Can police bypass your lock on your Android phone?

JRParsons

Reaction score
Criminal law is almost always governed on the state level.
Although search and seizure is a constitutional issue, it is usually interpreted by state courts.
It is easy to debate this behind a desk or in a court room, but one thing I've learned over the years is that one of the worst things you can do when confronted by a cop is tell him he can't do something. If you have nothing to hide, your night will go a lot smoother if you just shut up and speak when spoken to. I can almost guarantee that you will loose any constitutional debate on the side of the road at 2am, and there is a real good chance that in his report you will have consented to the search. (I'm not a cop)

Sent from my Illudium PU - 36 Explosive Space Modulator.

garrett

Silver Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
from what i have seen this can vary from state to state but i do know in the state of Florida if you get arrested anything you have in your possession or have control of can and will be searched.

and it looks like the state of michigan already searches cellphones on routine traffic stops..

According to an American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) letter to the director of the Michigan State Police on April 13, that department has several forensic cellphone analyzers deployed in the field. Forensic analyzers are routinely used in police investigations to recover data from computers and other digital devices. Lately, cellphones have become valuable sources of evidence for police, since one phone can include almost all of an individual's private communications (SMS, recently dialed numbers, email, Facebook and Twitter posts) as well as location data from the device's GPS unit. The device used by the Michigan State Police is a portable forensic system called the Cellebrite UFED that can suck data from a variety of devices, including multiple Android phones and Apple iOS devices such as the iPhone and iPad. The company did not immediately return phone calls, but according to Cellebrite's product description, the UFED can grab email, Web bookmarks, Web history, SIM data, cookies, notes, MMS, instant messages, Bluetooth devices, locations, journeys, GPS fixes, call logs, text messages, contacts and more.

Last edited:

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Criminal law is almost always governed on the state level.
Although search and seizure is a constitutional issue, it is usually interpreted by state courts.
It is easy to debate this behind a desk or in a court room, but one thing I've learned over the years is that one of the worst things you can do when confronted by a cop is tell him he can't do something. If you have nothing to hide, your night will go a lot smoother if you just shut up and speak when spoken to. I can almost guarantee that you will loose any constitutional debate on the side of the road at 2am, and there is a real good chance that in his report you will have consented to the search. (I'm not a cop)

Sent from my Illudium PU - 36 Explosive Space Modulator.

JP, all true. The problem is that what you might have on your phone, which you believe in your deepest sense of mind as being completely legal and docile may in fact have a thread that leads to something not so tame. All too often, people do things which are considered illegal in the literal sense of the law, but since nobody (read big brother) is looking over their shoulders constantly (*or strip-searching their phones*), they never think twice about it. How many of those videos have you seen on Youtube, TV, etc. showing people in incriminating situations and they're videoing it without thinking twice.

As nyteshayd said, "If you are dumb enough to discuss illegal activity or...even better...take pictures or videos of it on your phone, you aren't smart enough to avoid jail time anyways. " Well, I'm here to tell you there are plenty who are "dumb enough" to do such self-incrimination for the sole pleasure of being able to watch themselves again, not realizing it could be used against them in a court of law. It doesn't take much mental "brilliance" to press the record button, but definitely takes a certain amount more to know when not to. So the real question is, if a crime is committed in the woods and nobody is there to hear it, has a crime really been committed? If you're carrying a cell phone and video tape it, the answer is "beyond a shadow of a doubt" YES!

Edit: And let's clarify for all...I am not condoning in any sense of the word any illegal activity. The fact remains, crossing the street diagonally is illegal, but whether you're being prosecuted for it could come down to a scan of your phone. I am simply speaking out for our rights as written in (insert the name of your specific document of laws, i.e. Bill of Rights, which protect you in your specific domicile here).

[FONT=arial,helvetica][SIZE=+1]Right of search and seizure regulated [/SIZE][/FONT]

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

Last edited:

alucard9114

Reaction score
I live in san diego where 90% of the police are corrupt and this concerns me greatly a phone has information as simple as emails.In san diego there has been cases of police using blackmail tactics to get sex out of innocent victims this could be another tool for them to use.:happy3:

OP
R
Reaction score
So there's zero defense against this type of cellebrite machine?

Is android encryption even effective if anyone can plug your phone to their desktop/laptop and view your sd card, internal phone data, music, pictures, videos, everything?

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

MrSmith317

Premium Member
Reaction score
Yes it is effective. Encrypt your SD's and at least give someone a headache about trying to access your info without the key. It would get broken eventually but at least someone wouldn't be able to unlock / factory reset your phone and have access to your info.

OP
R
Reaction score
Yes it is effective. Encrypt your SD's and at least give someone a headache about trying to access your info without the key. It would get broken eventually but at least someone wouldn't be able to unlock / factory reset your phone and have access to your info.

My droid 2, and my droid 3, are both using android encryption for the phone and SD cards. My computer opened up their contents just fine though. There's no way for my phone to recognize "oh, this is marks computer". Android encryption does not appear to work.

And also, with the correct encryption and sufficient password length, you can ensure it won't be decrypted within your lifetime.

Reaction score
I can say this with confidence. Yes, the Police can. And will IF there is probable cause. Or your phone will be part of an investigation. Your phone is a mini computer (and by definition, even an anolog clock is a "computer." ) you can put lock on you computer, but the Police and FBI have very talented people who can cut through it like butter. So it will not be any problem for them. And the phone will store info similar to your PC.

Just keep your nose clean and you won't have any problems. I am not saying you or the person who wrote that in the link have done anything in the past. Just what I have learned in my many years working the streets that indicates to me that if you asked a question like that, you do/have done things that provoked the question - or that you're thinking about it. Just be good, and no one will ever have reason to see your contents. :D

*Edited

Irony. It's what's for dinner.

Last edited:
OP
R
Reaction score
I can say this with confidence. Yes, the Police can. And will IF there is proba lt cause. Or your phone will be part of an investigation. Your phone is a mini computer (and by definition, even an anolog clock is a "computer." ) you can put lock on you computer, but the Police and FBI have very talented people who can cut through it like butter. So it will not be any problem for them. And the phone will store info similar to your PC.

Just keep your nose clean and you won't have any problems. I am not saying you or the person who wrote that in the link have done anything in the past. Just what I have learned in my many years working the streets that indicates to me that if you asked a question like that, you do/have done things that provoked the question - or that you're thinking about it. Just be good, and no one will ever have reason to see your contents. :D

*Edited

You make it sound so easy. The police, fbi, cia, etc; they are not god. As far as simply putting a 4 digit lock screen on your phone, that can be cracked with brute force extremely quickly. Certainly not more than a few minutes/hours.

But throw a good encryption on that device, and even the NSA wouldn't be able to crack it within your lifetime.

The problem here though, is that apparently law enforcement has a device that can bypass your lockscreen and access all the files in the phone. And not only that, but even if you encrypt your phone with the built in android encryption, it doesn't even work at all. All your files are easily accessed via any desktop computer. So what's up with android encryption being complete garbage?

alucard9114

Reaction score
I can say this with confidence. Yes, the Police can. And will IF there is proba lt cause. Or your phone will be part of an investigation. Your phone is a mini computer (and by definition, even an anolog clock is a "computer." ) you can put lock on you computer, but the Police and FBI have very talented people who can cut through it like butter. So it will not be any problem for them. And the phone will store info similar to your PC.

*Edited

I would have agreed with you 10 years ago but now no_Our civil rights are being attacked on a daily basis and police are being trained to think that everyone is a criminal.

ambrown

Reaction score
Apparently they actually can't just break into your phone, especially when it's locked with a pattern lock. Read this enlightening article about how the police can't crack the pattern lock of an "alleged" pimp. This actually makes me glad I use a pretty good pattern thats secure and easy to remember on my lock screen. Security minded Android fans rejoice!

http://wired.com/threatlevel/2012/0...=socialmedia&utm_campaign=googleplusclickthru

Update: the Wired article was about the CellXtract and not the Cellbright UFED that was in the OP's original article; however, they are similar technologies and the original article didn't mention anything about the Cellbright UFED being able to defeat the lockscreen.

Also, it's the FBI, not the regular police that are doing the phone hacking. And I want to be clear that I'm not happy that they are being hindered in catching a criminal, but that it's good news for honest citizens who worry about their rights and privacy being invaded.

Sent from my Droid Incredible on 2.3.4 using the DroidForums app

Last edited:
Reaction score
I would have agreed with you 10 years ago but now no_Our civil rights are being attacked on a daily basis and police are being trained to think that everyone is a criminal.

What up, alucard! Good to see you still around. I agree with you. But I take it with a grain of salt. I agree with you about everyone being tought of as a "criminal." And I was one of the biggest supporters when Google was and Wiki and many others were protesting. I thi k it was PIPA/SOPA or something like that.

But at anyrate, that's why I put that in my other post about probable cause. That is still the key. At least untill another 10 or so years pass and they do away with that too... (and speaking of which, I see I mispelled probable case in my other post. I must change it now.) Maybe I should have been more clear on what I meant there. For the nudge there.

QUOTE=markml0528;2052317]You make it sound so easy. The police, fbi, cia, etc; they are not god. As far as simply putting a 4 digit lock screen on your phone, that can be cracked with brute force extremely quickly. Certainly not more than a few minutes/hours.

But throw a good encryption on that device, and even the NSA wouldn't be able to crack it within your lifetime.

The problem here though, is that apparently law enforcement has a device that can bypass your lockscreen and access all the files in the phone. And not only that, but even if you encrypt your phone with the built in android encryption, it doesn't even work at all. All your files are easily accessed via any desktop computer. So what's up with android encryption being complete garbage?

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums[/QUOTE]

My "butter" statement was some bad verbage. I didn't meant for it to sound likenit was real.easy. just that it can be done with the highly trained spefialists they have. Didn't mean for the confusion there. But, I never said they were God. Show me where I said that. I was mentioning if you kept your nose clean and such. Sounds like you have some bugers to take care of...

But tell me this, when people have sophisticated locks on even their PC's, they can still get in to see all the stuff you were searching for. Just ask Casey Anthony (how she was found inocent is beyond me. But anyways... )

And I neger said Android is complete garbage. Again, show me where I said that, genius. Nowhere did I say that. What I did say was comparing the two as computers, which they are. One happens to be smaller than the other. When you said, "...apparently law enforcement has a device that can bypass your lockscreen and access all the files in the phone. And not only that, but even if you encrypt your phone with the built in android encryption, it doesn't even work at all. All your files are easily accessed via any desktop computer. So what's up with android encryption being complete garbage," that is exactly what I was saying. So stop reading what you want to read and start reading what is actually there. Reread it. This mentality is one of the reasons wrong with society these days and why everyone is suing everyone for stupid meaningless reasons. I am not bashing anyone. If I am bashing anyone, it is those who have something to hide. What is it that you have to hide? I have seen this type of reaction on the streets when the patient is asked if they have taken any medications even recreational ones. We ask so we know what to do for treatment and what not to do because some reactions can be deadly. We don't ask to get you in trouble. We ask so we can do our job and donour best to save your life. Instead, we get your type of reaction and attitude. I'm done talking to you, mark. Have a great day.

Apparently they actually can't just break into your phone, especially when it's locked with a pattern lock. Read this enlightening article about how the police can't crack the pattern lock of an "alleged" pimp. This actually makes me glad I use a pretty good pattern thats secure and easy to remember on my lock screen. Security minded Android fans rejoice!

http://wired.com/threatlevel/2012/0...=socialmedia&utm_campaign=googleplusclickthru

Update: the Wired article was about the CellXtract and not the Cellbright UFED that was in the OP's original article; however, they are similar technologies and the original article didn't mention anything about the Cellbright UFED being able to defeat the lockscreen.

Also, it's the FBI, not the regular police that are doing the phone hacking. And I want to be clear that I'm not happy that they are being hindered in catching a criminal, but that it's good news for honest citizens who worry about their rights and privacy being invaded.

Sent from my Droid Incredible on 2.3.4 using the DroidForums app

That is great info. Thanx, ambrown! I will have to quit using the pin code and go to the pattern lock. Outstanding info, and thank you again.

Last edited:

ambrown

Reaction score

Dean H

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
HTC One M7
I know this is an older post, but it showed up at the top of my google search.

I don't get it, with most of you... I have to put my code in to get my phone to show up on my computer. Yes, it is encrypted and it is more than four numbers, it also has a limit, you type it in wrong a certain number of times, it wipes the data. Type the password wrong 5 times and you have to wait a minute to try again.

And if you have any kind of anti malware installed, that has remote wipe, you can wipe the data yourself from another phone or computer.

I have nothing to hide either but I welcome LE to try and access my phone, they will fail. I also use two step authentication for email and other apps. Some apps require a pin that changes every 30 seconds.

I work in I.T. Security and secure my phone, computer and other devices to protect my customers and my customer's data as required by my employer.

I wonder if a judge would allow the search of my phone being that not only do I have my info there, but info from my customers.