Can Xoom replace my phone...in a way?

evilssj4

Reaction score
My OG Droid got busted, i can turn on the phone and all n i can receive calls but the display is all black it doesn't turn on...I went to verizon, they said my manufacture warranty has expired but i do have the warranty i pay 6 bucks a month..but to replace my Droid i will have to pay 100 bucks and i just dont want to pay money to replace it. If im going to spend money I want a new phone...but I REALLY want the motorola xoom, with this method of sipdroid and google voice, can i somehow just replace my phone in a way? I mean it is kind of silly that i will have to carry the thing around but of course i wont b able to carry it when im at a club, amusement part ect ect...what do you guys think? Because the thunderbolt isnt catching my attention.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
as a media device, it is far superior, as a phone....well it's got no calling capabilities to my knowledge.

the Xoom is a Tablet, not a smartphone.

luv2increase

Reaction score
as a media device, it is far superior, as a phone....well it's got no calling capabilities to my knowledge.

the Xoom is a Tablet, not a smartphone.

But u could use it as a phone with Google voice. Anywhere u have 3g coverage, u can make and receive calls for free and make unlimited texts. Just get a Google voice number and u r golden.

Too big though to be using as a phone

Sent via DX free with Liberty 1.5

mickmel

Reaction score
But u could use it as a phone with Google voice. Anywhere u have 3g coverage, u can make and receive calls for free and make unlimited texts. Just get a Google voice number and u r golden.

I don't think anyone has got that working on the Xoom yet, have they? You can do texts, but I don't know that anyone has done voice calls using it yet.

Snow02

Reaction score
Yes, google voice and sipdroid works. And it supports bluetooth headsets even.

OP
E

evilssj4

Reaction score
well, i went to vzw and got the xoom! it is a sexy looking thing and works great. but i still ended up getting some cheap phone the samsung intensity II its like eh! but for texting and calling its good enough, since like someone said the xoom is too big to make calls in tho I probably still use google voice and sipdroid for free calls. But im finding using that samsung phone kinda annoying haha kinda do miss having an android phone but the xoom is just too good haha.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
didn't know the Xoom supports google voice, that's cool. However, would find it quite silly to see someone with a 10" tablet up to their face LOL

I'm still waiting for my wifi xoom, preordered and waiting -__-

Snow02

Reaction score
Use a bluetooth headset. There's a thread on it here. Sorry I don't have a link handy.

kennyc

Reaction score

I don't think anyone has got that working on the Xoom yet, have they? You can do texts, but I don't know that anyone has done voice calls using it yet.

How do you do text messaging with a xoom and google voice?

Link please?

To the O.P. you can also use skype (though I've not done it).

Last edited:

kennyc

Reaction score
Open google voice, press menu, press compose.

Well Duh! Clearly I've not messed with it enough. Just tested it out and worked fine. Even forwarded to my DroidX as it should.

Snow02

Reaction score
And now if you install sipdroid, you can make phone calls from the xoom too.