Can my droid be my computer keyboard?

S

spacemanps

So i am looking for an app to be able to connect to my computer and act as a keyboard...

so currently i have my laptop hooked up to my tv and my computer is at my desk. I want to be able to type on my phone and it come up on my computer... is there a way to do this?

Guchi

Reaction score
you could try phonemypc i think you could control everything that way

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
you could try phonemypc i think you could control everything that way
I use this as well. PhonemyPC is great for accessing your computer when you're not there. But if the OP has his PC linked to his/her TV and just wants to control wirelessly, gmote is the way to go. The screen works as a touch pad mouse, and the keyboard is used for text input.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Educate me people. Why would anyone want to use their Droid for a keyboard? :confused:

OP
S

spacemanps

Educate me people. Why would anyone want to use their Droid for a keyboard? :confused:

well honestly, im lazy and sit on my could (which is in front of my tv) and then when i switch my input on my tv (with my harmony remote, thing controls everything, best purchase besides my droid) to my Mac input i have to sit at my desk to input any text..

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have the same set up as the OP.
My PC is at my desk, with my monitor on the desk. It's only a 19" monitor so being able to see it from across the room isn't happening..... so I hooked up an S-video cable from my PC to my TV, which I can see from across the room. So should I feel lazy, like laying around, I can use my PC with my TV as a display. I do have a wireless mouse and keyboard, so I just use those, but you can turn your Droid into a wireless keyboard/mouse and use your PC from across the room, all while displaying on your TV.

justbob

Reaction score
Connect Droid will give you great telnet/ssh capabilities if your computer is capable of handling those.

Moondonkey

Reaction score

I use mine as a extra remote for my media pc. My wife does the same with her Droid.

I have a full size wireless mouse and keyboard, but it is sometimes on the other side of the room, or the mouse has been eaten by the couch. My droid however is always close at hand.

It could also serve as a presentation remote in a pinch, like if you hook up your laptop to the projector, you could then use your phone to navigate/ go to next slide.

koralyne

Reaction score

well honestly, im lazy and sit on my could (which is in front of my tv) and then when i switch my input on my tv (with my harmony remote, thing controls everything, best purchase besides my droid) to my Mac input i have to sit at my desk to input any text..

Hah! your setup sounds just like mine. Ive got a 32 inch hooked up to my computer, and i sit back and watch the fun. its such a great setup, for people that havnt tried it. really uses the tv for something other than games, puts it to great use.

Thanks for bringing this up, gmote and phonmypc are gonna be some of the first two apps i get in the market! =]

OP
S

spacemanps

Hey how about you take a pic of your set up tonight and post it.. or i was going to make a thread and have people post their "man dens" ha...

i enjoy seeing other peoples ideas on how they set up their chill room/bedroom..

I have my 46' in front of the tv, with my bed off to the right side and my desk to the left.. i think its a pretty sick set up.. alows me to chill in bed and watch tv, and be able to chill with people on the couches.

Detonation

Reaction score

I'd just pick up a cheap wireless keyboard mouse combo. I actually have an HTPC (home theater pc) thats dedicated only to TV use. I keep the wireless keyboard on the bottom shelf of my coffee table and take it out whenever I need it. I also have a Harmony Remote and have it setup to power on or shutdown the HTPC as well as switching inputs, so I never have to get up at all. My full setup is a Samsung 46" LCD TV, Denon 1610 Receiver, HTPC, Xbox 360, PS3, and Wii :)

I got a basic logitech set from Target for $15 on sale. I think it was the EX100.

Last edited:

koralyne

Reaction score
Hey how about you take a pic of your set up tonight and post it.. or i was going to make a thread and have people post their "man dens" ha...

i enjoy seeing other peoples ideas on how they set up their chill room/bedroom..

I have my 46' in front of the tv, with my bed off to the right side and my desk to the left.. i think its a pretty sick set up.. alows me to chill in bed and watch tv, and be able to chill with people on the couches.

that sounds like a great idea =]

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score

That was my first reaction. I'm able to type much faster and more accurately with my laptop. I am, however, much older than many of the folks in this community so what ever works best for each individual is the way to go.

I think it will be fun, so I'm going to look at the apps/sites others have recommended.

Mike