Can I use Rom Manager without using Clockwork Recovery?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by TopDroid, Aug 17, 2010.

1. TopDroid

TopDroid Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hey guys, Im about to root my Droid and was wondering if there was anyway to use Clockwork Rom Manager to get roms and stuff without having to use Clockwork's Recovery? I read somewhere that once you download Clockwork Rom Manager it gives you the option to use SPRecovery or Clockwork Recovery. Is there any truth to that? Also, lets say I HAVE to use Clockwork recovery to back up my roms downloaded by Rom Manager...does the Clockwork Recovery override(or write over) my SPRecovery?

2. AtrusNex

AtrusNex Member

Ratings:
    +0
    You can, but it's more trouble than it's worth. Rom Manager caches it's downloads on a file on your SD Card "/sdcard/clockworkmod/download/". If you set your Recovery Manager to be SPRecovery you can go in there and move each file separately to the root directory of your SD Card and rename it update.zip and flash each file individually. with Clockworck Recovery you just download the files and everything else is done automatically.

3. Tallica

Tallica Premium Member Rescue Squad Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1
    You should really use Clockwork or SPRecovery and NOT Rom Manager, but to each their own.
    Rom Manager and Easy Root (did u use that to) have had major issues lately.

4. AtrusNex

AtrusNex Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Umm, you do know that Rom Manager uses Clockwork right?

5. Tallica

Ratings:
    +1
    Ummm, you know you can use Clockwork as a standalone and it works fine (actually better), without Rom Manager?

I do prefer SPR but CW as as standalone is fine

Thanks for the input though.

6. AtrusNex

AtrusNex Member

Ratings:
    +0
    To each his own I suppose. I've done over 200 ROM flashes now all using ClockWork Recovery built into Rom Manager without a single problem that couldn't be fixed by just flashing an older version of Clock Work and Re-flashing the new one back. And even this has only happened maybe 3-4 times.

7. TopDroid

TopDroid Member

Ratings:
    +0
    ok,so let me get this straight... If I use Rom manager to get Roms, I can chose NOT to use Clockwork recovery? and by doing this, once ive downloaded a rom through rom manager, I can go into my sd card and put the rom in the root of my sd card,rename it, and flash it using the update.zip method via SPRecovery? If so, is this a safe way of doing things?
    Thanks guys!!

8. AtrusNex

AtrusNex Member

Ratings:
    +0
    It's safe as far as I know. I've never really done it as it would take much more work than just using Clockwork with RM. But as always, make sure you make a Nandroid back-up before you do anything risky anyways.

9. Tallica

Ratings:
    +1
    If you use Rom Manager you will be using Clockwork

10. furbearingmammal

furbearingmammal DF Super Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +358
    Current Phone Model:
    32GB Moto X Developers Edition
    Twitter:
    furryvarmint
    @AtrusNex

See the thingie under Tallica's name? He's a member of the rescue squad, so he sees the dark side of the Droid world. He puts phones back together from quivering, bloody pieces using nothing but baling twine and duct tape, sending them back into the fray that is the day-to-day use these phones see. :) If he says ROM Manager has issues, believe him.

The number of phones having issues with any one app/thing/whatever is small, but when problems happen... HOOO boy! I've tried to put some of those lumps back together after someone had RM issues and, frankly, I'd rather not go that route again.

@TopDroid

You got it. Or you could do it the really "hard" way and download/push manually to/from your PC. :) But, as AtrusNex says, to each their own.

Also, as he said, backup, backup, backup! :D

11. furbearingmammal

furbearingmammal DF Super Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +358
    Current Phone Model:
    32GB Moto X Developers Edition
    Twitter:
    furryvarmint
    Yeah, he's right. I forgot to add "But you'll have to flash SPRecovery in every time you want to install something if you want to use SPRecovery instead of ClockworkMOD Recovery to do it."

12. TopDroid

TopDroid Member

Ratings:
    +0
    ok, sounds good to me! I think Ill just be doing it the update.zip method via SPRecovery. With that being said, is there a good site to check out Roms and see pictures of themes before I flash them? I know we(droidforums) have a section on this but is there a better site thats just dedicated to Themes and Roms? Like a rom/theme manager i can look at on my computer? Or does no such thing exist?lol!
    Thanks again guys!!

13. Tallica

Ratings:
    +1
    Each Dev has their own section here: Custom Roms
    Themes are here:
    Droid Themes

Screenshots are in OP's

Enjoy

14. dlwhtrose

dlwhtrose DF Super Moderator Rescue Squad Premium Member

God forsaken desert, wishing to be back in Dixie
    Ratings:
    +11
    Okay, no offense toward Tallica, but I use RM and ClockworkMod exclusively and like them both. Now yes RM has issues and can be finicky. I have found a couple of tricks to make RM work and cause little headaches. Always try to run WiFi when downloading through RM and always before you download clear the download cache. Now if you want you can use CW without RM as well, which I do sometimes as well. Not all roms or themes are listed in RM so if you are running CW, you can still download the rom/theme of your choosing to your computer, put it on the root of your sd card, boot into recovery, install from sd card, choose the file you want to install and go. The nice thing about CW over SPRecovery in my opinion is you do not have to rename the files you want to install. Therefore you can put all the roms/themes you want on your sd card (without renaming them) and install them the way they are. Then if you change your mind and want to go to another one, you do not have to delete the old update file from your sd card, rename the new file to update and so on.

But...... it is a really good thing to try both ways out. Then you can choose which is best for you.

15. Tallica

Ratings:
    +1
    I'm not trying to bash RM. It's just, i've seen so many members lose CW after using RM. I know the flah alt. recovery and flash back trick. Seems like a bit of a hassle but it works for some flawlessly. RM is a GREAT idea, though.

Search tags for this page
backup rom without clockwork
can i instal rom manager through sd card
flash a rom without clockwork

how to use rom manager

how to use rom manager without root
install clockmodrom recovery without rom manager
install roms without using recovery

rom manager without root

use rom manager without root
using rom manager without root