1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Can someone hold my hand? Going form Smoked Glass to BB .9

Discussion in 'Bugless' started by nateccnn, Apr 4, 2010.

1. nateccnn

nateccnn Member

I have Smoked Glass 6.0.1 with 250 to 1100 option on my Droid. I think I have Adamz low voltage kernel but at this point I am not sure. I did a sbf recovery, DMUpdater to get SPReovery 3b then an nandroid restore to get my latest back up of SG 6 back onto my phone. It's posible that during that process I ended up with a different kernel. How do you check? I have re-run the SG install from sd card and chose all the options so this is not just the nandroid restore anymore.

Settings are as follows:

Firmware 2.1 (ESE 53)
    Baseband C_01.3E.03P
    Kernel Version 2.6.29-omap1-g1c56172-dirty adamz@ubuntu #6
    Build number Smoked Glass v6.0

So I attempted to run the kernel install again from Adamz and it installed the rom instead. tgz vs tar.../I can't keep them straight in my tiny pointed head...lol

I tried earlier to install Bugless Beast .9. I downloaded the update zip and put it on the root of the SD and used SPRecovery to install. I chose allow Update.zip and then install update.zip and during the install it stopped and said it failed.

Do I need to install a new kernel first? Do I need to go back to the stock 2.0.1 first. Pete's instruction say do not use this update.zip if coming from a 2.0.1 rom so I assumed I don't want to go back to stock to get to BB.

I can't find a step by step guide anywhere...except for Pete's, which when I follow it it fails.

Nate
  2. nateccnn

nateccnn Member

If I do the nandroid restore it will wipe all my data, right? So which options do I chose to restore all my stuff from my previous nandroid backup? Or do i just reinstall everything from the market and then set up all my settings again?

Nate
  3. powerwagon

powerwagon New Member

Easiest thing you could do would be download ROM Manager from the Market and use that to flash BB...it will walk you through wiping your data/cache so you can start fresh.
  4. nateccnn

nateccnn Member

I have Rom Manager and don't particulary like the Clockwork Recovery. I have Astro Manager. I finally got the right file for Adamz kernels and just installed the low voltage option (it now says #6). Do i need to reinstall the kernel once I install bb? Or am I just wasting my time now? LOL

Nate
  5. nateccnn

nateccnn Member

Paid closer attention this time. Error says update.zip is a bad file. I am re-downloading it and it is taking quite a bit longer to download. I thought it was fast...62mb file in about three seconds. If it doesn't work this time I bet I get a better error that leads me down the right path.

Every time I give tips to a noob I tell them to slow down, relax and read every word on the screen...read it twice...read it again...then answer the question. I need to learn to listen to myself. LOL

Nate
  6. nateccnn

nateccnn Member

Well, now...the update.zip file on my sd card was a whopping 95kb in size. I redownloaded and copied to the root. This time it took a little longer to download and now the zip file on my sd card is 62 mb. Run install through SPRecovery and it worked like a charm. I deserve 10 lashes with a belt for being so stupid.

Thanks for all the tips. It appears you can infact install a rom over another rom. I now have a build number of Bugless Beast .9. However...my CPU is set to 250 to 600. Still have work to do.

Nate
  7. nateccnn

nateccnn Member

Success..sort of. I installed the Bugless Beast .9 over the Smoked Glass install just like I originally posted...only I used a non corrupted copy of the zip file and it worked this time. I also installed Chevys 1.1 Ghz low voltage kernel. The first time it booted I had no Baseband. That meant I had no radio. Which meant I had no 3G or 1x or phone. The rest of the phone was fine. Could OC to 1.1 Ghz. No internet or phone. So I rebooted and it got stuck on the Motorola logo. I reflashed to Adamz 1.1 Ghz low voltage kernel and it booted right up with my newest baseband and phone and internet now worked fine. In SetCPU I set the profile to slow it down to 600 when the battery reaches 112 degrees. So far I have not hit that temp but I am consistently running 102 to 108. I backed it down to 800 Mhz and installed JIT and it seems to be runing as snappy as it was when it was set to 1.1Ghz.

Do you think I should reinstall Adamz 250 to 800 kernel if I am just going to run it at 800 Mhz anyhow. I'm thinking I may want to bump it up for games, but I'm not much of a gamer. i use Space War just to see how fast and hot it will run (getting pretty good at Space War now...high score 7600 but I keep quitting before I kill myself).

I may try Chevys kernels again but I've been playing with this phone all day and the wife wants to go out and play in the non-virtual world so I am hanging it up for today.

Nate
  8. c0Ld

c0Ld New Member

I'm been running Chevy's 1ghz kernel flawlessly for about a month now.