Can someone hold my hand? Going form Smoked Glass to BB .9

Discussion in 'Bugless' started by nateccnn, Apr 4, 2010.

1. nateccnn

nateccnn Member

Ratings:
    +2
    I have Smoked Glass 6.0.1 with 250 to 1100 option on my Droid. I think I have Adamz low voltage kernel but at this point I am not sure. I did a sbf recovery, DMUpdater to get SPReovery 3b then an nandroid restore to get my latest back up of SG 6 back onto my phone. It's posible that during that process I ended up with a different kernel. How do you check? I have re-run the SG install from sd card and chose all the options so this is not just the nandroid restore anymore.

Settings are as follows:

Firmware 2.1 (ESE 53)
    Baseband C_01.3E.03P
    Kernel Version 2.6.29-omap1-g1c56172-dirty adamz@ubuntu #6
    Build number Smoked Glass v6.0

So I attempted to run the kernel install again from Adamz and it installed the rom instead. tgz vs tar.../I can't keep them straight in my tiny pointed head...lol

I tried earlier to install Bugless Beast .9. I downloaded the update zip and put it on the root of the SD and used SPRecovery to install. I chose allow Update.zip and then install update.zip and during the install it stopped and said it failed.

Do I need to install a new kernel first? Do I need to go back to the stock 2.0.1 first. Pete's instruction say do not use this update.zip if coming from a 2.0.1 rom so I assumed I don't want to go back to stock to get to BB.

I can't find a step by step guide anywhere...except for Pete's, which when I follow it it fails.

Nate

2. nateccnn

nateccnn Member

Ratings:
    +2
    If I do the nandroid restore it will wipe all my data, right? So which options do I chose to restore all my stuff from my previous nandroid backup? Or do i just reinstall everything from the market and then set up all my settings again?

Nate

3. powerwagon

powerwagon Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Easiest thing you could do would be download ROM Manager from the Market and use that to flash BB...it will walk you through wiping your data/cache so you can start fresh.

4. nateccnn

nateccnn Member

Ratings:
    +2
    I have Rom Manager and don't particulary like the Clockwork Recovery. I have Astro Manager. I finally got the right file for Adamz kernels and just installed the low voltage option (it now says #6). Do i need to reinstall the kernel once I install bb? Or am I just wasting my time now? LOL

Nate

5. nateccnn

nateccnn Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Paid closer attention this time. Error says update.zip is a bad file. I am re-downloading it and it is taking quite a bit longer to download. I thought it was fast...62mb file in about three seconds. If it doesn't work this time I bet I get a better error that leads me down the right path.

Every time I give tips to a noob I tell them to slow down, relax and read every word on the screen...read it twice...read it again...then answer the question. I need to learn to listen to myself. LOL

Nate

6. nateccnn

nateccnn Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Well, now...the update.zip file on my sd card was a whopping 95kb in size. I redownloaded and copied to the root. This time it took a little longer to download and now the zip file on my sd card is 62 mb. Run install through SPRecovery and it worked like a charm. I deserve 10 lashes with a belt for being so stupid.

Thanks for all the tips. It appears you can infact install a rom over another rom. I now have a build number of Bugless Beast .9. However...my CPU is set to 250 to 600. Still have work to do.

Nate

7. nateccnn

nateccnn Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Success..sort of. I installed the Bugless Beast .9 over the Smoked Glass install just like I originally posted...only I used a non corrupted copy of the zip file and it worked this time. I also installed Chevys 1.1 Ghz low voltage kernel. The first time it booted I had no Baseband. That meant I had no radio. Which meant I had no 3G or 1x or phone. The rest of the phone was fine. Could OC to 1.1 Ghz. No internet or phone. So I rebooted and it got stuck on the Motorola logo. I reflashed to Adamz 1.1 Ghz low voltage kernel and it booted right up with my newest baseband and phone and internet now worked fine. In SetCPU I set the profile to slow it down to 600 when the battery reaches 112 degrees. So far I have not hit that temp but I am consistently running 102 to 108. I backed it down to 800 Mhz and installed JIT and it seems to be runing as snappy as it was when it was set to 1.1Ghz.

Do you think I should reinstall Adamz 250 to 800 kernel if I am just going to run it at 800 Mhz anyhow. I'm thinking I may want to bump it up for games, but I'm not much of a gamer. i use Space War just to see how fast and hot it will run (getting pretty good at Space War now...high score 7600 but I keep quitting before I kill myself).

I may try Chevys kernels again but I've been playing with this phone all day and the wife wants to go out and play in the non-virtual world so I am hanging it up for today.

Nate

8. c0Ld

c0Ld Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm been running Chevy's 1ghz kernel flawlessly for about a month now.