Can the 2.01 be declined ?

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
There may be apps coming along that are designed to run best on the latest version. They may not run so well on older versions. I mean, how many games coming out now for Windows 3.11?

With the Voyager, the updates were elective, but you had to go to a Verizon store to get the upgrade.

Last edited:

droidhero

Reaction score
I am pretty sure I read in the update sticky that if you decided not to download the update you would recieve a reminder notification every 30 minutes. Now that would be annoying to deal with I think.

But I also agree with your logic, If it isnt broke don't fix it. If your happy and feel you dont need the update more power to you.

vzwmandroid

Reaction score
uumm its mandatory your phone is just going to keep asking to up grade like
beyonce-let me let me upgrade ya let me upgrade ya - i hate that commercial

keiichi25

Reaction score
Well, it isn't necessarily 'mandatory'. The update is suppose to help fix some of the flaws the software has, one of which is the Camera's Auto Focus which was admitted to be a software bug, not just simply a cleaning of the lens.

One thing I have noticed with the current 2.0.1, is that the battery usage is a bit more efficent, or maybe it was due to newer updates of Automatic Task Killer and TasKiller in play. After running close to 4 hours unplugged and randomly checking mail and such on my Droid, 100% -> 90% battery usage so far.

otaku

Reaction score
Your camera might work fine now, but wait until 12/12 after the time bug kicks in again! Remember, Google and Motorola admitted there was a bug that was triggered ever 24.5 days or whatever, and the next time the bug will trigger will be 12/11...at which point your camera should start sucking again for another 24.5 days...or until you update.

keiichi25

Reaction score
Do a search on that for 'Mandatory' as well. I believe the Mandatory part is if you wish to have provided support, you will need to be on that version of the firmware. It will also nag you to do it if you don't want to, but I am sure there are ways around it.

The point of the matter is, when you look up their other mandatory entries, the option is there for you not to do it, but by not updating, you are also subject to no support on the device or service in question for not doing the update in question.

OP
Mongoose

Mongoose

Reaction score
Wow, dude it's an upgrade not a downgrade. The glass is half full, not half empty.

If Microsoft sends you an update and tells you it's important do you just ignore that too?

I have to laugh....Dude..!!! I guess you don't get it. From my perspective the glass is already full and I'm being asked to empty it. (Maybe)

BTW...Microsoft always allows you the option of declining their updates and if you have enough computers with different OS's...(which I do)..then Yes...I absolutely do ignore software updates that aren't necessary.

As I have said, I'll just wait...if I don't like what it does then it's simple enough to take the phone back. We shall see. In the meantime...I appreciate the passion you all have for your electronic device. All I did was ask a question...It wasn't my intent to bring all the flamers out of the closet. :icon_ devil:

OP
Mongoose

Mongoose

Reaction score
---Quote (Originally by StiKemUp)---
Update seems very snappy and fast all around. However, the browser took a major hit in performance. I used to love showing off how smooth it was, but now when scrolling around it's VERY clunky and jittery.
---End Quote---
Me too, browser scrolling is abysmal. Bad google, BAD!

This is the stuff that makes my point. Theres a ton of it out there. My phone is already "snappy" and I have no lag anywhere...and now this kind of stuff after the update...:icon_ devil:

keiichi25

Reaction score
Here is my recommendation to you:

Find someone in your area with a Droid, a friend, cousin, joe schmoe you trust...

See if he has the update. Or better yet, manually updated his/her phone. Reason I say this is that when you talk to people about their experience, it will always be 'relative' to their perception. If you are not sure, see for yourself with their phone doing the things you want and compare it to how you do it on your phone, hopefully, with them being on the same level as you are with regards to what apps are running or not running.

I find that when people report 'jerkiness'... It is also a little speculative due to the fact that apps may also introduce a little squirrelliness into the mix or it is a perceived belief.

Point in fact - I have a user who believes the internet is 'slow' because of something internal. And he was right for one part, but when that was fixed, and then something else changed, he went back to that same belief it was 'slow' or there was something wrong. He even went as far to believe that his internet connection was faster than ours (Which physically it was.), but failed to understand how he was measuring the 'speed' because he was using a website loading time as his measure and the fact that a larger pipe does not make a webpage load faster 100% of the time. Other factors play into it.

Suffice it to say, my recommendation is do a comparative against someone else's droid with yours to see if what your concerns are about are going to be issues for you.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Update seems very snappy and fast all around. However, the browser took a major hit in performance. I used to love showing off how smooth it was, but now when scrolling around it's VERY clunky and jittery.
---End Quote---
This is the stuff that makes my point. Theres a ton of it out there. My phone is already "snappy" and I have no lag anywhere...and now this kind of stuff after the update...:icon_ devil:
I've had none of the issues mentioned. It amazes me that you'd be willing to return the phone because of a Mandatory update.

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
As I have said, I'll just wait...if I don't like what it does then it's simple enough to take the phone back.

If you take the phone back, will it be an exchange for another Droid? If so, the replacement will probably have the update.

One thing I've noticed. This last week there's been a lot of App updates. Evidently if something isn't working since the update, they're working on correcting that. Google Maps is one example.

Last edited:
OP
Mongoose

Mongoose

Reaction score
Here is my recommendation to you:

Find someone in your area with a Droid, a friend, cousin, joe schmoe you trust...

See if he has the update. Or better yet, manually updated his/her phone. Reason I say this is that when you talk to people about their experience, it will always be 'relative' to their perception. If you are not sure, see for yourself with their phone doing the things you want and compare it to how you do it on your phone, hopefully, with them being on the same level as you are with regards to what apps are running or not running.

I find that when people report 'jerkiness'... It is also a little speculative due to the fact that apps may also introduce a little squirrelliness into the mix or it is a perceived belief.

Point in fact - I have a user who believes the internet is 'slow' because of something internal. And he was right for one part, but when that was fixed, and then something else changed, he went back to that same belief it was 'slow' or there was something wrong. He even went as far to believe that his internet connection was faster than ours (Which physically it was.), but failed to understand how he was measuring the 'speed' because he was using a website loading time as his measure and the fact that a larger pipe does not make a webpage load faster 100% of the time. Other factors play into it.

Suffice it to say, my recommendation is do a comparative against someone else's droid with yours to see if what your concerns are about are going to be issues for you.

Thank You...this is the most worthwhile comment yet. I'd like to do that too...but I don't know anyone else close by with one of these things much less someone with the upgrade. I dont seem to have any choice in this and I'm not going to tolerate having a reminder flashing every 30 minutes. I am hoping that whatever is altered by v 2.01 is not something that I use that often and that other things that I have running that I am satisfied with will not be impacted to the point where I will get frustrated with the phone. I do like the silly thing and I fully understand Motorola/VZN wanting to get it as bug free as possible and make it a world class device capable of competing with RIM and Apple. I just wish I had a choice...as I have said before...I'm really satisfied with it and mine is performing flawlessly WITHOUT the upgarde.

But Thank You for the suggestion. I'll be keeping my eye out for another one.

OP
Mongoose

Mongoose

Reaction score
---End Quote---
I've had none of the issues mentioned. It amazes me that you'd be willing to return the phone because of a Mandatory update.

Well Martin..thats a good thing and I'm glad that you had none of the issues mentioned. I hope mine is that way also...if so...then no problem and I keep the phone. Perhaps you misunderstand my outlook towards all this. I spent a couple hundred to get this and by God...it worked..it worked REALLY REALLY well...right out of the box just the way I expected it to...absolutely NO issues...a perfect 10 for me. Now..all of a sudden, an event is occuring that MIGHT make my "10"....a lesser number...or it might not. I don't know. What I do know is that if this phone becomes frustrating as a result of the update(as the Storm was on initial release) then I will give it back. If it does not...then I will keep it. Pretty simple eh?? :icon_ devil: