Can not restore from ClockWork Recovery

drod34

Reaction score
I'm new to this so I'm not sure if I did something wrong. Yesterday I rooted my phone and that all went well. I followed all the instructions posted here and everything went smooth. I downloaded bootstrap and titanium backup. I made a nandroid backup. then I backed up all my apps with titanium back up. I wanted to try to install a rom but was concerned about being able to get my phone back to the way it was if something went wrong. One of the post suggested making a change on your homepage such as deleting the clock and then doing a restore to make sure everything went well. I tried this and during the restore it would stop at com.handcent.nextsms I let it sit there for hours and nothing. Pulled the battery and it booted up but was not the restored version. It looked like a factory reset. Had to go thru the whole android startup. Then if i power down and restart it goes straight to clockWork recovery. Just trying to get it back to where it was can someone help? Also I am running on latest updates. .340

jsw6380a

Reaction score
I'm new to this so I'm not sure if I did something wrong. Yesterday I rooted my phone and that all went well. I followed all the instructions posted here and everything went smooth. I downloaded bootstrap and titanium backup. I made a nandroid backup. then I backed up all my apps with titanium back up. I wanted to try to install a rom but was concerned about being able to get my phone back to the way it was if something went wrong. One of the post suggested making a change on your homepage such as deleting the clock and then doing a restore to make sure everything went well. I tried this and during the restore it would stop at com.handcent.nextsms I let it sit there for hours and nothing. Pulled the battery and it booted up but was not the restored version. It looked like a factory reset. Had to go thru the whole android startup. Then if i power down and restart it goes straight to clockWork recovery. Just trying to get it back to where it was can someone help? Also I am running on latest updates. .340

You are getting hung up on restoring the stock Nandroid backup correct? Let me know.. I might be able to help from there. dancedroid

jsw6380a

Reaction score
If I am reading what you are writing correctly and you still have your nandroid backup. From clockwork wipe data/factory reset and wipe cache. After that try and install your stock nandroid backup and let me know what happens. I had a similar occurence a couple days back

OP
D

drod34

Reaction score
Yes, Its a stock nandroid. The only thing I did to the phone was root it and download a couple of root apps such as wifi teather and titanium backup. I tried your suggestion of wipe data/factory reset and then wipe cache. After that I tried to reinstall my backup and it did the same thing. It starts to install and everything looks great for about five minutes then it just stops and last two lines read,
"Restoring data...
com.hancent.nextsms"

It just hangs there. I let it sit like that overnight and still nothing.

jsw6380a

Reaction score
Can you gain access to your files via USB to a computer?

OP
D

drod34

Reaction score
yes I can get to my files via my computer.

OP
D

drod34

Reaction score
I opened Clockworkmod and then I opened backup and it contains another folder that says 2011-0-05.19.45.43 In that folder are 5 files.
.android_secure.img
cache.img
data.img
nondroid.md5
system.img

jsw6380a

Reaction score
The only other thing I can think of is to remove the handaccent portion of the backup and try again. I have heard of it being done but I have never tried it. Unfortunately unless that works you might have to SBF back to stock and start over. Something is corrupt in that handaccent making it stick .

OP
D

drod34

Reaction score
I also noticed that in the root directory of my flash disk there are 5 files that I think might be part of the problem.
com.handcent.nextsms-3.3.2.stack
com.handcent.nextsms-3.4.1.stack
com.handcent.nextsms-3.4.3.stack
com.handcent.nextsms-3.4.5.stack
handcent

Don't know if this is any help. Just grasping at straws here.

jsw6380a

Reaction score
Its probably a skin or theme of some sort. I would get rid of them all and try it again. You can always get it back