Can Smart Actions be used to reboot the phone automatically?

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I restart my phone every morning to keep it running lag free. Would be real timesaver to have it restart same time every morning just before I get up.

I say convince him to put this app on the market;)

Sent from my VTAB1008 using DroidForums

+1 for that app. I mean, it can't be more than a few lines of code, right? Well that's something that should be out there for the masses.

OP
V
Reaction score
It's on the market now. It's called Instant Reboot, by Lanier Studios. You'll also find that I was credited in the description.

2THEXTRM

Reaction score
I assume this app has scheduling built in, can't tell with the screenshots. If it came with a 1x1 widget with transparent background like Juice Defender I would be all in for the. 99 cents!

OP
V
Reaction score
I assume this app has scheduling built in, can't tell with the screenshots. If it came with a 1x1 widget with transparent background like Juice Defender I would be all in for the. 99 cents!

The app has nothing built in but the ability to reboot your phone. Also, there's no need for a widget because you can just put the icon on your home screen and it will work the same. As far as a transparent icon... meh.

Also, there are no screenshots of the actual app itself because there is nothing to see. As soon as you launch the app, it just reboots the phone. There are no buttons or anything to take a screenshot of. Well, not entirely true. When you launch the app, it does display something like "Rebooting your device..." for a short moment... but that's it.

2THEXTRM

Reaction score
Alright, this thread was started on the premise of automatic phone rebooting, there is already basic apps in the market that shutdown, reboot, reboot to recovery and reboot to bootloader all in one app but none that I can find that do it all with a widget and scheduling of events(shutdown or reboot). As the current app stands, it should be a "lite" version for free with so many others already available but I understand he does have his time and effort in developing it so thats cool.

I would have to believe an app with all these features I mentioned would be a wecomed payed app. I need to continue practicing my app development and get with the program I guess to make apps geared towards my needs and stop waiting for others to do my job for me lol:D

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Alright, this thread was started on the premise of automatic phone rebooting, there is already basic apps in the market that shutdown, reboot, reboot to recovery and reboot to bootloader all in one app but none that I can find that do it all with a widget and scheduling of events(shutdown or reboot). As the current app stands, it should be a "lite" version for free with so many others already available but I understand he does have his time and effort in developing it so thats cool.

I would have to believe an app with all these features I mentioned would be a wecomed payed app. I need to continue practicing my app development and get with the program I guess to make apps geared towards my needs and stop waiting for others to do my job for me lol:D

I agree about a lite version, but since that was all that was asked for, charging for it if there is to be no additional development is understandable. What I want to see however is a version that can do it without root for the masses.

As SallyC discovered (see below), a daily reboot is actually recommended by Motorola, so why not make it an option via Smart Actions for everyone?

I actually reboot my phone once a day whether it needs it or not. I found it interesting that Motorola actually recommends this. http://www.motorola.com/hc/2769/verizon/rss/tips/en-US/d0e947b.2769.en-US.html

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

Last edited:
OP
V
Reaction score
Please keep in mind that this thread was started by me asking if there is a way to reboot the phone automatically using the built in Smart Actions to schedule it. Since a reboot action isn't built in to Smart Actions, having it auto-launch a reboot app sounded like a good way to go. However, I could not find an app on the market that simply rebooted the device without any user interaction outside of launching it. There are widgets available that do this, but Smart Actions cannot launch widgets.

I decided to download the Android SDK and try making the app myself, but was unsuccessful. Since I have a buddy who is an Android developer, I asked him to give it a try when he had time. I figured something so simple would only take a few lines of code. Regardless, he had a lot of difficulty and frustration with it. Once he had a "beta" for me to test, I tried it out and it worked perfectly. Even though it worked for me, it didn't work for him, which frustrated him as well.

However, the app was custom made for me specifically. In fact, it was even named after me! It was me who told him to put the app on the market AND it was me who suggested he charge a little bit for it. Since it's the only one of its kind (as far as I was able to tell), it might be worth paying a small amount for.

Now to the point. The app was custom made for me, and it does everything I need it to do. It isn't meant to be a popular app that can make lots of money through sales, but I figured he might as well put it on there for a buck. Figured if he makes a few dollars, great. If not, no big deal.:happy3:

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Please keep in mind that this thread was started by me asking if there is a way to reboot the phone automatically using the built in Smart Actions to schedule it. Since a reboot action isn't built in to Smart Actions, having it auto-launch a reboot app sounded like a good way to go. However, I could not find an app on the market that simply rebooted the device without any user interaction outside of launching it. There are widgets available that do this, but Smart Actions cannot launch widgets.

I decided to download the Android SDK and try making the app myself, but was unsuccessful. Since I have a buddy who is an Android developer, I asked him to give it a try when he had time. I figured something so simple would only take a few lines of code. Regardless, he had a lot of difficulty and frustration with it. Once he had a "beta" for me to test, I tried it out and it worked perfectly. Even though it worked for me, it didn't work for him, which frustrated him as well.

However, the app was custom made for me specifically. In fact, it was even named after me! It was me who told him to put the app on the market AND it was me who suggested he charge a little bit for it. Since it's the only one of its kind (as far as I was able to tell), it might be worth paying a small amount for.

Now to the point. The app was custom made for me, and it does everything I need it to do. It isn't meant to be a popular app that can make lots of money through sales, but I figured he might as well put it on there for a buck. Figured if he makes a few dollars, great. If not, no big deal.:happy3:

I don't think anyone was trying to dis the Dev for what he's done. This is an open forum and as such, if you make public announcements or release an app on the market be ready to have it critiqued. No app is perfect for everyone and every purpose but the beauty of such an open access development environment is that we all learn from each other and small ideas are nurtured and enhanced by others into powerful tools that we can all benefit from.

Reaction score

Just purchased and downloaded from the market and tested it out. Works perfectly! Awesome idea from you and great work from the dev.

I am not sure why anyone would have an issue with the icon though because you do not need to pot out on the bone screen. It just sits in your app drawer out of the way but your summary actions still accesses it and does the reboot for you. You can forget you even have it installed.

Thanks again!

2THEXTRM

Reaction score
Well said FoxKat, i am not here to diminsh anyones efforts to make our life easier or more entertaining with new or better apps. To the contrary, i have beta tested several apps without regard for my phones health lol.

I commend those who use their time for our benefit and welcome the opportunity to hear about any new or hidden gem apps that we can check out!

SANhacker

Reaction score
For some reason I can not get "Instant Reboot" to work. When I launch the app it presents a pop-up window stating "rebooting your device", after a couple of seconds it goes away and displays one line at the top of the screen that says "Instant Reboot". I can pull down notifications, hit the back button and continue to use the phone normally. Any ideas ?

OP
V
Reaction score
For some reason I can not get "Instant Reboot" to work. When I launch the app it presents a pop-up window stating "rebooting your device", after a couple of seconds it goes away and displays one line at the top of the screen that says "Instant Reboot". I can pull down notifications, hit the back button and continue to use the phone normally. Any ideas ?
My friend (the developer) said it won't even work on HIS device, which is why I had to test it for him. I'm not sure what the issue is. Of course, I'm sure you already know that it does require root.

You should contact him to see if maybe he can work with you so you can get it working. At the very least, if he can't get it working, he could start a list of devices it doesn't work with so that users will know before they try it. I'm also confident he'll return your money if the app won't work.

Reaction score

Just to clarify (not to insult your intelligence) but your phone must be rooted for it to work. The first time I used it, I got that black screen that you mentioned with just the "instant reboot" title at the top, it took a while for the super user permissions to go through but after a couple of minutes the phone rebooted. After the first use, subsequent uses are much quicker. Basically, you just have to be patient and let the app do its thing. If I just wanted to do a reboot manually, I would not use this app because there is a delay. However, the purpose of the app was to be used in conjunction with smart actions. So if you set up a smart action to run the app at 0500, the delay will not matter to you because it will reboot while you are sleeping.

I can not speak on behalf of the dev but my best guess of why there is a delay is because the app simply mocks the actions of someone doing a forced reboot using the power and volume down. As we know that button combo has to be held for something like 10 - 15 seconds so I assume that is why the app has a delay.

Last edited:

SANhacker

Reaction score
Doh! No I didn't realize I had to be rooted. I guess there is no point in contacting the developer. :p Thanks to you both.

OP
V
Reaction score
I can not speak on behalf of the dev but my best guess of why there is a delay is because the app simply mocks the actions of someone doing a forced reboot using the power and volume down. As we know that button combo has to be held for something like 10 - 15 seconds so I assume that is why the app has a delay.
This is not the case. First of all, from the time I touch the icon to the time my screen turns off is only 4 seconds for me. Even the first time I ran the app, it didn't take long. As soon as I launched it, I was asked for superuser permissions, and within a couple seconds of confirming it rebooted.

Secondly, I don't think the Power+Vol shutdown method can be invoked by software because that type of shutdown method is generally designed for cases in which the software stops responding or locks up. For example, probably any modern computer (as well as game consoles and other such electronics) can have a shutdown forced by an extended press of a power button in the case that the software of the machine fails for any reason.