can verizon handle the congestion?

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
My guess is the grandfathering plan will include your current phone and contract. This means when someone decides to upgrade to a new model their data plan will change because they are signing a new contract. This means that current users will be fine, but when they want the new iphone 4 or whatever they decide to go with their contract will change as well, forcing them onto the new data bucket plan. Verizon will be doing the same thing (they have as much said so), the only catch will be how much cash they plan on charging for their buckets. A smart VZW would price better than ATT, but a greedy one would follow the market prices set by their competition. Any bets on whether they will be smart.... or greedy?

They are greedy.
We don't have real competition between them at all. One goes first the other follows because they know the lack real choices other than the big 3 limits people from defecting.
It is collusion without the illegality of actually discussing it with the competition.
They drop hints to each other in the press before they act so all of those companies are ready to do the same thing around the same time. It is pure BS.

Welcome to capitalism. At least the oligopoly version, anyway.

forkup

Reaction score
$ 5-10 extra per gig is ridiculous. Bandwidth for them will be cheaper. On my home service with road runner I consistently use 250-400 gigs a month. Yes I know that's excessive but with movies and what not it's easy to do, of course my plan is truly unlimited. With the advant of 4g and reasonable pricing they could take over the cable and dsl market. As mentioned above if one could use any number of devices and share a bandwidth pool that would be the way to go. Also you can figure that sooner or later all voice traffic well be over ip as well so there would be no need for a voice minute type plan. You could bundle all your internet devices under one monthly bill. Surely verizon would profit enormously under that scenario considering bandwidth keeps getting cheaper. To be redundant they could have all voice traffic and take away business from the cable and dsl companies with only one 4g network handling it all thereby saving on infrastructure and possibly manpower to run it all.

bje1982

Reaction score
with att getting rid of their unlimited plan, can Verizons network handle all the ex att users?

Its already been confirmed that Verizon will eventually have bundled data packages instead of unlimited once LTE is launched or shortly there after.

pyro6128

Reaction score
Once these changes come into effect from both att and verizon, sprint is going to see a nice little spike in users. With their $69.99 unlimited voice and data, a lot of people are going to jump ship and head over there. Many people will disregard that Verizon's network is superior in favor of saving a couple of dollars. And if Sprint keeps getting phones like the Evo, it will be that much easier for people to make the switch. Sprint seems to be a wild card in this whole situation

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
R

Romple

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Many people will disregard that Verizon's network is superior in favor of saving a couple of dollars.
While I agree that Verizon will lose some customers when they start pushing limited data plans, I'd think that those switching due to on price would have already done so. Verizon has never been cheap as far as I can recall.

R

Romple

Many people will disregard that Verizon's network is superior in favor of saving a couple of dollars.
While I agree that Verizon will lose some customers when they start pushing limited data plans, I'd think that those switching due to on price would have already done so. Verizon has never been cheap as far as I can recall.

Yea but before the plans were fairly comparable. This is like saying "we're dropping all our voice plans and offering you a 20 minute plan, and a 100 minute plan".

No one's been severely limited by a resource yet. People can jump ship to save money AND get more of something. Before they'd only save money.

OP
S

sroach23

Reaction score
they had some iphone idots saying they watch youtube all day long and only hit 100mb a month. cant wait till they get the plan that is 200mb thinking theyll save some money.