Can you permanently delete messages from Gmail?

bigtmonee

Reaction score
Can you permanently delete messages from Gmail from your Droid?

I can delete messages from my inbox just fine. Then I try to delete them under the trash label, and it says all the messages have been deleted. But then everytime I go to delete a new message under the trash label I find all the messages are back from the dead! Freaky! Is anyone else finding this or is something up with my phone?

Thanks guys.

Last edited:

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I can delete messages from my inbox just fine. Then I try to delete them under the trash label, and it says all the messages have been deleted. But then everytime I go to delete a new message under the trash label I find all the messages are back from the dead! Freaky! Is anyone else finding this or is something up with my phone?

Thanks guys.

In gmail on line when you go to the trash you can permanently delete the email. I went to my phone, email/menu/folders/gmail trash and deleted a message I just deleted. It appears to be gone permanently. I saw the message you are talking about, you just have to wait for the message to load again completely before you can delete it permanently.

OP
B

bigtmonee

Reaction score
Hmm, so you can only do it from gmail.com? Not through the app?

Nabiyah1

Reaction score
Yes You Can Delete Message from Gmail from an Android Phone

Thanks guys.

I was having this same problem and after a little bit of research I found a solution. It's a royal pain, but it is "A" solution to your complaint. Unfortunately, I haven't found a more viable one at this time. :frown:

• The Gmail app for android phones doesn't appear to offer an option to permanently delete emails from the trash bin within the app itself with the way its language is currently written. You will have to use a work around. For those who are interested follow the instructions below.

Open your Gmail account from your android device's web browser. Scroll down to the bottom of the screen and select desktop version. Now go to your trash folder/bin and select the items to delete & choose "delete forever." Unfortunately, deleting under this option does not offer any "select all" options to speed up the process. You must manually go down the line, selecting each line item in your trash bin. It is a pain, I admit, but it does solve the issue. Perhaps doing this on a routine basis until they come up with an update would prove beneficial. NOTE: Opening your Gmail account from a Laptop or PC will not remove the copy that is housed on your phone device. This remains true even if your settings are pointing to IMAP enabled options rather than Pop/Pop3. Also... If your Gmail App for your phone was open prior to your changes, you will have to close it, reopen it and refresh, in order to view evidence of your deletions.

I hope this helps :byepalm: