Can we change device name showing on router?

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
I have been having some horrible wifi lag issues the last few months. When I log into my router most all my devices show as "unknown"

The GF's S5 however shows as Android followed by what looks like a mac address..

I want to know how/if I can change that on my devices. I have tried in Wifi direct and device name but neither show on the router.

Any thoughts?

Note 4Tified

OP
Miller6386

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
What brand of router is it? Straight from Comcast? I'm guessing Moto? Anyway, some routers let you give names to devices on the network via the router interface. Other brands (NetGear is one) have a whole software solution for monitoring and managing your network on top of being able to just log into the router via the web interface.

Also, depending on the router, if you're worried about people that you haven't authorized getting on your network, you should be able to change the password and/or SSID (network name). On a halfway decent router, you can tell it not to broadcast the SSID (extra layer of security, because then people have to know the EXACT name of your network, case sensitive AND the password), and/or set up MAC filtering so that only devices you manually enter can connect. I realize this entire paragraph is basically not needed based on the posts here so far, but figured I'd give a quick lesson in case others stumble upon this thread. ;)