Can you customize notifications by contact?

girlred2

Reaction score
Hi. Getting used to my new Droid...1.5 weeks old now! I'm getting frustrated with a couple of things. The first is that I like to have custom notifications for my contacts so that I know if I have to check my texts immediately (mom :heart:) or if they can wait (work:icon_evil:). Is this possible. Also, I cannot attach music to mms texts. Is this possible? I like to send texts with pics and sound attached but can't figure it out. Help!

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Hey welcome to the forums!

In Contacts, hit the contact u wanna customize, then hit the Menu key (the one with the 4 lines). Hit Options, from there u should be able to set the ringtone/notification.

For sending music in messages, while in the message, hit the Menu key, u should see Attach.

Hopes this works. If not, I know why.

Last edited:
OP
G

girlred2

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply. I am able to customize ringtones for phone calls but not for notifications (i.e. text messages). Any thoughts on that. I can also add pictures to messages but it doesn't give me the option to add music. The only option is that I could record a sound and attach it but i'm trying to attach things I already have saved. Also...why can't i figure out how to start a regular thread. I can only figure it out in this new users section!

AnneDroid

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply. I am able to customize ringtones for phone calls but not for notifications (i.e. text messages). Any thoughts on that. I can also add pictures to messages but it doesn't give me the option to add music. The only option is that I could record a sound and attach it but i'm trying to attach things I already have saved. Also...why can't i figure out how to start a regular thread. I can only figure it out in this new users section!

Welcome, girlred2! In the stock messaging app you have a choice of notifications for messaging, but that choice is for everyone. So one siz fits all so to speak. I hear that if you download and use Handcent (in the Market), you can assign a different notification tone for each of your texting contacts, just like you can for the phone. Hope the helps!

:welcome:

JayCizzo

Reaction score
Yes, Handcent or SMSPopup allow custom notifications for different contacts. Another cool app is SayMyName which will speak the contacts name as a notification. I have SayMyName installed along with SMSPopup so when my brother texts me for example it will go, "Josh", then a slight pause, and them my notifications sound plays, Stewie from Family Guy, "What the deuce is all the commotion".

As for sending sounds, the only workaround I can think of would be to send from your Gmail to someone's phone number. For Verizon users you would add @vzwpix.com" to the end of their phone number (minus the quotes).

Welcome to the forum.

edit. you would add "@vzwpix.com" for sounds/pix. The other one is for straight texts.

Last edited:
OP
G

girlred2

Reaction score
Thanks everyone! I will be going to the market later to pick up a few apps then!

jawa6969

Reaction score
Yes, Handcent or SMSPopup allow custom notifications for different contacts. Another cool app is SayMyName which will speak the contacts name as a notification. I have SayMyName installed along with SMSPopup so when my brother texts me for example it will go, "Josh", then a slight pause, and them my notifications sound plays, Stewie from Family Guy, "What the deuce is all the commotion".

As for sending sounds, the only workaround I can think of would be to send from your Gmail to someone's phone number. For Verizon users you would add @vzwpix.com" to the end of their phone number (minus the quotes).

Welcome to the forum.

edit. you would add "@vzwpix.com" for sounds/pix. The other one is for straight texts.

Could you please point out how to set a custom notification sound for just one contact. I have ESPN text me score updates for my favorite baseball team. I want it to make the CHARGE sound I put on my phone when I get a score update.

Thanks.

JayCizzo

Reaction score

Welcome to the forum.

Could you please point out how to set a custom notification sound for just one contact. I have ESPN text me score updates for my favorite baseball team. I want it to make the CHARGE sound I put on my phone when I get a score update.

Thanks.

So you want one sound for your ESPN contact and one sound for the rest of your contacts? I believe you just go into custom notifications and set the one up for ESPN. Any other contacts that aren't added in the custom area will just default to your standard notification.