[ ? ] Can you boot directly into recovery?

kamisan

Reaction score
If you talking stock recovery you can, for any recovery for loading custom 'anything' you need the bootstrap option. I believe that is all due to the locked boot loader issue... Stock recovery is good if you have flashed back to stock and are trying to update factory images to update your radio and kernel... ie. 886 to 893 then 5.5.893 to 5.7.893 etc.. Easily Upgrade To 5.7.893, Keep Root And Webtop - RootzWiki is a linked page I see alot. If custom rom flashing is what you seek though, bootstrap recovery is your deal until the bootloader gets either unlocked, cracked, etc.

OP
GohanBurner

GohanBurner

Reaction score
Yeah, I was referring to the custom recovery. I know with the D1 I was able to just boot right into it as if I was going into "stock" recovery. Why doesn't Motorola just get with the program already? Isn't the software part of the phone supposed to be open source anyway per agreement with Google to use the software in the first place? What are they afraid of? Do they think we are going to make money LOL.

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
Its not Moto, its Verizon....Moto leaves bootloader decisions up to the carrier. That's why the rest of the world is going to see an unlockable razr and Verizon's will be encrypted. Not much hope for the Bionic unlocking unless Big Red gets generous....

Sent from my CushZero using Tapatalk

yiannis

Reaction score
Its not Moto, its Verizon....Moto leaves bootloader decisions up to the carrier. That's why the rest of the world is going to see an unlockable razr and Verizon's will be encrypted. Not much hope for the Bionic unlocking unless Big Red gets generous....

Doesn't VZW have unlocked bootloaders in some of their other phones?

Yonnor

I r Teh Greetest
Reaction score

The OG was the only truely unlocked bootloader VZ had in my opinion, the Nexus line is unlockable, but thats a true Dev/google phone, but who knows what VZ will decide to do. VZ has had everything since the DX locked down like Fort Knox. Our only hope is for a Moto/VZ insider to leak the encryption key/package signature.

OT: Hashcodes has released a beta Bootstrap app for the Bionic that allows booting into Recovery via BP Tools. Its available on his blog, (i dont have the link, but just google "Hash of Codes Blogspot" )

Butt dialed from my hamburger phone

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score

Sort of. No phone ships with an unlocked bootloader to Verizon (aside from the OG). They are all "unlockable" (except Moto), but that's because HTC, Samsung, ect don't leave the bootloader up to Verizon, while Moto does. As long as VZ can charge for tethering services, you can bet they'll ask Moto to lock it down tighter than Ft. Knox.

BoOmKaPoW

Reaction score
Download Safestrap. It allows you to boot into recovery after the initial Motorola logo. I've been using it for several days now and love it.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums