but it looks like you're just gonna have to wait this one out.

I have to disagree. I've taken in my phone for repairs when it was blatantly rooted with didn't colored notification bar and wildly different boot animation & the employee was actually stoked at how cool my phone was and when i mentioned that i didn't know if i should've returned it to stock before bringing it in, he and the other reps that were in awe witnessing the speed of my device, said they couldn't care less about the customizations and they gladly helped me out

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
This more than turning in a phone that's been rooted, but stock. They might miss that. But a different OS, would be harder to miss.

With verizon making moto add root checker to the ICS phones, I wouldn't put it past them to check for that stuff now. I know they've been training higher ups to look for certain root related things for a while now. Like I said in my post. Your phone ultimately goes to a warehouse or testing facility where they do check up on things. You may be able to get past the sales person at a store, or the CRs, but you won't get it past these folks. They are trained to make sure everything is kosher on the phone. They check for things like water damage and now things like roms and rooting.

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
I don't have ICS, but could a setting in Smart Actions have anything to do with it?

bbucks36

Reaction score
can you bump it to the .242?.. if not id try to get it stuck in a bootloop send it in to motorola :biggrin:

nateohio

Reaction score
If you haven't already done so, do a factory data reset.

9 out of 10 times that's going to fix issues like this...

whomhead

Reaction score
So you modified your phone, knowing full well it would void your warranty, and now that things aren't going well, you think you magically deserve Verizon to pick up the tab for a new phone (that you'll probably screw up as well)?

You made your bed, you lie in it. Figure out how to fix it or save up your allowance and buy a new one on ebay.

When you jump into this game, there are certain risks you assume, screwing up your phone being the #1 risk. This should be a cautionary tale. Don't hack your phone unless you are able to deal with the consequences. Especially do not go down a one-way street to nowhere (235, 238, 242, etc).

Sorry to be so harsh, but this really pisses me off.

SamuriHL

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
To all those getting bent out of shape, let me just start by saying that's how my bionic behaved.....right before the screen DIED. It's likely a hardware problem and nothing to do with what software is loaded on it. Given that it started yesterday, I give you about 8 weeks before the screen dies altogether. I, and quite a lot of others, have already been through this. Once the screen completely dies, it won't really matter what's on the phone, now will it? Hardware problems should be covered no matter what you put on your phone unless you caused the problem by overclocking.

welsalex

Reaction score
Well i was just going to call vzw and have them send me a replacement phone and let me ship this one to them. But i seep what youre saying about them noticing it is ics once they receive it.

Im having sporadic issues with the screen dimming like its going to sleep however it definitely shouldnt be because it happens when im in the middle of using it. I have to turn my phone off and on again to temporarily fix it. This just started happening yesterday.

I dont know if this issue is leak related but i would suspect not.. i may install 242 to see if it fixes it but i dont know how much longer i can take this! It is a very annoying problem..

Just remember if you go through Verizon for a CLN Replacement on the grounds of a "Warranty Issue", chances are they will receive the phone and ding you for 600 bucks (retail cost) since you modified the phone. Installing leaks or rooting etc is grounds for Warranty Violation.