Can someone explain the battery mode?

DroidXer

Reaction score
Specifically the data connection thing. Right now I am set on Smart Mode (I like the auto brightness) but I noticed that I could turn off the data connection after like 30 minutes or something. My question is, if I do that, what all does it shut off, and how does it get reactivated (like turning the phone on or what?)? So if it's turned off, I won't get emails I'm assuming...or will a push from the GMail server turn the data/phone back on? Texts I'm assuming are ok regardless..

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
I used the Smart Mode for a day and then Performance mode for a day and didn't notice a difference in battery life. You can use auto bright without useing smart mode if you like it, I keep my brightness all the way down most of the time. I didn't see the need to turn data off when using push, I don't get that many emails anyway. What I did notice killing my battery is at my house searching for 3g signal, I keep Wifi on at home and it uses less battery cause it has full signal.

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
I know I didn't really answer you question, so as far as the time out of data I still got emails during the "timeout" period not sure on txt though.

jetdoc

Reaction score
I used the Smart Mode for a day and then Performance mode for a day and didn't notice a difference in battery life. You can use auto bright without useing smart mode if you like it, I keep my brightness all the way down most of the time. I didn't see the need to turn data off when using push, I don't get that many emails anyway. What I did notice killing my battery is at my house searching for 3g signal, I keep Wifi on at home and it uses less battery cause it has full signal.

I agree, I live in the sticks and have a bad cell signal. I have Wifi however and when I was turning off Wifi to save battery I seemed to be using more batter...(searing for 3g).

My question is does the phone use the strongest singal, 3G vs Wifi, available..?

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
I think as long as there is a wifi connection it will use that first no matter how week it is, cause while at work it still uses the wifi here even though its usually 1 or 2 bars and cell is stronger.

OP
D

DroidXer

Reaction score
How are you getting emails if the data connection is turned off?

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Not sure all I know is when I woke up I had emails on my phone that had come in during the set outtage time.

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
I like having my email as soon as I can so I use performance mode. Try it both ways and see what you like.