Can Smart Actions be used to reboot the phone automatically?

Reaction score
This is not the case. First of all, from the time I touch the icon to the time my screen turns off is only 4 seconds for me. Even the first time I ran the app, it didn't take long. As soon as I launched it, I was asked for superuser permissions, and within a couple seconds of confirming it rebooted.

Secondly, I don't think the Power+Vol shutdown method can be invoked by software because that type of shutdown method is generally designed for cases in which the software stops responding or locks up. For example, probably any modern computer (as well as game consoles and other such electronics) can have a shutdown forced by an extended press of a power button in the case that the software of the machine fails for any reason.

Like I said, it was just a guess because my phone had a lengthy delay the first time and even in subsequent tests it takes at least 15 seconds.

As for the power and volume combination, I am quite sure this can easily be duplicated through programming. That may not be what the dev did but I am sure it is possible.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

rjlong21

Reaction score
unrooted restart/reboot app

q

Because the way I read your original message led me to believe you couldn't find any method that allowed a reboot with only a single touch. I did realize it didn't satisfy your ultimate objective but felt you might still appreciate and gain benefit from the suggested apps. Edit; and as the post below suggests perhaps someone else would also appreciate and benefit from it as well. Sorry if I created confusion.

There may still be some benefit for you by reading the description of one of the tools mentioned since the developer describes what command his app uses to effect the reboot.
Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

Do you know of any apps or widgets that will shutdown/restart with one touch for unrooted droid bionic? Had this feature on droid charge and miss it. Thanks

2THEXTRM

Reaction score
Do you know of any apps or widgets that will shutdown/restart with one touch for unrooted droid bionic? Had this feature on droid charge and miss it. Thanks

Quick Boot is supposed to be for rooted devices only, but it worked on my wifes Bionic before and after rooting. Maybe give that a try.

SallyC

Reaction score

I am not rooted and use Fast Reboot. One touch, no problems.

The Pro version ($1.49) allows scheduling of reboot or auto fast reboot when you unlock your phone from standby.

They say it "Simulates a reboot by closing/restarting all core and user processes and thus frees up memory. Your phone should be much snappier after using Fast Reboot."

Last edited:

droid2drummer

Silver Member
Reaction score
Wow rebooting your phone daily is actually in the documents for most phones. I remember reading it on the og DROID. I believed it was common knowledge. Anyway I guess since most people like in the unboxing videos, (which I've always thought was a bit goofy) they throw everything to the side and start playing with the phone. Me? I read. I don't turn the phone on before charging to 100% and this always causes issues when Verizon tries to program for you. They know better now when i go in for anything. Lol I'm still glad that your pointing out this healthy practice for devices. Good job:)

Simply Amazing ...
Essentially Stunning,
Motorola Droid Razr---->Minimum<-----:)
Tapped via Red Xparent Pro>:-!

Reaction score
I'm using Fast Reboot Pro ($1.49). Doesn't need Smart Actions OR rooting.

The reason Fast Reboot does not require root is because it does not actually reboot your phone. It just stimulates it by killing and refreshing apps.

Instant reboot is what i have been using since this thread started and it is great. You need root because it actually reboots your phone all the way but it can be used in conjunction with smart actions to schedule it for a specific time. And it is free.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Xparent Purple Tapatalk

marcelo

Reaction score
The reason Fast Reboot does not require root is because it does not actually reboot your phone. It just stimulates it by killing and refreshing apps.

Instant reboot is what i have been using since this thread started and it is great. You need root because it actually reboots your phone all the way but it can be used in conjunction with smart actions to schedule it for a specific time. And it is free.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Xparent Purple Tapatalk

Please educate me... what is the practical difference between an actual and simulated reboot? Thanks.

tvlovers

Reaction score
Working perfect on my RAZR

Please keep in mind that this thread was started by me asking if there is a way to reboot the phone automatically using the built in Smart Actions to schedule it. Since a reboot action isn't built in to Smart Actions, having it auto-launch a reboot app sounded like a good way to go. However, I could not find an app on the market that simply rebooted the device without any user interaction outside of launching it. There are widgets available that do this, but Smart Actions cannot launch widgets.

I decided to download the Android SDK and try making the app myself, but was unsuccessful. Since I have a buddy who is an Android developer, I asked him to give it a try when he had time. I figured something so simple would only take a few lines of code. Regardless, he had a lot of difficulty and frustration with it. Once he had a "beta" for me to test, I tried it out and it worked perfectly. Even though it worked for me, it didn't work for him, which frustrated him as well.

However, the app was custom made for me specifically. In fact, it was even named after me! It was me who told him to put the app on the market AND it was me who suggested he charge a little bit for it. Since it's the only one of its kind (as far as I was able to tell), it might be worth paying a small amount for.

Now to the point. The app was custom made for me, and it does everything I need it to do. It isn't meant to be a popular app that can make lots of money through sales, but I figured he might as well put it on there for a buck. Figured if he makes a few dollars, great. If not, no big deal.:happy3:

tygerchylde

Reaction score
Works awesomely. I can now set tasker to reboot my phone while I sleep every day. Awesome! Thanks for telling us about the app! Hope your dev friend makes a little bit of money, too.