Can Someone Give Me Info On My Phone? (Alltel Milestone)

Tanknspank

Beta Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
Aiight!!

I'm getting great signal strength as of right now so i'll keep what i have.

Any kernel you recommend? Or will the sapphire roms kernel be ok?

Sapphire comes with a pretty bland kernel (800MH max) so i'd download a 1GHz max 125MHz min lv kernel. That works just fine for most people.

Sent from my Droid

Cool.

I'm stealing your setup!:icon_ banana:

Thanks for the help bro.

It's a good one :)

Drop by #cvpcs on freenode if you ever want some other sapphire nutts to talk too. Fun place :)

Sent from my Droid

manaox2

Reaction score
I thought the milestone had an encrypted bootloader like the droid x? So if he modifies the kernal with a rom now, it won't brick?

I know it has root cracked, but are you sure roms are ok? I may have missed the news.

EDIT: Ok, seems as long as the vulnerable recovery remains it can bot roms. Wish we could find something like that for the droid x.

sent via tapatalk

OP
Omega Blaze

Omega Blaze

Reaction score
I thought the milestone had an encrypted bootloader like the droid x? So if he modifies the kernal with a rom now, it won't brick?

I know it has root cracked, but are you sure roms are ok? I may have missed the news.

EDIT: Ok, seems as long as the vulnerable recovery remains it can bot roms. Wish we could find something like that for the droid x.

sent via tapatalk

I have no clue about whats going on bro..i thought i couldn't root it either..

but when i rooted it, it ask me: "Root Device: CDMA Motorola Droid"

So i assume it's a Regular Verizon Motorola Droid with a milestone name for alltel users.

What is a vulnerable recovery?(sorry for being a noob)

manaox2

Reaction score
When you used that update.zip to root in the guide you posted (I assume) you downgraded to an older vulnerable version of the recovery partition. You still have a milestone phone. The locked bootloader only accepts signed motorola images which is why you have to use the vulnerable recovery to flash. I just read about these details in the thread you posted with the guide so im assuming that's correct. Maybe you can find a forum with other milestone users experiences with roms. These days people like to call general skins roms which only modify the system folder a bit to basically apply a skin it seems and not apply a custom kernal like a real rom usually does. Be wary and research your capabilities. Always make a backup.

My droid x is rooted but can't modify the kernal unless done with complicated code injection. Every time I do an official upgrade, it blows a few efuses to generate a unique signature for the update to only allow me to use that version or newer. Now if I downgrade or use an unsigned bootloader, I expect to have a brick. As I understand it, the milestone was originally protected similarly. Still waiting for a vulnerability like the recovery one you have available to be discovered for it.

sent via tapatalk

OP
Omega Blaze

Omega Blaze

Reaction score

Oops I was reading that. Its confusing to have multiple phones that have the same name but different hardware based on carrier. As is firmware variations weren't enough.

Yep you should be fine with a droid.

sent via tapatalk

It's cool.

But hell yeah..i dont see why they took the same phone as the verizon droid and named it the overseas version?!

Tanknspank

Beta Team
Premium Member
Reaction score

Oops I was reading that. Its confusing to have multiple phones that have the same name but different hardware based on carrier. As is firmware variations weren't enough.

Yep you should be fine with a droid.

sent via tapatalk

It's cool.

But hell yeah..i dont see why they took the same phone as the verizon droid and named it the overseas version?!

Droid is a liscensed verizon name, and all other "droids" that aren't on vzw are called milestones, regardless of carrier.

Sent from my Droid

OP
Omega Blaze

Omega Blaze

Reaction score
Ahhh..receiving was fine= )

Sending I dunno..never tried it.

Should work though..

NebraskaX24

Reaction score

Should work though..

sounds good! Which way did you go about flashing your new roms and kernals? ROM Manager? Or did you do it through a plain old clockwork recovery or what?

I got my alltel milestone and rooted it already :)

OP
Omega Blaze

Omega Blaze

Reaction score

Should work though..

sounds good! Which way did you go about flashing your new roms and kernals? ROM Manager? Or did you do it through a plain old clockwork recovery or what?

I got my alltel milestone and rooted it already :)

I used Rom Manager to install the rom, but i downloaded the rom from off of this site.

I did the same thing for the kernel too.

I have Rom Manager Premium.

The recovery mode or Rom Manger, either method is good for installation.

Just make sure you wipe cache and wipe everything else b4 installing a new rom, UNLESS the rom developer tells you NOT to wipe.

Also, try and stick with kernels rom developers tell you to use.

dancedroid

NebraskaX24

Reaction score
Thing is a beast compared to my eris. 1ghz kernal on pink lemonade kangerade, it flies and I actually enjoy the keyboard kinda only problem is the dpad offsetting it so much. A huge step up from no keyboard lol. Just have to use nails for typing. Doesn't hurt to have shape writer apk left over still.
Extremely happy with the alltel milestone if you guys couldn't tell :)