Can we change device name showing on router?

Discussion in 'Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Discussions' started by Miller6386, Jul 7, 2015.

1. Miller6386

Miller6386 Developer
    Developer

Ratings:
    +1,734
    Current Phone Model:
    Note 4
    Twitter:
    CoreyFMiller
    I have been having some horrible wifi lag issues the last few months. When I log into my router most all my devices show as "unknown"

The GF's S5 however shows as Android followed by what looks like a mac address..

I want to know how/if I can change that on my devices. I have tried in Wifi direct and device name but neither show on the router.

Any thoughts?

Note 4Tified

2. Mustang02

Mustang02 Diamond Member

Ratings:
    +6,073
    Current Phone Model:
    Nexus 6P/5X
  3. Miller6386

Miller6386 Developer
    Developer

Ratings:
    +1,734
    Current Phone Model:
    Note 4
    Twitter:
    CoreyFMiller
    Thanks, I'm aware of build prop edits but unfortunately this won't help me here. There has to be some way to do it as the S5 is showing its an Android device. I'm thinking perhaps it's the Comcast router just not seeing the device name. Seems in the past with other routers it showed.

Note 4Tified

4. leeshor

leeshor Gold Member

Ratings:
    +1,676
    I have a Galaxy S4 and an LG G4 that both appear as Android with a MAC address. I'm surprised yours doesn't.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas Administrator
    Staff Member Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +8,407
    Current Phone Model:
    Pixel XL
    Twitter:
    jonny_ks
    What brand of router is it? Straight from Comcast? I'm guessing Moto? Anyway, some routers let you give names to devices on the network via the router interface. Other brands (NetGear is one) have a whole software solution for monitoring and managing your network on top of being able to just log into the router via the web interface.

Also, depending on the router, if you're worried about people that you haven't authorized getting on your network, you should be able to change the password and/or SSID (network name). On a halfway decent router, you can tell it not to broadcast the SSID (extra layer of security, because then people have to know the EXACT name of your network, case sensitive AND the password), and/or set up MAC filtering so that only devices you manually enter can connect. I realize this entire paragraph is basically not needed based on the posts here so far, but figured I'd give a quick lesson in case others stumble upon this thread. ;)

• Useful Useful x 1
Search tags for this page
android device name not router
android phone name not showing on router
how to change the name of nexus 6p

how to spoof device name for comcast

netgear android device name