Can I Use Google Voice With Droid X

picasso

Reaction score
GV requires a phone signal. It doesn't work over wi-fi only. I just put my X into Airplane mode with wi-fi on and GV won't dial out.

GV for Droid must not be the same as regular GV then. You can call from a laptop or desktop with GV and they don't have phone signals.

Ansextra

Reaction score
Ok then try dialing from an Android phone in Airplane mode with wi-fi on and tell me if GV works for you.

picasso

Reaction score
Ok then try dialing from an Android phone in Airplane mode with wi-fi on and tell me if GV works for you.

I'm not arguing with you Ans. I believe you. I'm just wondering why GV will work on wi-fi with Windows but does not work on wi-fi with Android.

Ansextra

Reaction score
Not a problem...
My GV works when I use it from my desktop which is not connected to wi-fi. GV uses the network similar to Vonage and other IP Phone services as far as I know.
For some reason it doesn't work on wi-fi though.

sephtin

Reaction score
The GV App basically works like hitting call in the gvoice interface on the web, and connects the call (without having to hit the call button, etc.), rather than as the gtalk function.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I believe that there is some confusion about the ability of using Gmail to make phone calls with Google Voice.

It's not the same thing. This is a feature that's built into gmail and has nothing to do with Google Voice. You don't need a Google Voice number to make this feature work. All you need is a gmail account. That and a computer with a microphone.

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
Google voice is awesome. I talk and text without worrying about using minutes. If only you could send mms.

sephtin

Reaction score
Google voice is awesome. I talk and text without worrying about using minutes. If only you could send mms.

guessing you missed a post or two from the thread... ;) Pretty sure that GVoice calls still use minutes..

sephtin

Reaction score
OH YEA! bleh. (On the min. plan, no F&F for me.. but that's ok). :) I therefore keep forgetting about that. :S

I use tons of data.. not so much voice currently.. heh.

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
Google voice has saved so much money on the texting alone, its not even funny. Like I said before though, I wish I could send mms through the app instead of emailing. :(

abe7333

Reaction score
I currently have an iPhone and I'm looking at switching over to Droid. I'm a big fan of all things Google, and I really don't like what a status symbol iPhone is becoming. One of my biggest expectations is that I can integrate Google Voice with my phone. I'm looking at the Droid X only because it's the latest and greatest, but I'd go with any model that can get the job done if the X can't. I'm not afraid of "hacking" or "modding" whatever I have to in order to make it happen. I love Google Voice but I hate making outbound calls, having to dial into my Google Voice number then dial the number I want to call. I'm hoping there's an app that lets me just dial my desired number and automates the rest of the process. I was just wondering if anyone knows if this is possible and how good the app is.

Yes android is google's baby so we have google voice. Download the gv app and set it to use for all calls and wallah you are good to go. And welcome to the greatness of android. I moved from apple after being three years with them and I couldn't be happier.

"I know not with what weapons War World III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with stick and stones."-Albert Einstein.

Send from Droid X

picasso

Reaction score
I believe that there is some confusion about the ability of using Gmail to make phone calls with Google Voice.

It's not the same thing. This is a feature that's built into gmail and has nothing to do with Google Voice. You don't need a Google Voice number to make this feature work. All you need is a gmail account. That and a computer with a microphone.

You are correct about gmail and GV not being the same thing but the ability to make calls from gmail is because GV is integrated into gmail. When you are placing a call through gmail, you are using GV. To receive calls you must have a GV account. If you have a GV account you can also retrieve your voice mail and texts through gmail but GV also has its own browser which is separate from the gmail browser.