Can I simply accept the 2.1 update (running smoked glass now)

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by nateccnn, Apr 12, 2010.

1. nateccnn

nateccnn Member

Ratings:
    +2
    OK....not looking for answers to if I should do it or not do it. I am bored and need to try something new. I have all the tools to go back to rooted and know how to use them.

I am running Smoked Glass 6.0.1 - 2.1 (ESE 53) with Adamz low voltage 5 step- 800 Mhz kernel. I like it. I am not considering going to the OTA update in hopes to improve anything. Just bored. Really...that's all it is.

So...I go into settings...about phone...check for updates and it says I have an update available for download. Can I simply download it and let it do it's thing or do I need to return to stock before accepting the download?

I have run a nandroid backup so if I don't like the update I know my way home. RSD Lite, root, spupdater, SG install, restore nandroid...or something to that effect.

Nate

2. jroc

jroc Silver Member

Ratings:
    +61
    I'm not sure if Clockwork or SPRecovery do it differently, but one or both may block it if you try to install it. I keep reading SPRecovery blocks the install, not seeing too much info about Clockwork. I forgot what I had running when I tried to let it install on mine. (It got blocked. I use Rom Manager so I switch back n forth between the recovery systems)

Back up your stuff, then uninstall whichever recovery u are using and install the official 2.1 update.

3. nateccnn

nateccnn Member

Ratings:
    +2
    So...I went ahead and tried to download the update. It downloaded. Went to find it on the SD card and it was not there. Go back to settings...about phone...check for updates and it says an update is available for download. Is that what you mean by SPRecovery blocking it?

Soo...I restored my nandroid backup I did after rooting but before updating to a 2.1 rom. I now have 2.0.1 but it is rooted. I am downloading the OTA again. Bet it croaks on me too...but I am at least verifying weather it is the 2.1 ROM or SPRecovery that is blocking the download. Will rep0ort back in a few minutes.

I also have a nandroid backup of non rooted 2.0.1 so hopefully will be able to avoid RSDLite. Hopeful, but not likely. Still need to know for sure so have to try. as I said...I('m bored.

Nate

4. beneharris

beneharris Member

Ratings:
    +0
  5. nateccnn

nateccnn Member

Ratings:
    +2
    It downloaded and then prompted me for the Verify and is now unpacking the update. Appearantly I did not have SPRecovery on that rooted backup I did. I now have the white box with yellow arrowing coming out of the box into a pictuure of a Droid Phone. That sure looks like the stock recovery. Dang...now I have to re-root and reinstall that backup just to verify what Recovery was on it. Oh well...as I said...I'm bored. LOL

OK...yellow bar is all the way now...should be close. At least I did not have to pull out RSD Lite. Oh...there's the moto logo. Here it comes.

"Drrroooooiiiddd"

Nate

6. nateccnn

nateccnn Member

Ratings:
    +2
    I did verify that the phone was rooted but still had stock recovery on it. Took a while but I got the Smoked Glass reinstalled (started with RSD Lite to go back to 2.0.1...blah blah blah)...recovered the same nandroid backup I used earlier today...ran the terminal emulator and entered the SU command and it allowed me access. That is a handy little backup to keep around. It saved me some steps. I almost deleted it the other day when I was cleaning up my SD card but for some reason I decided to archeive it.

Initial impressions...it won't be long before I re-root. It's kind of laggy. But before re-rooting I just wiped all cache and user data. Re initialized the phone...logged into google account and am in process of redownloading all my apps. Hope that makes it a little less laggy. Will see.

Nate

OK...cache wiped...data cleared...phone reactivated...apps redownloaded. It's laggier now than it was before. I'm going to give it a few days to restore new cacche. It's going to be hard to force myself not to re-root. But I will give it 2 days. I will. No, really...I will.

Nate

Last edited: Apr 12, 2010
  7. jroc

jroc Silver Member

Ratings:
    +61
    I take it all went well. I get bored like that using my home PC. I almost had a four OS boot scenario with OS X, XP Pro, some Linux OS, Vista, Windows 7....wait thats 5 OS's.......

Its getting so hard to decide what ROM, kernel to use.

8. nateccnn

nateccnn Member

Ratings:
    +2
    It went well. But so far I am not happy. I swore to myself I'd give it 2 days. But it's getting really hard. Zillow takes forever to load any data. GPS works in some apps but not Trimble Outdoors. I can't get a decent battery charge. It's been plugged in for almost an hour and it has gone from 50 to 60% charge. That tells me it is using some serious battery power...just sitting there.

2 days. It's just 2 days.

Nate

9. nateccnn

nateccnn Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Just an update...
    I don't hate it as bad today as I did yesterday. I guess it needed to build some cache to smooth things out. Not as fast as an oc kernel, but not terribly slow either.

Nate