Can Motorola be the company to help Android remain true?

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
moto-x+1-vs-moto-x.jpg

2 years ago when Samsung released the Galaxy S3 and The Galaxy Note 2 they were on an upslope to being considered the "King of Android". They became so popular achieving record sales that people even begin to wonder if they were not only larger than Google (http://www.theverge.com/2014/8/15/6005867/is-samsung-bigger-than-google) but had enough leverage to dictate terms to Google. Google understood the value of Samsung as they were willing to help Samsung with their ongoing legal issues with Apple. But just as soon as the hype started there seemed to be sort of a fatigue of Samsung from some in the community. Add to that Motorola returning to the company we loved by designing devices that appeal to those wanting a clean and simplistic experience that can be customized while providing fast updates. If Motorola manages to hit a home run with all 3 devices (Moto X+1, Moto 360, Moto Nexus) can they begin to build another following and begin to woo potential buyers away from Samsung?

I have to think Google is secretly rooting for Motorola to have success and become a company that challenges Samsung, as Motorola (formerly owned by Google) is the closest presentation of what Google has envisioned for an android device manufacturer. Where Samsung is looking to try and differentiate itself from Android, Motorola has come closer to being the device that truly represents the idea of Android. With Samsung loading up their phones with more bloat, demanding more money for less (Samsung Galaxy Alpha), and trying to become Apple, Motorola have the potential with its build quality, awesome radios, clean look, longer battery life, and the ability to customize to become a company that over time could overtake Samsung in the phone department. Although Samsung having a very diverse company that dabbles in a bit of everything, so they will continue to remain successful even if they were to come in "2nd" or "3rd" in cell phone cells for a few years.

Do you want to see a successful Motorola?

Do you think Motorola can overtake Motorola in Android phone sells?

If Motorola do create a landmark success that rivals the OG Droid will they be able to continue to build on it or will they do what they have done in the past building one great device and then go years before creating another successful device?

Last edited by a moderator:

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
I don't think it has to rest on Moto's shoulders alone. Samsung has gone in a bad direction. But after having owned an HTC and LG phone recently, both companies are making great strides at showing Androids brilliance as well as making it their own. Samsung is hiding Android and trying to make Samsung look great.

YankInDaSouth

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.wix.com
Nice right up PC!

I'd love to see Motorola get back to where it was back in the OG Droid days!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I don't think it has to rest on Moto's shoulders alone. Samsung has gone in a bad direction. But after having owned an HTC and LG phone recently, both companies are making great strides at showing Androids brilliance as well as making it their own. Samsung is hiding Android and trying to make Samsung look great.

Very good point about HTC and LG. I applaud LG for managing to add many of the same features found on Samsung devices while managing to try an remain true to the android design language. And HTC has been going in the right direction the past couple of years being humble by their own feat to "overload and bloat" . If HTC can continue to recover and stay afloat I think they will be one of those companies in the mix. My concern is that every time you turn around you hear that HTC is either barley making money or losing money so I get this feel like the other shoe may drop and they get bought out.

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
My concern is that every time you turn around you hear that HTC is either barley making money or losing money so I get this feel like the other shoe may drop and they get bought out.

To me, as long as they pay their bills, their employees and don't hemorrhage money, its a success. Yes, every company wants to make millions and millions in profits, but being able to do everything right and stay in the green is also a success. Sometimes you have to struggle to succeed.

swc2001

Reaction score
I have had Motorola in the past and loved them. I currently have an S4 and love it. In all honesty I wouldnt mind if they had a stale mate, because it would produce better prices and better product lines. But secretly yes I am voting for Moto to be slightly better seeing as they are an American company. :)

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
I'm not sure i understand the title. I don't think Moto has any influence when it comes to the Android OS.
I do believe Moto did make the best phones available. But I also believe Lenovo is now in charge.
Will the future Moto devices be as good as the past devices? Only time will tell.

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
I have had Motorola in the past and loved them. I currently have an S4 and love it. In all honesty I wouldnt mind if they had a stale mate, because it would produce better prices and better product lines. But secretly yes I am voting for Moto to be slightly better seeing as they are an American company. :)
You know that Lenovo owns Motorola right? Google sold it to Chinese...last year or this one?

Last edited:
OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I'm not sure i understand the title. I don't think Moto has any influence when it comes to the Android OS.
I do believe Moto did make the best phones available. But I also believe Lenovo is now in charge.
Will the future Moto devices be as good as the past devices? Only time will tell.
You look at Samsung now and they clearly are the largest and most successful distributor of android (based) devices. Android L will be using what Samsung created in Knox, Google practically gutted Motorola's patents to help protect Samsung as well as provide legal aid to help Samsung with their lawsuits against Apple. Samsung is basically the "star" player of the team and despite that they continue to push more and more of their software on to android which is obvious that they are more likely looking to use android to spring board people to their own software based devices in the future.
Google knows that, Samsung knows that, we know that and despite what Google put out to OEMS demanding they follow the rules they know Samsung is going to continue to tip toe the line. Yet they continue to thread lightly with Samsung because they are the top dog in android. So if another manufacturer (is Motorola in this case) was to continue to have success doing it basically the way that closely represent what google envisioned in android and they are able to cause the amount of Samsung loyal customers to go elsewhere it will be a relief for Google. They can then say "this work so buy in or get out" knowing they have less to lose than Samsung should Samsung get out. Google can not say that now because they would just be hurting themselves as much as Samsung at a time when Samsung has been one of the driving forces to pushing android past iOS in sales.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

swc2001

Reaction score
You know that Lenovo owns Motorola right? Google sold it to Chinese...last year or this one?
hmmm I didnt know that..... That hurts me. However I do know they are still making the phones in Ft. worth. at least thats something.