Can the TB be used as a phone?

Discussion in 'HTC ThunderBolt' started by mitchb2, Jul 5, 2011.

1. mitchb2

mitchb2 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I went to an amusement park last week. The TB was at 100% when I unplugged it from the car at 10am.

Didn't use it for anything all day.

At 4pm I went to call my wife to tell her where to meet and the TB was stone dead.

<6 hours of standby time is a joke.
    Is there some mode to shut down everything but the phone?

2. Kittysback

Kittysback Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Must be something running in the background? I get a full day with moderate use.

Sent from my Thunderbolt using DroidForums

3. Ambushbug

Ambushbug Member

Ratings:
    +0
    That is a bit extreme. I'm not a heavy phone user, I typically get between 16-24 hours on my stock battery.

A few suggestions, usually the biggest user of power is display so keep the brightness lowered, though that wouldn't be the case if you were not using the phone. Second thing is to try JuiceDefender, you can find a free version of it on the app store. Third I would say bump your batter, instructions on how to do so can be found here: Official response from HTC RE: How to double battery Life (WORKS!) + 2nd Reply - xda-developers Lots of other things you can adjust such as how often your social networks and emails update, just have to decide what's a priority to you.

4. nonnasmyladie

nonnasmyladie Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Current Phone Model:
    Pixel XL
    Twitter:
    Nonnasmyladie
    Ya a thunderbolt would not hold a charge for 24 hours,even if it was idle the whole time.

sent from my thunderbolt

5. Kittysback

Kittysback Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Mine does. When I went on a gambling trip and hardly used it, I didn't even have to charge it at night. My normal use is I unplug it at 5:00 AM and put it back on charge around 9:00 PM. And it's not dead, but it is low.

6. Kittysback

Kittysback Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I just checked and mine has been unplugged for 12 hours and 45 minutes, moderate use throughout day, and my battery is at 40%.

7. Crazed_Z06

Crazed_Z06 Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Turn off the phone until needed?

The Thunderbolt is terrible when you need it as a mobile phone. Like if you plan on going out on the town at night or plan on being out all day for a County fair or something.. My "solution" is to bring two extra batteries with me. It's lame, but whatre you gonna do?

8. Kittysback

Kittysback Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I went on a gambling trip and unplugged the phone around noon (when I got out of my car)... didn't get home til 2:00 PM the next day, and it still had a charge left. I used it very little, however, with just a few text messages and a few posts to Face Book. Mine seems to last okay if I don't use it. Actually, even with moderate use I get a day out of it... as I said, I unplug it around 5:00 AM and plug it back in around 9:00 PM. I just refreshed it (not sure I did that before my last post)... My screen now says unplugged for 13 hours and 50 minutes, and it's at 31%... with moderate-heavy usage.

9. Crazed_Z06

Crazed_Z06 Member

Ratings:
    +4
    My issue with the TB battery is the incosistency. One day, it might be semi-acceptable and last 12 hours. The next day you might go to the County Fair and no use it at all and it's dead within 6 hours. It's a total crapshoot sometimes.

10. Kittysback

Kittysback Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I had one time where mine drained within a few hours... and when I checked to see what was running, "Android System" was listed first... it's usually the display running first. So I'm not sure what happened there. I rebooted the phone and it was fine.

11. VolDroid

VolDroid Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I turn off all the syncing of the different accounts if I'm going to be out like that. Seems to save battery pretty well and you can either turn them all back on when on your way home on sync them individually by manually opening the account like facebook or twitter. I have mine set for manual sync instead of a constant. I turn off the news completely.

12. nonnasmyladie

nonnasmyladie Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Current Phone Model:
    Pixel XL
    Twitter:
    Nonnasmyladie
    Where did you get your phone BC even HTC doesn't make such grand claims.

sent from my thunderbolt