Can we get ProSwitcher on DROID ?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by Sooks, Feb 5, 2010.

1. Sooks

Sooks New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Saw my buddies iphone who had proswitcher on it , it pretty much the pre os and seems like an awesome way of handling multitasking on the droid. here is a video of what im trying to get on the DROID

2. Game4set

Game4set Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Man I've seriously been thinking about that for quite some time! I've had Proswitch on my iPod Touch and it works perfectly. Imagine on the Droid...

3. Sooks

Sooks New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    exactly man , runs amazing on an ipod , imagine on a OCed DROID , it would be smooth as hell and crisp , really a first true way to handle multi tasking :icon_ banana:

4. KZIWarrior

KZIWarrior Silver Member

Ratings:
    +2
    First :welcome: to the both of you.
    I understand you're a bit new to the Droid but there is really no reason for that app... the reason why your iPhony's needed it was that they didn't have native support for Multitasking. And in all fairness that app does not allow "multitasking" all it did was put the programs into 'suspension' so their state was not lost when returned (and allowed a simple way to get back to them).

Since the Droid (and the OS) naturally has real multitasking all this is already done. In fact the OS doesn't close most apps until the space is need (i.e. to clear memory) so the state of any program is generally stored for your return (again, unless the app is killed by the OS which isn't very often). Also because you have real multitasking programs will continue to run in the background (i.e. your radio app, your d/ls from the browser will still be active while you write emails).

As to switching between programs once you get your device configured how you like it (i.e. quick access to your apps, abcOrganizer or AppsOrganizer are GREAT for this) you really will have no need for this feature either (since any program will be no more than two button presses away anyway).

So again :welcome: take your time to get to know what the Droid and Android can do and forget all the BS you thought you knew from your iPhonies.

5. larochelle

larochelle New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Just press and hold the home button and out pops up your 6 most recently accessed apps.

6. Sooks

Sooks New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I still think that this is a better way to visually see the task running and a fun eye candy way of doing it .

7. xabeon

xabeon New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I think you misunderstood their intent if I'm reading OP correctly. on the iphone/ipod touch ProSwitcher doesn't actually provide multitasking, instead it builds on another application called "backgrounder" that handles the actual multitasking. ProSwitcher presents multitasking in a card multitasking paragon a la Palm's webOS which is arguably one of the most superior implementations of multitasking on any mobile device. Rather than presenting applications as static icons, the card view paragon pioneered by webOS institutes a card that represents each application and displays the current application's state when you last left it. To note, webOS displays the application's state live rather than the last view you left it as ProSwitcher does. It also handles the functionality as a limited task manager allowing you to close programs by flicking the card upwards.

Many people who've tried this multitasking style will agree with me when I say that there is no match to multitasking as elegant, simple, and well implemented as webOSs'.

8. Sooks

Sooks New Member

Ratings:
    +0

Exactly man , it would be awesome

9. KZIWarrior

KZIWarrior Silver Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for the clarification. But then we still have no need for it on the Droid because we already have multitasking and already have systems in place to monitor background running apps. All that is needed is a plug-in mod to show the "live state" of the programs. Considering that holding the Home soft-key already brings up an app switcher I wouldn't think this too complicated a task. I'd be surprised if it's not already in the work (or if something isn't available that we just don't know about yet.

Edit: Yep, sure enough there are a few already in the market. One in particular (TaskOS Beta) is specifically going after the "look and feel" of "WebOS"... until then there are a few others that allow modding/customizing of the default task switcher.

Note: search function folks, took me all of 10 secs to search on Google and another 20 on the market place to find a list of almost a dozen projects the fit this bill....

#9 KZIWarrior, Feb 5, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2010
  10. Sooks

Sooks New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hmm, i see two in the market , neither of witch are anything close the what proswitcher is .........

11. Profete162

Profete162 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    What do you think of my application TaskOS?

It's now far away less sexy that proswitcher, but I think all the functionnalities are there.

You can browse trough your open apps, close one by dragging icon up, you can even ignore them and choose not to see some ( in settings), you can activate a Big red icon that close all applications, etc.. etc...

You can contact me by the adress linked to the application in android marker! I would be glad to help you!

Thanks to KZIWarrior fot the little ad to my application :icon_ banana:

12. creamers

creamers Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Looks nice but the droid already has perfect multitasking it already supendes them and then using the 6 nmost recently used apps in nice enough. Might try it out sometime though.

Search tags for this page
android backgounder app
android proswitching
apps like backgrounder for android
backgrounder android
backgrounder app for droid

backgrounder for android