Can I Update My Rooted Droid X

rickrock1202

Reaction score
I have a rooted Droid X (D3 one click root). My phone keeps pushing the new update. I have been denying it but can I go ahead and accept it without ruining my phone. If not what is the easiest way to either a.)remove root or b.)stop the update from being push to my phone so i dont accidently install it
Thanks

leftspin

Reaction score
I have a rooted Droid X (D3 one click root). My phone keeps pushing the new update. I have been denying it but can I go ahead and accept it without ruining my phone. If not what is the easiest way to either a.)remove root or b.)stop the update from being push to my phone so i dont accidently install it
Thanks

If you take the update you'll lose root, you won't ruin the phone though. Even if you do have problems after taking the update, there are ways you can get it back to normal again

OP
R

rickrock1202

Reaction score
If you take the update you'll lose root, you won't ruin the phone though. Even if you do have problems after taking the update, there are ways you can get it back to normal again

would i be better off removing the root...if so, ho do i do that?
Thanks

leftspin

Reaction score
would i be better off removing the root...if so, ho do i do that?
Thanks

I don't think it makes that big of a difference as updating will break the root anyway, but if you were going to do that you would have to use Pete's Motorola Root Tools.

Keep in mind that (I believe) you are about to update to .621, which is a bit of a pain to get rooted again, so if you plan on rooting in the future you'll want to just stay where you are and freeze the updater. The update really isn't that big and is by no means necessary so this is the option I'd recommend.

If you absolutely must update I'd say do a factory reset first (and then unroot if you want to) so that you don't have issues after taking the update. You could also just SBF flash to the latest version and bypass all of this altogether.

OP
R

rickrock1202

Reaction score
Keep in mind that (I believe) you are about to update to .621, which is a bit of a pain to get rooted again, so if you plan on rooting in the future you'll want to just stay where you are and freeze the updater. The update really isn't that big and is by no means necessary so this is the option I'd recommend

How do I freeze the updater. So far I have just been decling but im affriad one of these times I might accept by mistake...thanks

leftspin

Reaction score
How do I freeze the updater. So far I have just been decling but im affriad one of these times I might accept by mistake...thanks

First download the app Titanium Backup from the Play Store. Open it and click where it says 'Backup/Restore,' towards the top. Then just scroll down to find both 'Updater' and 'Upgrader,' click on each of them and click 'Freeze !'

Savagerun

Reaction score
Keep in mind you need the paid version of titanium to freeze apps. AntTek is free and should work fine. Titanium backup pro is well worth the money tho.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

leftspin

Reaction score
Keep in mind you need the paid version of titanium to freeze apps. AntTek is free and should work fine. Titanium backup pro is well worth the money tho.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

Whoops, totally forgot that. My bad.

You can also do it from the App Manager section of ROM Toolbox

newmanx4

Reaction score
You can use OTA Rootkeeper to take the update to .621 and keep root.

newmanx4

Reaction score
Yep. It depends on the steps you take when you update. I know there's a thread at DXF about it.