Can someone explain the interaction of GMail and the GMail App

M

Matth3w

I'm trying to figure out exactly how the two applications interact. On my phone all emails are read. However, on the top bar it says Inbox (2). I hit manual refresh and the sync icon shows up but it still shows two. So I get on my pc and check the actual GMail and there are two unread messages that are marked as read on my phone. Yet otherwise I sync up fine. I doubt this is a technical issue (which is why I decided to put it in general chat) but rather my lack of understanding on the applications interactions.

Eventually I think it syncs up...also if I mark it read in the actual app it syncs up as read on my phone

lmapp

Reaction score
You have probably archived a message before reading it. It's pretty easy to do in landscape mode. Open the Gmail app. Menu > View labels. This will show all mail (inbox, archived...whatever). See if there is an unread message that was not in your inbox.

The inbox(2) that you are seeing means you have 2 unread messages that are not necessarily in your inbox.

Took me a while to figure that one out.

OP
M

Matth3w

I thought it might be something like that. The only other unread messages I found were spam, and there were three not two :(

OP
M

Matth3w

Ok, today I go in, it says I have two emails. I look, I only have one in my inbox. I read it, it gets marked read. Then I look at the labels because it says I still have Inbox: 1 Sync All. Yet all the emails in my inbox are read....

lmapp

Reaction score
Oops! I left out a pretty important step in my previous post. Instead of just "menu>view labels", you need to then select the label "All Mail", as in "menu>view labels>all mail". Then you should see the culprit. I don't think that syncing has anything to do with it.