Can this ROM be trusted?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hoppermi

Reaction score
I had long redraws also on v2. You might try metickone's alpha MIUI, redraw hasn't been an issue.

yakitori

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Ill live with it. Dont want to mess with it anymore at the moment. Redraws dont happen often if I use the back button rather than pressing the home key to go back to my main screen if I have apps/browser open doing things.

And it doesnt happen that often, but it does happen.

ASN-121

Reaction score
Call me cynical, paranoid or whatever but I had this ROM installed for 5 minutes before I ripped it off my phone. It was very slick, but the hacked together feel and brokeness of it creeped me out.

Do we know that this ROM isn't some cover for a mass phishing attack? If you think about it, how ingenious is it to wrap your spyware in some pretty eye candy?

Has anyone got under the hood of this thing and looked at whats truly going on or we all blinded by the "newness" of it?
After reading this, all I could think is 'this is exactly the kind of thinking that got the red scare started'.
If you're so paranoid, then why are you running anything other than the OTA updates? You should have never rooted your phone in the first place if this is truly how you feel. And if you're afraid that even the OTA can't be trusted, then you just shouldn't have a phone at all, plain and simple. Plus, what's the point of seeing if somebody else ripped open the code and scanned it? How do you know you can trust what somebody on the internet tells you? I could tell you I pulled it apart and found nothing wrong, but I could also be the person who implemented your fictitious spyware/malware onto the phone. Be productive and pull the code yourself and study it. If you were to find something, then come on here and post it, where somebody else would most likely verify. Othewise, all you're doing is taking up space and wasting people's time. Way to troll, bud.
Lastly, if you're comfortable enough to run somebody's else's ROM on your phone, be it this, Pete, Chevy, etc., but you're still worried about things like this, then why install it right away? There's this thing called 'patience,' and you could simply wait until somebody has gotten down and dirty with the ROM to see exactly what's going on. If you want it now and you can't wait, then deal with the consequences of it, whatever they may be. Don't place the blame on somebody else, it's not like somebody held a gun to your head and forced you to flash this ROM.

OP
K

kerbero9

Reaction score
Call me cynical, paranoid or whatever but I had this ROM installed for 5 minutes before I ripped it off my phone. It was very slick, but the hacked together feel and brokeness of it creeped me out.

Do we know that this ROM isn't some cover for a mass phishing attack? If you think about it, how ingenious is it to wrap your spyware in some pretty eye candy?

Has anyone got under the hood of this thing and looked at whats truly going on or we all blinded by the "newness" of it?
After reading this, all I could think is 'this is exactly the kind of thinking that got the red scare started'.
If you're so paranoid, then why are you running anything other than the OTA updates? You should have never rooted your phone in the first place if this is truly how you feel. And if you're afraid that even the OTA can't be trusted, then you just shouldn't have a phone at all, plain and simple. Plus, what's the point of seeing if somebody else ripped open the code and scanned it? How do you know you can trust what somebody on the internet tells you? I could tell you I pulled it apart and found nothing wrong, but I could also be the person who implemented your fictitious spyware/malware onto the phone. Be productive and pull the code yourself and study it. If you were to find something, then come on here and post it, where somebody else would most likely verify. Othewise, all you're doing is taking up space and wasting people's time. Way to troll, bud.

Wow..did someone piss in your cornflakes this morning? You don't happen to be a Bills fan, do you? Cause it's really not my fault that they suck. Anyway, sorry bro... didn't know that asking a question was "trolling and wasting people's time"

Lastly, if you're comfortable enough to run somebody's else's ROM on your phone, be it this, Pete, Chevy, etc., but you're still worried about things like this, then why install it right away? There's this thing called 'patience,' and you could simply wait until somebody has gotten down and dirty with the ROM to see exactly what's going on. If you want it now and you can't wait, then deal with the consequences of it, whatever they may be. Don't place the blame on somebody else, it's not like somebody held a gun to your head and forced you to flash this ROM.

Seriously dude...did you even read my OP??? I installed it because it looked cool and removed it cause it creeped me out. Was it because the ROM was from China? ABSOLUTELY! Did we all forgot the high profile China/Google hacking episode from earlier this year??? I simply asked if anyone has looked under the covers...that's all. End of story. Who am I blaming? How am I being impatient? What are you talking about????? :icon_eek:

ASN-121

Reaction score
Did you even read your OP, or my response? I simply said that if you truly feel paranoid about this sort of thing, then you shouldn't be running a third-party ROM on your phone. There's logic in what I said, unfortunately, there's none in what you're saying.
Sure, there's hackers that were traced to China, but you just condemned an entire nation because of one person or a small group of people. Do you even realize how foolish that is? It's racism! China is the most densely populated country in the world, and because of one outlier, you make 1.3 BILLION people out to be bad. Do you know how many hackers there are in the US? Korea? Europe? Does that mean that we're all automatically bad?
And you didn't simply ask a question, you attempted to incite fear by bringing up a situation where people's phones are compromised by spyware without any rational basis to do so, thus, trying to create a panic. This is the electronic equivalent of shouting fire in a theater.
And I told you once already, rip it open yourself and see... Even if you don't have the know-how, I'm sure Google could help get you started, and if you had any questions, there's plenty of coders in this community. Stop being lazy and expecting somebody else to do all the work for you. Somebody already took the time to port this over to your phone so that you could use it, and instead of thanking them, you ask for more.
As for your last few questions... you're not placing the blame on anybody directly, but you're not taking responsibility for the fact that YOU installed this on your phone. And you're being impatient in that you couldn't wait, you had to try it out right away before feeling safe about running it. Like I said, you could wait a while, research the ROM (this would have almost guaranteed you never posting this thread as you would have seen what MIUI is all about), see what people's responses are to running it, and then you could have made an educated decision. Instead, you're in the stupid American mindset of "I want it all and I want it now! I don't want to know anything about it, just give it to me!"

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
Respect is Number One on this Forum...if we can't all have it then this thread will be closed

OP
K

kerbero9

Reaction score
Respect is Number One on this Forum...if we can't all have it then this thread will be closed

TP76 - just kill the thread. I was simply asking a question. I think I got my answer... it's safe and I'm a lazy racist.

We can all now move on with our lives...

irishpride

Reaction score
Did you even read your OP, or my response? I simply said that if you truly feel paranoid about this sort of thing, then you shouldn't be running a third-party ROM on your phone. There's logic in what I said, unfortunately, there's none in what you're saying.
Sure, there's hackers that were traced to China, but you just condemned an entire nation because of one person or a small group of people. Do you even realize how foolish that is? It's racism! China is the most densely populated country in the world, and because of one outlier, you make 1.3 BILLION people out to be bad. Do you know how many hackers there are in the US? Korea? Europe? Does that mean that we're all automatically bad?
And you didn't simply ask a question, you attempted to incite fear by bringing up a situation where people's phones are compromised by spyware without any rational basis to do so, thus, trying to create a panic. This is the electronic equivalent of shouting fire in a theater.
And I told you once already, rip it open yourself and see... Even if you don't have the know-how, I'm sure Google could help get you started, and if you had any questions, there's plenty of coders in this community. Stop being lazy and expecting somebody else to do all the work for you. Somebody already took the time to port this over to your phone so that you could use it, and instead of thanking them, you ask for more.
As for your last few questions... you're not placing the blame on anybody directly, but you're not taking responsibility for the fact that YOU installed this on your phone. And you're being impatient in that you couldn't wait, you had to try it out right away before feeling safe about running it. Like I said, you could wait a while, research the ROM (this would have almost guaranteed you never posting this thread as you would have seen what MIUI is all about), see what people's responses are to running it, and then you could have made an educated decision. Instead, you're in the stupid American mindset of "I want it all and I want it now! I don't want to know anything about it, just give it to me!"

It's ridiculous how people just love to scream racism, even when there is nothing racist about the statement, post or whatever. To me you just sound like another pissed off hater. And where do you get off trashing American's, I think you should read your previous posts, talk about ignorant.

We are here to talk about a shared interest(Android), how about you take a step back and chill a little.

Sent From My Galaxy S

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Thread closed. Don't be surprised if threes is an infraction sent out.

It was a bad idea to start a thread like this in the first place.

And as to said respect is# 1 in the Droid Forums. Doesn't.look lime people are.being respectful tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.