Can you go with out having a search button

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
droid life posted an article on the new lg device

LG Spectrum Launching January 19 on Verizon with 1.5GHz Dual-core Processor, 4.5″ HD Display, 4G LTE, and Exclusive HD Content

by: Kellex | posted 01.05.12 | Exclusive, News

The LG Spectrum has long been rumored as the “Revolution 2,” but today, it is now officially the Spectrum and is headed to Verizon Wireless on January 19. Pricing has not been uncovered, but you can imagine that it will range from $249 – $299 on 2-year contract and anywhere between $569 and $649 at full retail. The Spectrum is easily LG’s best VZW phone to date with its 1.5GHz dual-core processor, 1GB of RAM, 4G LTE connectivity and massive 4.5″ HD display at 329ppi. And speaking of its HD screen, Verizon is making sure that you know it has a Real Stripe pixel arrangement and is not PenTile.
Specs aside, the Spectrum will also launch with access to exclusive HD ESPN Scorecenter content and the Netflix HD that is currently only found on the RAZR. A special set of HD video editing tools will be included as well.
We had been wondering what Big Red’s plan for CES was and I’d say this phone will likely be it (maybe the DROID 4 too). The full round-up is after the break including the entire spec list.
A look at the specs:

• 4.5″ True HD IPS display, protected by Gorilla Glass
  • 1.5GHz dual-core Snapdragon S3 processor
  • 8MP rear camera, shoots 1080p video
  • 1.3MP front camera
  • 1GB of RAM
  • 4GB of on-board storage, 16GB micro SD card pre-installed
  • 4G LTE
  • Mobile hotspot shares up to 10 connections
  • Android 2.3
  • 1830mAh battery (optional 3000mAh extended battery available at launch)
  • Bluetooth 3.0
  • Swype
  • Dimensions: 5.33″ x 2.71″ x .41″
  • Weight: 4.99 oz.
Full list and release date:

Gallery:

And maybe this is just me, but is Google Maps missing from the spec list? They couldn’t revive Bing could they?
Overall though, this is a pretty impressive device from LG and Verizon. I’ve been a downer on LG for a number of years now, but this has definitely caught my eye, especially with that 4.5″ HD display. Bring it to us at CES, please.
Cheers ___!

And we all know the nexus no longer have a search button.

View attachment 45451

If oems take the path of dumping the 4th button (the search button) will you have a problem with that. Do you even use the search button or is it one of those things where you really will not miss it until it is gone.

I have the Nexus and I am doing just fine without the search button; but others wanted it back and added via soft key mod.

lfylove

Reaction score
Honesty I've never used the search button.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

kparks

Reaction score
Just give me a home and back button and im good to go i have never used the search button and very very rarely use the menu button.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

Art Vandelay

Reaction score
Just give me a home and back button and im good to go i have never used the search button and very very rarely use the menu button.

The recent button for ICS is very convenient though.

How do you rarely use the menu button? Just about every app uses it for more options/settings. I mean its not as high a priority as home and back, but without a doubt it is a necessity to have.

newparadigm

Reaction score
I like back, long-press back kills app, home, and menu. Learning to use recent apps button on ICS though. No need for search.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

lfylove

Reaction score

How do you rarely use the menu button? Just about every app uses it for more options/settings. I mean its not as high a priority as home and back, but without a doubt it is a necessity to have.

exactly wat I was thinking lol

kparks

Reaction score

Yes i use it that way but my thinking was it could be doubled with the home key long press home would act as menu that type of thing i just didnt finish typing out my thought long press home pulls up recent apps.. i never use it but some people might not be able to go with out it so idk.. so ur right my bad.

Last edited:

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
I always got rid of the long search bar shortcut and used the search button instead. That long search bar was redundant. That said...I rarely used the search button. lol It was nice for phone numbers...until other manufactures started using T9 dialing. I have a G Nex for about a day, was missing the Menu button soft key when on the home screens........didnt realize the Settings button was in the notification area. Was getting a lil peeved that I was gonna have to use a Settings shortcut on one of the home screens. I'm still getting used to that.

I would miss the Menu key more than the Search key.

Crazycatlady

Reaction score
I missed the menu key at first, but got used to the little one that magically appears on the right when I need it. Only time I ever hit the search button was by accident, so I'm glad its gone. I like the recent activities button...if I could only remember its there!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Pink Tapatalk

spillner

Reaction score
Don't shoot me guys but I love the search button and use it quite often. Every time I needed to know something or find some place that button helped me find it.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

alboboy10

Reaction score
Don't care about the search button. The only thing unappealing about this phone is that LG logo on it.