Can I stream mp4 threw 4g in 2011?

Discussion in 'Android Audio and Video' started by Blackcharger06, Nov 28, 2010.

1. Blackcharger06

Blackcharger06 New Member

Ok so here is what I would like to do. I work for a public access station and outside of the highschool and middle school and a few other town buildings we are unable to go live from where we want. I would like to go live from the baseball/football and various outher fields around town. Currently we use a vbrick system that takes our signal and encodes to mpeg2, and then sends it to our media server at our head end threw the towns network. With 3g speeds what they are, we never thought of streaming the video wirelessly, but with 4g I'm starting to look into it. I was told from a few people that there is a teathering app pdanet?, that would work. I know they unlimated data is unlimted as long as I launch it threw an app which I plan to do.

My question is, how can I get the signal to the phone? I'm guessing usb is the best way to go? I only need about 1.5mbs cause I am going to be uploading mp4 at 720/480i. I know the speeds of 4g claim to be 2/5mbs upload so I think i'll be ok.

Ah well what I would like now know is, A....if this is possible in Q1 2011, and what phone would work best for what I would like to do. The TRUE DUAL video output of the new dual cores terminator, or the LG could be an option.

I know I can use a 4g usb moble hotspot but they are capped....so that isn't an option right now. Lots of words I know but any help would be amazing, and really help out the people of the town so they can see their kids play live on TV.
  2. dvdcatalyst

dvdcatalyst Guest

Correct me if I am wrong, but in short, you want to use your phone's internet upload speed to stream a game onto the web?

With 4G that should be possible. Basically any phone with tether (root it if needed) or USB adapter with a 4G connection should suffice, depending on the signal reception you have.

Basically you would just be using a laptop with a camera to do the recording and compression, and then use 4G to send it onwards.

Doing it from the phone directly would be a bit tricky though.

edit:
    If you use a phone just for the internet connection, you would need to use tether or, if you want to pay extra, something like Mobile Hotspot.
    In both cases, the phone will act as a wifi router. You connect with wifi to the phone, and the phone shares the 4G internet connection with your laptop.

With a USB stick, it basically works like wifi, but instead of connecting to a router, you connect directly to the internet using the 4G connection it provides.

If you are using a static setup (laptop on a table) there wouldn't be much of a difference, but if you move about quite a bit, it might be easier to use a phone. You can leave that in your pocket while you are using its data connection.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 28, 2010
  3. Blackcharger06

thanx....

Thanx, we are a non profit so spending money is something we have to be careful with. I would use a laptop or a studio in a box called a tricaster. It takes in up to 6 video feeds and sync's them all together. I would be able to do instant replay, and switch between the camera's and what not. I just want to make sure I can do atleast 1.5mbs and not get charged huge overage feeds. From my under standing threw pdanet? I would just have to have the 30 dollar data package and I would be all set.
  4. dvdcatalyst

dvdcatalyst Guest

Unlimited data is what you would need, but make sure you research that before you go for it. Some providers still have a limit to "Unlimited".

As for the upload speed, theoretically, 4G should do the trick, but in real-life you will hardly ever see that.

I found a chart of 4G speeds in different locations here:

- PCWorld

original article:

Sprint's EVO Phone in a 4G Zone: How Fast Is It? - PCWorld

As you can see, it doesn't reach the 1500 anywhere.

Looking at the Sprint website, it appears that their 4G is capped at 1000Kbps upload:

4G WiMAX

As for pdanet, it looks like that will do the trick for you.

PdaNet -- USB Tether/Bluetooth DUN for Android

5. Blackcharger06

thanx again...

Thanx again for getting back to me. 2 verizon stores here recently had beta testing of the 4g usb cards and I saw first had the speeds. The 4g sprint uses is all together different. After doing some research online i've found that 4g is a loose term and can mean many things. What I did find out is that, the 4g speeds on verizon's net work were @ 11.5 download and around 3.8 upload. I was able to run speedtest.net. Some time these figures went up some times they went down but the avg was with a .01mb. Now your right I did look at the link you sent me and sprint's 4g isn't that much faster unless ideal conditons are present. i'll be in the suburbs of boston so i'm not worried. As long as I can get 1.5mbs I should be fine. I'm not pushing Hd or anything.

As for unlimited data your right. If i was to use an air card I would be hit with some huge overage fees. By using pdanet much like using slingbox as long as I have the 30 dollar data package and launch the APP i'm ok.... for now. I talked with 2 verizion reps last night and they were both told that soon after the current at&t users move over to verizon they are seriously considering to do away with the unlimited data plans. There ceo recently said this was not the case so as to set themselves apart I think they will hold off until after the 4g launch. The phones won't come out until Feb now anyways probably.
Search tags for this page

can i stream vidios using pdanet

use 4g router