Can I send a file from my droid?

mitchb2

Reaction score
Is there a way to attach a file such as a song from the sd card and send it via gmail?

I was impressed that astro allows the ability to send files, b
ut I got an error that the file was too big.

im using swype right now and getting pretty cavalier with it. miracle of technology. except for capitalization. ;)

SwordOfWar

Reaction score
Is there a way to attach a file such as a song from the sd card and send it via gmail?

I was impressed that astro allows the ability to send files, b
ut I got an error that the file was too big.

im using swype right now and getting pretty cavalier with it. miracle of technology. except for capitalization. ;)

You know you can capitalize a letter by swyping from the first letter then going above the keyboard, and back down on it again going to the next letter of the word from there.

As far as attaching files, the default messaging application doesnt seem to allow mp3 attachments. Handcent SMS allows an audio option under attachments but it only shows like notification/ringtone sounds or something. I talked to the develoepr and suggested listing all .mp3 files from the sdcard. He said he would work on getting it added.

Just to let you guys know, the verizon network will convert your mp3 files to a lower quality file if it is longer than 30 seconds. Send yourself a file via [email protected] or it might work via @vtext.com (replace the Xs with your phone number).

So even if you use a program that will allow you to attach them, it will still sound like crap when the person you sent it to plays it. The longer the song, the worse it will sound. In my tests the quality was still good if the file was 30 seconds or less.

Actually, if its longer than 30 seconds i think it converts it to a completely different format (no longer a .mp3)...

There is no way around this because the conversion is done after it gets on the network (its not done on the phones).

so with a app its possible, but files longer than 30 seconds will sound quite bad.

asmallchild

Reaction score
I use es file explorer to send files.i couldnt figure out how to do it with astro

OP
M

mitchb2

Reaction score
Just to let you guys know, the verizon network will convert your mp3 files to a lower quality file if it is longer than 30 seconds.

Hmmm, could you trick it by changing the extension to something else?

busterchops

Reaction score
My Droid X sees only my wireless computer as a server but I want to access, wirelessly, other computers on my system--my media server for example.
Is there a way to do this? I have E Strongs File utility but it only accesses my wireless laptop.

BodyBagz

Reaction score
The OP asked about sending an .mp3 via Gmail...not in a text message...so why delve off topic?

Attaching an .mp3 in Gmail on the phone is really no different than doing it on your computer...you just have to get used to the Gmail app and its configuration.

Open Gmail--->Hard Menu Button(4 squares)--->Compose--->Type message--->Hard Menu Button again--->Attach---->Pop-Up for selecting which way to navigate to the file you want(Astro/Files/Gallery)--->Astro to .mp3 file you want to send---->After selection, screen goes back to mail message--->Below "Subject Line" you should see your attached file--->Click the upper right button with the envelope with > to send the completed message via Gmail.