Can I turn off 4G lte?

jason72687

Reaction score
I live in a remote area. Nearest 4G coverage is over an hour away from home.
Considering DROID RAZR MAXX HD because of battery life... would like to extend this further by keeping it from searching for coverage it won't find.

Is there an easy way to turn 4G LTE on/off, so I can set this according to the coverage area I am in?

Thanks for any help!

TexasRedneck

Reaction score
Tried both with no luck

I am having the smae issue. Tried both the ideas listed, so far, and no luck. I'm running a LG Spectrum with ANdroid image 4.0.4. I could use the *#*#*4636#*#* settings change,until this update. If you find an answer,please let me know.:frown:

OP
J

jason72687

Reaction score
I am having the smae issue. Tried both the ideas listed, so far, and no luck. I'm running a LG Spectrum with ANdroid image 4.0.4. I could use the *#*#*4636#*#* settings change,until this update. If you find an answer,please let me know.:frown:

While thinking of buying the DROID RAZR MAXX HD, I have not yet done so. I have seen references elsewhere for the "LTE ON/OFF" Thunderbolt software and believe I would prefer a solution like this... so I could easily turn it back on when in a 4G coverage area. Still trying to verify if this works with new the RAZR MAXX under Jelly Bean OS before I buy the phone.

More later.

OP
J

jason72687

Reaction score

scion676

Reaction score
Have you verified operation after upgrade to Jelly Bean OS? (i.e. tested functionality under both "ON" and "OFF" conditions?)
Really appreciate the help.
Thanks!

Yes, Razr Maxx HD works fine with LTEonoff app. Even on JB. I use it daily.

KaChow

Reaction score

If that is the code that you used then there is one more (*) then is needed. The code is *#*#4636#*#* this works on Verizon phones, in fact it also works on Sprint phones as well. Once in the Test Menu, change the Phone Info> Set Preferred Network Type: from> LTE/CDMA?EvDO/GSM/WCDMA to the CDMA PRL AUTO setting. Then reboot. I have always found the best results with adding the Code *228 to refresh the signal and roaming capabilities.

snowman

Reaction score
Hey KaChow won't this fry the Simm on a 4G phone I mean fry it smoke may come out of the phone I know it's the way on a non 4G, but never on a 4G I was told???

quote you": I have always found the best results with adding the Code *228 to refresh the signal and roaming capabilities:"

KaChow

Reaction score
Hey KaChow won't this fry the Simm on a 4G phone I mean fry it smoke may come out of the phone I know it's the way on a non 4G, but never on a 4G I was told???

quote you": I have always found the best results with adding the Code *228 to refresh the signal and roaming capabilities:"

Can't say that I have heard that before, the *228 (send) is harmless. It is most helpful in areas that are rather in-between signals, as it mainly refreshes the roaming capabilities or prls. The SIM card gives an instant refresh, where as the non-SIM cards have options, like press 2 to update.

TexasRedneck

Reaction score
Fat Fingered

Sorry, fat fingered it (*#*#) is correct. But this no longer works with the new 4.0.4 update, from last week.
I'm going to attempt a call to Verizon Tech to see if they have a way around this, but doubtful.
I'll post here after the call.

snowman

Reaction score
Thats wild I never have done it the verizon company store told me never do *228 on a 4G phone it will litterally fry the sim card the guy at the store
said he has seen smoke come out of them before, said just power down and back on will do the tower updates,(roaming capablilities) I know this was how it was on all the older phones. I would almost never power down my phones for months sometimes, they said do it a few times a week to update?
interesting

KaChow

Reaction score
Sorry, fat fingered it (*#*#) is correct. But this no longer works with the new 4.0.4 update, from last week.
I'm going to attempt a call to Verizon Tech to see if they have a way around this, but doubtful.
I'll post here after the call.

Unfortunately, I do not have an LG, so there is not much I can do to help you in your situation. While the Test Menu was *#*#4636#*#* (Send), the other important menu is the Program Menu accessible through ##PROGRAM (send), the Enter SPC password is "000000" Verify. If you can get in there, you'll see just about everything you need.

Thats wild I never have done it the verizon company store told me never do *228 on a 4G phone it will litterally fry the sim card the guy at the store
said he has seen smoke come out of them before, said just power down and back on will do the tower updates,(roaming capablilities) I know this was how it was on all the older phones. I would almost never power down my phones for months sometimes, they said do it a few times a week to update?
interesting

Yeah, the *228 worked great even on an old Blackberry I had in 2007. This device the XT926 is truly amazing in the capabilities that it has to offer, the SIM card that can access countless different networks, which unlocking is very simple. The old days of swapping prls, and flashing radios, I hope is long gone.