Can not boot phone

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by dalegg, Feb 7, 2010.

1. dalegg

dalegg Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I just installed the Sholesmod Updater and can not get past the Motorola Logo start-up screen. I have tried to restore the phone and have reinstalled the updater but I always get the same thing, it hangs on the boot screen.
    Anyone have any ideas to get my phone back?

2. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +8
    Are you pressing the volume key and the clock key at the same time when the Triangle screen comes up?

3. dalegg

dalegg Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I start the phone by doing a battery pull and then press the power on key and the X key. I get an Android system recovery screen that has:
    Reboot system now
    wipe data/factory reset
    wipe cache partition
    mount options
    backup/restore
    install

I have tried backup/restore and install but they both hang on the Motorola Logo boot screen. What would happen if I did the wipe date/factory reset?
    I don't get a triangle screen.

4. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +8

A wipe factory reset would remove your data. All your personal items would be gone.

I'd rather somebody who knows a bit more about this then myself answer your questions. I didn't run into any of these problems using the Sholes Updater at all. It worked just like when I first installed Sholes.

5. wil318466

wil318466 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm not the expert here. But, *if you have a nandroid backup*, you can do a factory reset, root your phone again, install SPrecovery again, then reinstall the nandroid backup. this doesn't take as long as you think, about 20 minutes.

Its just an option I'm throwing out there, if you can't get past the boot screen something is wrong.

-Wil

6. thebowers

thebowers Premium Member
    Theme Developer Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1
    If you do a factory reset, the only thing you will lose is data (txt, home settings). You will still have root and your apps will regenerate if you are using a gmail account. I would suggest doing this and then do a advanced nandroid backup before trying again.

7. jrummy16

jrummy16 Premium Member
    Theme Developer Premium Member Developer

Ratings:
    +0
    This happened to me last night. Same problem. I had a back up so I applied the back up and it worked. Check out my thread below yours (I think I bricked my phone! Please Help! I am obviously a noob so I hope this helped.

8. brianr0131

brianr0131 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Same thing happened to me with all the 2.x Sholes ROMS through updater or otherwise. I made several posts on alldroid ans sholes.info and no one helped. There must be a program we have or something that is causing the problem. Because 99% of the people have had success.

Anyway, I moved to Bugless Beast without looking back. Recently sholes released 2.0.3 ao I gave that a whirl last night and suffered the same consequences. The only thing I haven't tried is unrooting through the SMU and then going up to 2.0.3 but it just seems like a lot of work.

Maybe they'll actually figure this out some day. I wish someone with our issue lived near one of them so they could try to figure it out. I was a big fan of sholes rom prior to this.

Like someone else mentioned all you have to do is install a nandroid backup prior to your reboots. It should be the earliest date code of your "preinstall" backups. That should get you back in business.

Search tags for this page

phone cannot boot