Can I sell my Droid?

keith204

Reaction score
I purchased the Droid in November with a 2-year contract. Verizon reduced the "time til upgrade" at some point, so I jumped on the Droid X when it came out.

Are there any complications to selling the Droid? Is there anything I need to do to officially "unlock" it?

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I purchased the Droid in November with a 2-year contract. Verizon reduced the "time til upgrade" at some point, so I jumped on the Droid X when it came out.

Are there any complications to selling the Droid? Is there anything I need to do to officially "unlock" it?

It's fine with me, and since I say it's OK then go ahead and do it.;)

It's yours you are under no obligation to keep it. Sell it while you can.

NeoandGeo

Reaction score
I have only a slightly different question, so I'll post it here to prevent clutter.

Is there a way I can sell my Droid that is still under contract for myself until 8/2011? Does it have to be "unlocked" or anything like that?

Also this Droid is one I received earlier this month from an Asurion Insurance claim.

Thanks

xliderider

Reaction score
NandG, same thing. You can do as you like with the phone. It's up to you if you want to use a dumbphone or another smartphone on your line, it doesn't have to be the Droid.

jacobrv

Reaction score
Once you have your service transferred off the that phone and onto another (so the old one can't make calls anymore) you just have to factory reset it (or install a stock rom) and it's good to go. When somebody buys it, they will have to have the phone activated again on their account. The 2 year contract means you can't cancel your service, it don't lock you into your phone. The reason most people associate the phone with the contract is because while under contract you are not eligible for reduced cost upgrades (usually), but that doesn't stop you from paying full price and switching phones.

rlacsamana1989

Reaction score
But in order to sell it the phone must be off your account. In order to do this you must have another phone to put on the account in order to remove the droid from being attached to your number.

Or if you trade they can just switch them over but you will never be able to just remove the droid off that number with no phone attached to it. Unless you report the phone stolen and in that case the esn is no longer clean.

joeyvaz

Reaction score
I sold my Moto Q a while ago on Ebay when I upgraded to a Blackberry back then. It took a couple of times of me calling Verizon tech support for the ESN to be released from my account. When the person who bought it on Ebay received the phone, Verizon kept telling them the ESN wasn't released so they couldn't activate it on their account. Eventually it was all cleared up, but the buyer was getting frustrated and left feedback stating such.

When I upgrade to the X or cancel the account and got to the iPhone4 (not sure yet) I will be sure to have the ESN released before selling the Droid.

Hope this helps you.