Can I use unlocked Verizon Droid in Canada (Rogers)?

exphone

Reaction score
Quick question guys, I am a real phone newbie here.

I currently have a blackberry plan on Rogers here in Canada, and was wondering if I buy an unlocked Verizon Droid, would I be able to use this with my sim?

OP
E

exphone

Reaction score
Quick question guys, I am a real phone newbie here.

I currently have a blackberry plan on Rogers here in Canada, and was wondering if I buy an unlocked Verizon Droid, would I be able to use this with my sim?

thanks guys!

its.mike

Reaction score
The Droid is CDMA, sim's are used on GSM networks. So no you wouldn't be able to.

StupidGenius

Reaction score
The Droid is CDMA, sim's are used on GSM networks. So no you wouldn't be able to.

This isn't quite true. All carriers in Canada use GSM now, but there are two that just very recently overlaid there CDMA networks with GSM. The CDMA network is still there. They can't just dismantle the CDMA network without alienating the millions that still have CDMA-only phones. But whether an unlocked Verizon will work on their CDMA network, I don't know.

Canada's CDMA operators defect to HSPA/LTE - FierceBroadbandWireless

EDIT: And yes the Milestone will work there.

Last edited:

ZBoater

Reaction score
I am not an expert either, but I think Rogers is GSM, and uses SIMs, and the Droid currently is not (and does not use SIM cards), so the answer would be no.

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I am not an expert either, but I think Rogers is GSM, and uses SIMs, and the Droid currently is not (and does not use SIM cards), so the answer would be no.

Rogers is indeed a GSM network. So our droids would not work on them. However the milestones work on the networks ;). This is how some of the users in the USA are getting the GSM to work on AT&T, and other networks.