Can I Upgrade BuglessBeast w/o Wiping Data / Cache?

Discussion in 'Bugless' started by acorange2027, Dec 25, 2010.

1. acorange2027

acorange2027 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, all,

I have a rooted Motorola Droid running BuglessBeast v0.5 (Android 'Froyo' 2.2). I'm interested in upgrading to the new v0.6.1 release that just came out. All the installation directions out there advise that you should do a complete wipe of data and cache before installing any BB build. Can anyone explain why this is so? I spent a lot of time customizing my phone (ringtones, shortcuts, application settings, etc.) and I can't afford to start over again.

I realize that Nandroid backup automatically re-installs all my existing applications once the BB upgrade is complete, but that's not enough for me to only have my applications preserved -- I need to have EVERYTHING preserved 100% exactly the way it is right now.

Before I rooted my phone, I did OTA Android updates through Verizon Wireless on a regular basis and none of these updates ever messed with my phone settings. There has *GOT* to be a way to get the latest BuglessBeast installed without wiping my existing settings / config!

Please advise. --acorange

2. fucco

fucco Member

Ratings:
    +0
    You need to wipe. IT runs on a differnet base and if you copy over it you will run into problems. Get mybackup pro and that will save you settings icons shortcuts etc. It will also restore your apps. Since u are rooted you can also use titanium backup to restore your apps. I wiped mine and had my phone full back to normal in a hour

3. takeshi

takeshi Silver Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Look, Pete doesn't say to do so just for fun. :icon_rolleyes:

If you really want to do so without wiping then make a backup (as you should be doing anyway) and attempt the in-place install. If it doesn't work out then restore. Simple.

Well all have.

Sure you can. You don't want to. There's a difference.

#3 takeshi, Dec 25, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2010
  4. pulsar

pulsar New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Please keep in mind Verizon Motorola and Google are made up of thousands of engineers working together and getting fat paid. Pete is a student who does this in his free time for free. He is not a super hero. Sure it would be awesome to not have to wipe data to update the rom, but you gotta be happy with the amazing work he does already and put some effort into it yourself. :)