Can I run multiple instances of the same launcher?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by tgpms, May 16, 2010.

1. tgpms

tgpms New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Basically, I want to have separate desktops for work and not-work. I know there are launchers/home replacements that offer that, but I'm stuck on Helix 2 and that won't change. So, unless there's an easier way, I'm wondering if I can have two copies of the launcher available to use (and change with Home Switcher I guess)? Seems possible, just not sure how to go about it, and google is no help. Suggestions?

Another option I could work with would be an easy way to change the default screen within the launcher without having to go to the configure screen, restart the launcher, etc.

And if it matters, I'm rooted on BB 1.0.

2. Vitticeps

Vitticeps Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I don't think you can run 2 instances of the same launcher but you can run two different launchers and switch between them. Or just use the stock launcher for work and Helix 2 for personal. Unless you need more than 3 screens for work.

3. tgpms

tgpms New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Really that's what I'm trying to avoid. I've tried all the launchers I think, but personally I have major issues with all of them except Helix2. I need to be less picky, I suppose.

It just seems to me like there should be an easy way to do it, but I'm noticing a lot of things that seem easy to me are a real PITA.

4. Zac7

Zac7 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I also wish there was a way to run two different variations of the same home replacement. I would compare it to htc sense where you can run different setups, such as one for work, one for home, things like that. I love helix1 and would like to have two running each with a different set up.

5. Vitticeps

Vitticeps Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have no idea if it's possible but is there a way to rename an app (not just the .apk) so you can have 2 instances installed?

6. Vulcan1600

Vulcan1600 DF Super Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +163
    I have an idea. Set up your Helix2 Launcher for work the way you want it. Do a backup of it and name it "work" or include that in the backup. Then create the Helix2 Launcher for your personal use and back that up. So, even though it might take 5 minutes, you'll at least have the desired effect depending if you're at work or at home.

Other than that, I can't think of another way to run Helix Launcher 2 twice.

7. Droids

Droids Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Home Switcher is probably the best bet, you'll just have to pick two similar but different launchers to use. I'm using Helix 2 and Launcher Pro, they look a lot alike, and Home Switcher makes it painless to switch back and forth.

8. Droids

Droids Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm almost willing to try this.... a bit leery of hosing the system though, and don't feel like doing a full backup of everything right now. Tempting.

9. Droids

Droids Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Made a copy of HelixLauncher2 called TestLauncher and put it in \system\app but the phone doesn't see it. I'm thinking launchers need to be registered in a file somewhere, like a reigistry of sorts.

10. tgpms

tgpms New Member

Ratings:
    +0

I just found out about Launcher Pro today, while trying to figure this thing out. I agree the renaming business seems like a bad idea as far as stability, so I pretty much had decided to do what you're suggesting here (with the same launchers). Thanks for reaffirming that. Hopefully someday Droid will do it.

Last edited: May 16, 2010
  11. Droids

Droids Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, a launcher with Android is like a shell in Windows. Windows uses explorer.exe as the shell, and it can be changed, but not on the fly. Kinda cool that Android allows the shell to be changed without a reboot. But I doubt we'll ever see two shells able to run at the same time, and be able to switch between them.

Doh, having said that, this is a Linux based OS so it's probably already doable, just not implemented yet.

Search tags for this page
android can we install multiple instances

android install same app twice

can i switch between two launchers at the same time
how to install same app twice on android
how to run same game several times on android

install same app twice android

install the same app twice android
is it ok to have several launchers running on android
run multiple instances of android app
run same app twice android