Can not delete Amazon MP3 Store

za3smith

Reaction score
Thanks for pre-installing a stupid Amazon mp3 Store app on my phone that can not be deleted and it starts itself back up running in the background every couple of hours for NO REASON AT ALL.

How do I delete this Amazon MP3 Store App? Is it impossible? I'm sick of it running in the background draining my battery. Only idiots spend $1 dollar on one single song.

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
The only way to delete system/apps is to gain Root Access of your device

ChugIt

Reaction score
Well first it is stored in memory and not draining your battery one bit. The Android OS does not work like Windows does. The apps listed in task killers (unnecessary apps) are just showing you the apps stored in memory, not the apps draining your battery. The only way to remove stock OS embedded apps is to root and use a script (usually a UI in most ROMs) to remove them. There is another way but it involves digging into the OS through Root Explorer (still need rooted), but the first way is easier unless you know exactly what you're doing.

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Ditto what Chug said. The app is not "running" in a Windows sort of way. It is simply stored there waiting to be used. It does not require any battery power to keep it in memory. It uses no cpu cycles while stored in memory. And the android system will remove it, or almost anything else, if the memory is needed for something you have requested. Empty memory, in the android system, is not a good thing.

OP
Z

za3smith

Reaction score
Ditto what Chug said. The app is not "running" in a Windows sort of way. It is simply stored there waiting to be used. It does not require any battery power to keep it in memory. It uses no cpu cycles while stored in memory. And the android system will remove it, or almost anything else, if the memory is needed for something you have requested. Empty memory, in the android system, is not a good thing.

Why is empty memory a bad thing in the android system?

LifeIsABeach

Reaction score

Why is empty memory a bad thing in the android system?

It is not really a bad thing, it is just not a good thing as it is with other operating systems. Unused memory is wasted memory.

Last edited:

ColdSteele

Reaction score
i recently rooted and am running ultimate droid 6.00 RC2- in the setting it has a section that looks to allow you to remove some apps, but it doesnt seem to be working

Axium

Reaction score
if you're still rooted... you can download a file explorer program (root explorer, astro, etc) and go to the root, then system, then i think it goes to apps folder, and in there you can delete it, or if you just rename the .apk to something like .apk1 or .bak in case you'll ever want to use it, if it's not .apk it won't be detected as an app, just wasting space. but you'll probably just want to remove it lol.

ColdSteele

Reaction score
im still rooted, using astro- i fing the Mms stock messaging client and try to both delete and rename- get error...

Axium

Reaction score
don't delete the stock MMS apk, as you'll need it to send/recieve texts. handcent/etc relies on it. but if you can't delete/rename make sure the file system is set to read/write and not read only..

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
if you're still rooted... you can download a file explorer program (root explorer, astro, etc).

Root Explorer is the best, well worth the $3.99 it costs to be able to access all of your Android System

chimchim1959

Reaction score
Wow.... and I am supposed to be happier with a Droid versus the iPhone. This is just another example of why the Motorola and Verizon should be taken to court over this.

I have at least two applications I am forced to accept as installed and over which I cannot have any control, which launch upon startup of the phone (The notion that 0 CPU cycles are used by the application in the background makes me wonder well then how the hell does it know how to start when called.... where is the hook. Some code somewhere scans for something that it would not scan for unless Amazon MP3 was loaded so it uses some CPU cycles, yes even in the background, there is no doubt at all on that).

Amazon MP3 always starts and always populates data. This application shows as a service that has access to my System tools (It can turn on my wifi and prevent my phone from sleeping) it has access to storage, It can access the internet, and it can UNIQUELY identify my phone (and thus ME) all without my permission. Now lets examine another application I can't get rid of, Skype, it has access to my location, my network, my personal information, services that cost me money, my phone calls and again other services.

I was under the impression the main reason to go with Droid was the level of control afforded over exactly this sort of thing. This is just Motorola attempting to lock us into their line of products and services through uninstallable software. Add to that the fact that a "rooted" phone can get you dropped from the Verizon service with absolutely no compensation since you went against their will and voided your warranty.

The saddest thing of all is that I purchased a phone; this works poorly as a phone, it takes forever to "wake up" I assume because it is so busy multi tasking that it forgets that the main thing most want is to be able to dial a phone number, I experience frequent and prolonged delays. It takes about 10 seconds or more per number entry when dialing on an "instant" wake up.