Can no longer get into a recovery mode

Discussion in 'Bugless' started by covert7, Apr 3, 2011.

1. covert7

covert7 New Member

Got a weird one here. So a few months back someone let me on to the fact that I could get BB on my Cellular South Milestone and so I've been happily running 6.2.1 just fine since then.

Well recently I got the itch to maybe try some of the Gingerbread builds Peter has been putting together. So in getting ready to do this, I wanted to backup my current rom settings. But now I can't get into any type of recovery mode!

I have ROM Manger on the device and when I try the default "Backup ROM" that just reboots to the logo and stays there till I pop the battery. If I tell it to boot into Recovery mode I get the same thing. I try flashing over to SPRecovery but get an error when attempting that. (I've made sure I'm using the latest ROM Manger;uninstalled-reinstalled).

So then I decided to try and do the default Motorola boot menu boot up by holding down the "X" key when powering up. Same thing, just the logo and nothing else.

I'm not sure what's going on. I for sure did a nandroid backup before flashing from stock to BB some months ago but I have no idea why I can't do this now.

Any thoughts from the experts out here would be super appreciated!
  2. mwhartman

mwhartman Super Moderator/RS Premium Member

It sounds like your recovery was lost. Check your SD card and make sure the Nandroid folder is still there with a recovery image. If you have the latest version of RM try flashing an older version of CW then SPR.
  3. OdinvsLoki

OdinvsLoki New Member

I'm experiencing the same issue. I just rooted my Droid 1 and installed RM and was trying to back up my original ROM (FROYO 2.2.2) but nothing. Wouldn't back up, wouldn't flash any rom, would shutdown and get to the moto logo and then reboot again, to the moto logo and then into OS. With no changes made, not backup created, and no recovery alternative available. Is this something isolated to RM?

Rooted D1
    RM 4.2.0.1
    Titanium backup
    No custom roms... yet!
  4. smmfc

smmfc New Member

I had the same problem once... download the zip file for rz recovery and go into rom manager. Fix permissions and reboot manually into recovery. If it reboots on its own while in recovery slide the phone open before it starts. Hold x and let it start and it'll kick you back into recovery and you should be able to flash rz recovery and you shouldn't have another problem. I haven't had any issues since switching to rz

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums
  5. raidzero

raidzero n00b. Theme Developer Premium Member Developer

:D

6. OdinvsLoki

OdinvsLoki New Member

I downloaded rz recovery (and transferred into root file directory since i only have Ethernet connection on a locked windows box with no wifi or bluetooth devices). Ran Fix Permissions from within Rom Manager was prompted that a restart is needed, but still only came to the Moto sign and hold, restarted, Moto sign then into OS. No changes made, and no recovery image available.

Went a step further and tried flashing RZ recovery image with Terminal Emulator, could not get to be found even after verifying that the .img file was fresh and present in root directory. Also tried flashing CWM recovery image, but file could not be found. Its as though the directory where the recovery file should be is either not there or protected and cant be overwritten. This has really stumped me for a week now, if I keep all this searching up I might actually start knowing what I'm doing and talking about. Any more suggestions please, I have 30 days to play with this, but would rather spend it trying out roms.
  7. smmfc

smmfc New Member

R you able to set up your computor to sbf? If you can you can install rz that way and a rooted version of 2.2.# and update from there. You may be at the point you might have to do a sbf file. Down side is you have to reactivate and lose everything on your phone shy of contacts and SD card info

Last edited: May 7, 2011
  8. raidzero

Use any of the RZR, clockwork or SPR SBF's from my recovery thread.

9. raidzero

My sbfs only replace recovery and do not touch any other data.

10. smmfc

smmfc New Member

Raidzero: good to know I guess everyone can learn some thing new every day. Btw great work on the recovery I haven't had a single.issue or random reboot in recovery and recommended it to all my buddies. Anyway back to the issue at hand
    After you do get into recovery make sure you look into how to revert to froyo again if you need to.
    Many people report that you can't just wipe and reinstall a 2.2.# rom after a gb rom
    Make sure its what you want to do before hand. Its fun to flash alot of roms but hard to find a good stable one that works with your phone.
  11. hyperdude

hyperdude New Member

If you do go and try to reflash a Froyo ROM after GB, I imagine you want to wipe the system partition before flashing, because of the differences between 2.2 and 2.3.
  12. raidzero

yeah you can, just do a full wipe
    indeed.. just wipe it all (in RZR - just select wipe all - otherwise, do them manually)
    Here's why
    system is most definitely different, cache is too (dalvik-cache is moved to cache in GB, it's in data in froyo), data should be a no-brainer, recovery is the same (as long as you are using a custom recovery), boot is different while kernel itself is the same, but the ramdisk used to boot the system is not.
  13. OdinvsLoki

OdinvsLoki New Member

Thank you all for your input and indept explainations on solving this issue. What I did find to be true is that you will have to flash CWM untill it gets a good flash. If not you will not beable to boot into recovery mode. Its takend me sometimes one time to flash or up to five to get a good flash state. With that said you will always need to have network connectivity so that ROM Manager can check for the latest version.
  14. raidzero

Unbelievable that this an accepted solution....but it is. :-/

Sent from my Honeycomb Gtablet!
Search tags for this page
can no longer get into recovery mode on droid x
how to put droid a855 in recovery mode
how to put htc rezound in recovery mode
how to put nexus s in recovery mode
how to reflash samsung s4g that cant enter recovery mode
milestone how to enter recovery mode
my andriod phone no longer enter recovery mode