1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Can I read gmail on my computer?

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by Dafey, Apr 7, 2010.

1. Dafey

Dafey New Member

Can I read gmail on my computer?
  2. rwdfan

rwdfan New Member

Yup. Go to google.com, and click the gmail link on the top.
  3. armeddroid

armeddroid New Member

?
    Google.com > Gmail (on top) > log in.
  4. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

:welcome: to the Droid Forum Dafey. Not only can you, you should use your computer to read gmail.

You'll find that the computer is sometimes a quicker and easier resource for clearing up clutter and junk then your Droid is.

It's all one big happy family: Computer, Droid, Google, and gmail. They all work together.
  5. Sweettooth

Sweettooth New Member

One thing that's also good is that if you're synching your Gmail contacts, you can look at the entire list via Gmail on the computer, organize them, and then let the Droid do the synchage. For instance, my Droid was listing a few people more than once, with one contact being one of their email addresses, and another a telephone number(s). There are merge options on the phone but it's a lot easier to merge contact info via Gmail on the computer. :)
  6. number6

number6 New Member

It's also far easier to set up/manage labels and filters on a computer than on the droid itself. More elbow-room.
  7. zrikz

zrikz New Member

8. Skaggz

Skaggz New Member

I'm not trying to be mean, or nonconstructive. But, this thread actually made me laugh out loud.

Gmail was actually introduced 4.5 years before Android phones were released. So, yeah, you can access it by other means.
  9. modette

modette New Member

I laughed too, heck I thought it was an April Fools posting. Gmail is so common, I switched to it when it first came out and you had to invite people. It beats Hotmail, and Yahoo mail and all the others. I'm surprised at anyone that does not know about Gmail.

It is free, its fast, and it blocks junk real easy.

Wkipedia says: 176 Million Users and was started in beta back in 2004 (yep that is when I got mine).
  10. christim

christim Super Moderator

It's easy to forget how new things are when, well, when they are new:)

My mother in law wanted to get something from one page to another. I told her she needed to cut and paste it. Then had to explain that, then she wrote it down. I got as far as "you need to select all the text, copy it, then go to the other document". Then, as I was saying "You next need to paste it in" she was saying "I'm not going to do all that". Everything is new to someone at some point.
  11. Fraxinus

Fraxinus New Member

Definitely, definitely use Gmail on your computer. I used Hotmail way-back-when and I have a Yahoo account if I need to give out an email address anywhere sketchy. Gmail is *far* superior to these and gives a great online email experience. Check out the embedded help in Gmail for a lot of useful tips for learning to use all its powerful features and enjoy!
  12. armeddroid

armeddroid New Member

agreed...
    but then in that case...lol (no offense to the OP)
    How did the OP register for Droid Forums?
  13. jsh1120

jsh1120 New Member

In defense of the OP, I see this sort of thing a lot. New Droid owners frequently ask "Can I...?" or "Why can't I...?) with reference to Google apps. For those of us who've been using Google applications for several years, the questions are surprising. But for many new Droid users their first exposure to most Google applications (other than search) is likely to be on their new phone.

Such folks don't necessarily understand that the google apps on the Droid (e.g. gmail, calendar, gdocs, contacts, etc.) are not designed to be full fledged applications but extensions of or supplements to their counterparts on the web.

In designing the apps for the Droid I suspect that Google software designers had to make a number of tough choices about how much functionality to imbed in an app that would be accessed on a 3 inch screen. From looking at their products, it's pretty clear that they expect Droid owners to use their apps as supplements to the web applications, not as substitutes for them.

As another poster noted, if a particular google app (e.g. gmail) doesn't provide all the options you need, you're free to access it on your droid through the web browser. Or even more easily and productively through your laptop/desktop system.
  14. modette

modette New Member

Yeah it is hard for me to fathom but then again I was a CIO when I was 21. It really was a catch all job, from desktop support to hand on PC and server repair....oh well its what you do at a medium size company. Now, I'm not be into computers but still know my way around and can teach myself how to do something.

So yeah it is hard for me to understand in this day in age how people do not know how to cut and paste. After all we are talking people that are buying smartphones now so I assume they have a little computer geek in them. But then again the ease of use of OS has made people dumb (no offense to anyone). Back in DOS days you learned how to do things...I guess that is what I miss about those days you were forced to learn new things...same with Windows 3.x.
  15. Cyrus6001

Cyrus6001 New Member

Hey bud, you may want to remove your phone number from your profile. The section that is labled phone is for the model of phone you have, in your case the Moto Droid. You have your phone number there and everybody can see it.
  16. Dafey

Dafey New Member

Ok,Thanks.
  17. myriad46

myriad46 New Member

This kinda reminds me of the joke where a grandmother and grandchild are looking for the telephone, and after searching for a while, the grandson exclaims, "They should attach the phone to a table or something, so it stays in one place and you can't loose it!"

That being said, I'm terrified of the day, long from now, when my children are rolling thier eyes at my relative, techno-ignorance.
  18. markmicallef

markmicallef New Member

What planet have you been living on? :icon_eek: Or what rock did just climb from under?

Wait you just woke up from a 5 year coma, I should be more sensitive.:)
  19. canerday

canerday New Member

Hey - I'm one of those non techno geeks you all laugh at. I have a regular email address at att. When I bought a new phone they set up a gmail address on it. I want to keep my old address but read the gmail on my computer. When I try the suggestions above google won't let me add my in service gmail -just keeps saying it's unavailable. Any suggestions? I don't even care if you're laughing at me!
  20. Bratster2

Bratster2 New Member

Uhm, It sounds like you are creating a gmail account instead of logging in to an existing one.

You just want to log in with your gmail address and your password.
Search tags for this page
check my gmail from another computer

gmail computer page

how do i get gmail on my computer

how do i get my gmail on my computor
how do i get to my gmail from a home computer
how do i read my gmail from my verizon phone on my laptop
how to access gmail account from computer

how to access gmail on computer

how to access gmail work email from home computer

how to check gmail on computer

how to check gmail on my home computer